| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Info on these inexpensive double neck steels on ebay?
Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2012 2:09 pm    

Anyone have info on the double neck steels that come up on ebay fairly often, as below?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-neck-lap-steel-guitar-/261027191186

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tennessee-Double-Neck-Lap-Steel-Guitar-/180879673754
G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 20 May 2012 2:53 pm    

Try here....
http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/120873

gary
Rick Hanzlik

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2012 6:42 pm     Inexpensive double neck steels on eBay

I have purchased about four of these steel. The only double neck I got was as you would expect, very cheaply made. They use a wooden nut that seems to be made from some very soft wood, In one case, the bass string had busted out of the nut and I would have had to replace it.

One of the single neck units I got had a crack in the plastic fret board. And the frets were very poorly marked. When I raised the issue with the seller, he refunded my entire purchase price and told me to keep the guitar.

I have bought another one since, this is a single neck and Like someone on another blog said, I view it as a project guitar. I will replace the nut and fret board "one of these days". I haven't played Steel guitar in almost 30 years so I figure a cheap unit like this is probably good enough to relearn on.

Bottom line is; "You get what you pay for." It's not a fender d8 but if your just learning, it will probably work OK for you.

Rick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bill Brunt

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2012 6:58 pm    

I own one of the single-neck versions of this type. I had bought it for my grandson, and then traded him my Melbert 8-string. I have also owned an SX Lap-Pro, a very nice budget guitar.
I currently have a Remington Single 8, and a 1947 Rickenbacker bakelight, along with the little "Sunny" brand cheapie.

All that to say this, While the Remington is the most playable for me, and the Rickenbacker has hands down the best tone, I still play the little $85 steel as often as the others. Now, though it doesn't compare to any of the others, it was, out of the box, very playable. Extreme slants (two strings, two frets) can be tricky in the first couple of fret boxes, but other than that, no issues.
A good set of strings, and a metal nut with wider spacing - maybe 5/16 would be very cheap improvements.
The pickup could be improved upon, as the lower strings give what I have seen described as a sort of pft sound rather than ping. I see a lipstick pup in its future.

I got the hots for a double neck, and before I spring for a Remington D8, I decided to pick up one of these double necks off of the auction site yesterday morning.

If I prove to myself I can learn a second tuning, I will bite the bullet on a more expensive console, but until then, I have confidence the little double will do all I ask of it.

Just my 2cents worth.

I had asked on the forum for advice on replacing the pickup, and a generous forum member gave me a 12 string pickup. I decided the pickup deserved better than that guitar, so am buying the wood to build a guitar to put it on. How hard could it be, right?
Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2012 8:45 pm    

I played one at a local music shop and I got to say I thought it was pretty bad. Wood nut, cheap electronics, cheap tuners. It might have played a little bit better with a proper set of strings on it.
I enjoy a good project guitar, but this was pretty bad.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 20 May 2012 9:30 pm    

Hello Dina,
This is a bit of a tongue in cheek answer, because you have already had a couple of people say "you get what you pay for". It will do you for a few months or even a year.

I bought one a few years ago, and it was a good start for a learning tool, then I modified one neck, changed the nut,bridge/tailpiece to accomodate eight strings, added real mother of pearl fret markers,then changed all machine heads, both pickups, both pots, the switch, the pickguard, and the colour.

I like it much better now, but for the time I spent I could have made a new one from the ground up.
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 5:40 am    

I don't have woodworking tools so can't make my own from scratch.I bought one and started doing just what everyone has done-I was going to put seven on that 1st neck with parts I have laying around the shop,but got distracted and it is in limbo for now. I'd say if one is a bit handy and has the parts,it is a cheap way to get a workable guitar.
Bill Brunt

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 9:47 am    

When (and if) I replace the nut and bridge, and pickup, I think I will go ahead and glue a piece of hardwood under everything from nut to bridge, to get the back set of strings on a higher plane.

Hmmm, does that mean I will be playing on a higher plane?
That may be the only way:)
Thomas Temple

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 10:14 am     Another option

Awhile back I asked the exact same question on the exact same guitar and Brad basically said as have others "you get what you pay for". It seems that a lot of the forum members have the knowledge and skills to make major modifications or even in some cases to just "build from scratch". As for myself I am all thumbs and that applies not only to my abilities for modifying and/or building, but my playing ability as well. But will put in a link to the advice that Brad gave and although I did not go this route it may be an alternative worth looking into.
Tom
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=214756&highlight=
Bill Brunt

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 1:37 pm     Beware!

Beware, even the most unassuming steel guitar is just a gateway into more addictive and expensive guitars!!

It is like trying to eat just one Lay's potato chip, or trying crack cocaine just once.

Or se
...well never mind, you get the picture.
G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 2:49 pm    

If you want a project guitar...Well, I guess they are a ready shaped piece of wood. I felt the same way about the Rondo SX. After I replaced the tuners, (one was bad!)The pickup, the electronics, the bridge, and worked the nut to get a level plane.... I had a decent guitar. If I ever want another "project" guitar I think I will just buy one of the bodies that George Boards has for sale and build it from the body up so to speak. Easier, better quality, and likely cheaper.