| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gene Watson's steel player?
Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2012 5:59 pm    

Gene is touring through western Canada in May. Does he use a steel player on this tour? If so, who is it?
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 8:29 am     gene watson

Doug Johnson form C.A

p.w Smile
John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 12:08 pm    

Looking at Danny Naccarato's website, he is playing steel for Gene.

http://dannynacc.com/

John L.

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 12:20 pm    

I'm going to the Ray Price & Gene Watson show on May 20th and Danny said he'd see me there. Maybe he had some time off and needed a sub.
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 12:47 pm    

Saw Gene Watson and The Farewell Party Band yesterday afternoon here in San Antonio.Danny was playing his MSA through a Nashville 400.Band was super.....and so was Gene!!

As a bonus before Gene and his band did their thing Justin Trevino sang for 2 hours......his band was Smiley Reynolds on drums,John Shattenberg on fiddle,Randy Reinhard on steel,and a guitar player that I've never seen before....but he had a great sounding Strat and knew how to make it sing.

Towards the end of Justin's portion Frenchie Burke got onstage and did about 4 songs.

All this for an admission price of $2....what a score!!
Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 6:41 pm    

Well Mike – it’s $48.00 a seat up here – that’s some exchange rate. On the other hand, it sounds like it will be a great show. Thanks to you all. As I should have known, Gene will have a good steeler on stage.
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 7:40 pm    

Gene is not taking the Farewell party band on his Canadian tour because of the length of time they would be gone. He uses a band in Canada, same one he used last year I believe.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 9:26 pm    

Thanks folks. It's becoming increasingly difficult to bring the bus across the border as well as other logistics. Gene is using some fine Canadian musicians on the Canada run. Right after that we pick up on the east coast in NC and PA. This week will find us in IL, TN and TX.

In June he will be doing several Fan Fest events, then we will head out to IN, WI, MN and SD, all in about 10 days....
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 May 2012 2:04 am    

Doug Johnson WILL be doing those Canadian dates, according to the promoter.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 May 2012 4:25 am    

John Lacey wrote:
Doug Johnson WILL be doing those Canadian dates, according to the promoter.

That's correct John.
Doug told me that he will be working with Gene on the Canadian tour.
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 May 2012 4:09 pm    

Dangit. Its almost worth me making the trip to Colborne this summer since he isnt coming any further east than Ontario
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 4:31 am    

We talked a bit about it on the bus this weekend. Gene was very complimentary about Doug's playing....
Shannon Cooke

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 7:46 pm    

We had the pleasure to open for Gene friday night and what a show these guys put on! Danny was great as well as the rest of the band! I could have sat an listened to them for hours. Well done guys!!
Shannon
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 8 May 2012 2:25 am    

Very Happy

Last edited by Johnny Cox on 21 May 2012 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Brian Ostrom

Old Chelsea Quebec Canada
Post  Posted 8 May 2012 7:18 am     Canada tour

I already booked my tickets for his showcase. The date also includes Ronda Vincent so I think it's worth the 5 hour run to see him. It's sad that the economy dictates the band stay behind . I really would have liked to catch them , but I know Doug and crew will do him justice . Fuel cost's effect everything!!!!
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 9 May 2012 6:54 am    

Johnny Cox wrote:
In other words Danny, Gene is doing more dates without his band. The exact reason I left Gene. Mr. Watson leaves the Farewell Party Band at home a lot these days and does dates with other bands to keep himself working. It was that way last year when I worked there. I'm a huge Gene Watson fan, but couldn't make a living playing for him. There is something to be said when a musician can make a better living with a regional act than he can with a national star that has had as many hits as GW. Just sayin.

I hear what you're saying Johnny, but it's been pretty good this year and again, thanks so much for being one of the folks who referred me. Other than the Canada and England dates (with a couple of small time Nashville 1 or 3 song things), we are doing all the dates. I can't complain as we've done over 15 dates the early part of this year, with 50+ booked so far and more coming in, what I've heard. Smile I've done the overseas thing multiple times over the years and don't mind not having to jack with those. Matter of fact, one of the benefits is knowing those dates are open for us to book elsewhere, or take a vaca. I took advantage and used the time to book some dates in Calif and also south Texas with a Rockabilly act from Baltimore. HA. Plus as you know, there are lots of picking opportunities around town, when off.

However, you are right, when we chatted last winter, that it is not for the musician wanting to work 100+ dates a year, which actually fits me & and guys ok... I think Smile

Danny
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 15 May 2012 4:39 pm    

I feel a little sad when I read these posts about Gene not using his band on so many gigs and the income being what it is. The ten years I worked for him in the 70s and 80s were just so busy for us... 6 weeks out on the road, 3 days home and then repeat the whole thing over again and again. It was a great paying gig as we did 3 to 6 one-nighters per week, all the TV shows and then his albums and hit records as well for about 5 years. Plus, I got some extra $$ for driving the buses too. But that was in his prime days and time has a way of being cruel on musicians. I know Johnny Cox can relate as he was beating the road pretty hard in those days too.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear that the schedule works out well for you Danny and I wish you all the best. I still remember visiting with your Dad in Hurley at his shop back nearly 40 yrs. ago. He was a great guy.

John Lacy, good to see your post on here and I hope you're well my friend. I always loved making our many trips to all parts of Canada and it was sure great to see you in Edmonton. Emmons and Evans... right John.?.?

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" O.
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 May 2012 4:43 am    

Those were fine days, Tiny. I sure enjoyed the Gene Texas bands when I heard them over the years and really enjoyed backing him up a couple of years ago. Gear's changed a bit now, it's Zumsteel and Webb now with the Emmons and Evans at home for backup!
Doug Johnson

Brantford, Ont. Canada
Post  Posted 17 May 2012 4:35 am    

I got home last night from the gig of a lifetime. Having played now on Gene Watson's stage my normal routine is going to take some getting used to again.

Danny- thank you so much for your graciousness about Gene using Canadians for that part of his tour. Many might not understand and feelings can get hurt. You have nothing to worry about, Gene talks very highly about you guys. I would very much like to meet you somewhere in your travels.

John Lacey, I am sad I missed you. It would have been nice to see you my friend.

Tiny, we used to see you an awful lot back in the day. I was working with Terry Sumsion here in Canada and we ran across you boys many times. Gene and I had a long chin wag about you. He is very fond of you and your playing.

Thank you to those too numerous to mention that came by to say hello. Yes I couldn't get the smile off my face, like I said, the gig of a lifetime for me.

As a side note I want to thank Al Brisco and the boys at ETS for putting together my guitar for this trip. It will see many more flight miles. A great little guitar and it has a big sound. I am very happy with it.
Chuck Lawson

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 May 2012 7:33 am     Re steel player

We went to see Gene last week in Lethbridge Alberta.I have to say it was one of the best concerts I have been to. They played the best CLASIC COUNTRY thats out there.Doug on steel was GREAT.I would have liked to talk with him but we were in a hurry.I have been to a lot of concerts but I must say this ones the best.The whole band was great.
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 17 May 2012 12:44 pm    

We're on the bus now Doug and Gene was big time impressed with your steel....great things to say abouT you and the guys.

If you ever run into Burke Carroll, please say hi for me. I used to have an office in Mississauga in the 80s, travelled there a lot, and got to know him well.

Y'all are some really killer steelers up there. Smile

Congrats......
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 8:42 am    

Gene had good things to say about the trip recently on fb:

Quote:
Gene Watson
Headed out now on the bus for NC but wanted to to say I really enjoyed my time in Canada. The fans were fantastic and so nice. My Canadian Farewell Party Band was just outstanding and they are great guys. On the Poutain, I want you to know that I meant to try the fries with gravy 'cause I will say I do love some gravy on just about anything but just never was at the right place or time. That will just be something I'll look forward to on the next trip.
Gotta thank Colin Lovequist at CKRM Radio for the interview and everything he did and of course Tim Tobias for a great job. Thanks Gary and Linda too for all the help. ...
[/quote]
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 11:42 am    

Sandy and I saw Gene & Ray last night in Lancaster Pa. and what a great show it was. Danny sounded great (as usual) and the band worked well together.
Gene sang as well as ever. How he can hit those high notes and hold them so long is amazing. He sings as great now as he ever did.
Ray Price is one of the greatest singers of all time. Even at 86 years young he nailed everything. I saw him about 2 years ago and I think he actually got better since then if thats possible.
My friend and steel guitar fixer Mike Cass was with Ray again and as always he played like someone who deserves to be with a legend.
Mike and Danny are awesome pickers and nice people so if you get a chance to see them play please do. You'll be more than glad if you do.
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 7:38 pm    

Thanks so much Ben. It was a special day in many ways, one that I will never forget for a special reason.

I am sorry I didn't get to visit more. Seems we were pulled in all different directions. It was great seeing you again. Im sure we'll be back that way again....

Danny

PS. Cass rocks........PERIOD. Smile