| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  King Burns part of the Phoenix steel guitar family passed
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2012 1:30 pm    

If you have attended any of the Southwestern Steel Guitar Association events including our shows you will remember King - he was a gentle giant and loved the steel guitar.

Raised on a ranch and loved country music.

As you came in to any of our shows you will have seen "Bull Dog" Brown who checks badges and with that half a smile King was always near by.

King and Gloria (her real name) did not miss any event we have had. King has been ill for some time now but always managed to gather enough strength to come to our events. In March we had a jam and we all knew he was not doing well but he was there with that smile. He told me that there would only be one way that he would not be there and that was if he was not breathing.

RIP Mr King we will all miss you.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Last edited by Joe Naylor on 14 May 2012 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Merrill & Vangie Fich

Yuma, Az.
Post  Posted 13 May 2012 9:05 pm    

Sorry to hear this news! We loved King and always looked forward to seeing him at the SWSGA events. He fought a brave fight, and he is now at peace and out of pain. RIP dear friend. Our love and prayers go out to Gloria. We love you!

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 12:14 pm    

A tragedy I knew was coming has taken place. Sad

King and Gloria had a special bond with me because my product table was always next to the front door of the auditorium. We'd chat endlessly and King would look after my table if I was away doing something else.

"Gentle Giant" is a totally apt description of this wonderful man. The Phoenix show, wonderful as it is and getting better all the time, will somehow now be missing an important element for me.

Rest easy, my King, your burdens are over.
bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 12:47 pm    

prayers to the burns family. bruce & lynn

Gilbert, Arizona
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 5:01 pm    

I was told this was going to happen, but somehow you just push it out of your mind and expect prayer to bring miracles. Our Heavenly Father wanted King with him rather than with us. God knows best. King and Gloria have definitely been fixtures at the Phoenix show. King's absence will be felt for many years. I just pray that our Heavenly Father will bless Gloria and bring her comfort during this most difficult time. King, you were a very good friend to the SWSGA and each and every member. Rest in peace my gentle friend.
Sam Marshall

Chandler, AZ USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 7:42 pm    

I am so sorry to learn of King's passing. He & Gloria always put a smile on my face at SWSGA gatherings. My thoughts are with Gloria at this time. I will treasure King's sketch that I purchase at a SWSGA auction.

With sympathy,
Sam
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2012 4:28 pm     Just got an email

Gloria Brown, said that it was King's wish that there'd be no funeral or memorial service. He was cremated this afternoon and his ashes will be sprinkled over the Superstition Mountains, as per his decree.

Gloria "Bulldog" said she will continue to be active with future SWSGA events. She seemed to be in good spirits...she knew the end was near and had been mentally prepared.

So we can all look forward to Gloria being at the show door.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Frank Carter

Yuma, Az
Post  Posted 16 May 2012 1:34 pm    

GLORIA,
Remember you are surrounded by Love.
Frank & Fran
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2012 7:13 pm    

The SWSGA as well as the entire steel guitar community has lost one of our best in the form of King Burns. He will indeed be missed by each of us. His gentle ways always seemed to over ride any other feelings except for his enthusiasm for the steel guitar and its music. King and Gloria have been invaluable to our association and I have been assured that Gloria will continue to take a large role. God Bless you King and Gloria; you are jewels!!

Billy and Meriul Easton
Al Risbeck

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2012 9:31 am    

So sorry to hear this, Dixie & I will miss him for sure, but we will be glad Gloria will be there to "check us in" she always gives me a bad time about my ID badge being turned backwards or my having forgot to put it on. We have had fun with both her and King. King will probably find the "lost Dutchman " now that he will be up there with time to look for it.

Al & Dixie Risbeck
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 18 May 2012 9:56 pm    

So very sorry to hear this about King.
Gentle Giant are the appropriate words to describe him for sure..
He was such a nice man & will be missed by
all who ever met him.
Out thoughts & prayers are with Gloria & the rest of their families.
Ron & Chris Whitworth

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Fred Martin

Phoenix, Az
Post  Posted 20 May 2012 7:27 pm    

That was a really nice gentleman. I got one of his calenders that he made to support the club this year. My condolences to Gloria and the family.