| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  San Antonio, Tx - Steel Guitar Jam
Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 8:48 am    

We had a good turnout at the San Antonio Steel guitar jam. My wife didn't get pictures of Mike Kowalick but he played an Emmons and played it very well. We had spectators that didn't bring their equipment. (Wade Austin, Sonny Jenkins and Don Bierstead sp? and maybe others. There was also an 8 string beautiful Dobro there. Thanks Joe Rouse for getting it all together.

Roger Edgington - Zumsteel

Reggie Amos - Fender 6 string

Dean Schilling - Trumpet

Mike Ester -Carter

Dean Schilling - Zumsteel

Dave Goodman - Justice

Billy Gilbert - 8 string keyless.

Ken Metcalf - Carter

David Jones - Williams

Al Michaklczak - Zumsteel

Don Beirstead (sp) Didn't bring his equipment but he can sure ham it up. LOL

Last edited by Roger Edgington on 4 Jun 2012 11:29 am; edited 4 times in total
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 12:56 pm     San Antonio jam......

My favorite moments of this month's jam were:

1.Roger Edgington playing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"......expertly done and real evidence that the pedal steel is not just for country music....

2.Dean Schilling and his trumpet.....really blended in with all the rest of the instruments on hand.

I hope to see Roger and Dean again next month!!
Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 1:34 pm     San Antonio Steel Guitar and Western Swing Jam Session

Thank you Roger, I haven't recuperated enough to put much out today but I do have to say ditto to what Mike said. We had the best of the jam sessions Sunday. Several of the audience wanted to know how we put so many steel players together.I told them we were going to blackmail the steel players if they didn't show up(LOL)...A really great day and we "Thank" all the steel players and all who played in the band and of course Judy for taking pictures....jr
Jim Blakey

SanAntonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 5:41 pm     SA Jam

I have to agree also. Roger makes it all worth while and not only a great player, but a just a really nice person as well. He is always answering questions and showing the other folks how he plays that beautiful Zum steel guitar. Roger, your a class act and a pleasure to know.I was agreeing with Mike on (Some Where Over The Rainbow) was down right great,the other folks did great also. Mike, that is one nice Emmons guitar.

Last edited by Jim Blakey on 8 May 2012 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Menges

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 6:47 pm     great show

Roger, you are kind putting this on the forum. A lot of thanks goes to Joe Rouse. He had a dream of a format that we all could be a part of. Some of us play in the shower so to speak.ha you and al of to great players make us feel at home even if we don't burn up the pedals. Keep up this format and great things will happen. Thanks to everyone that makes us all feel welcome

Bill menges Very Happy Very Happy
Brian Folks

N. Padre Island, Tx.
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 8:00 pm     San Antonio Jam...

Roger you definitely played superb, as well as the other's that attended...Carolyn and I always enjoy attending and being a part of a "Great Jam"...Bro. Joe know's how to put one on...Thanks for all that you and Judy have contributed...hope to see you all back the 3rd of June, until then as they say "Keep on Pickin"...
Brian and Carolyn Too!!! Cool Cool
Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2012 6:21 am    

I had a blast at this event. I'm looking forward to the next event.

It was nice to be able to put names and faces together for the first time.

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.
Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 8 May 2012 12:35 pm     San Antonio Steel Guitar and Western Swing Jam Session

I need to put another 2 cents worth in. The band we have playing with us is great. They play once a month for us and seem to have a great time. The players are Ken Piper vocals, fiddle, bass, and guitar, Jim Blakey lead guitar, Brian Folks drums, Nancy Kozur fiddle, Brother Jerry Boatright bass, Phil Boring guitar, Sonny Jenkin bass, Cliff Barrow vocals and guitar, and Mike Quillian bass. Reggie Amis is the steel player playing the Fender 6 string. And I must mention how much we enjoyed Dean Schilling playing his trumpet.Once again "THANK YOU" to all who made this the best jam session we've had...Joe Rouse
Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2012 6:53 pm    

Thanks for all the compliments but I put this on to show how many players showed up. We have steelers at all levels and that's what this gathering is all about, to help each other out. Everyone contributes in some way. I'm always glad to help someone so maybe they can enjoy this beatiful instrument as much as I do. And yes Joe I'm very grateful for the band as well. The venue is great and the people at the American Legion bend over backwards to try to please us. Be sure and tell them thanks at the jams. Very Happy
Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2012 6:56 pm    

Roger, I would have loved to be there with you guys. Anywhere you are playing, you can bet great music is being played. I hope to see you in St Louie in Sept. Lonnie

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2012 4:04 pm    

Thanks Lonnie. I always enjoy picking with you. I'm planning on being in St Louis. Shocked
Dave Goodman

San Antonio, TX, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 May 2012 11:06 am     San Antonio Steel Guitar Jam

I also plan on being there. Good turnout last time because this is a really fun jam.
Mark Moseley

Brady,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2012 5:48 pm     san antonio jam

deal me in, I am sorry I missed the last one. Great fun!
Dean Schilling

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2012 10:43 am     Great Jam 6MAY

Well, this is a first-time post for me... hope it shows up OK.

We certainly did enjoy ourselves that Sunday afternoon. I almost fell out of my chair seeing my pix today!

Thank you very much for the fine comments. I try to blend in as much as possible with the fills, etc.

Glad everyone had a great time, and looking forward to playing next month, 3JUN12.

Very Happy Dean Schilling