| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I think that it is a Paul Franklin lick thats tying me up
Don Hinkle

Springfield Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2012 11:57 am    

I am the type of player that likes to learn the songs that my cover band is doing, as close to the original that I can. Not to be a jukebox, but if I put my licks in every song, I have not grown at all.
After learning as many of the pro's licks, I try to store them in my own "back of tricks" you might say.

While learning Faith Hills "Piece of my heart" holy cow.
lots of great playing throughout that diddy.
I think that it is Paul Franklin playing int that song but I am not sure.

If so - hats off to you Paul!
btw - I slow it down to pick it apart and then slowly put it back to normal speed after I learn it good enough. I finally have it up to 100% speed - its a great (but short) break in there... but CLEAN!!!

Ok - done rambling.
Don
Fender guitars
Fender amps
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2012 2:25 pm    

Hey Don. Yeah I do the same as you! I like to play the original stuff that the session player recorded becuase it challenges me to learn new stuff. Thats the best way to learn complicated passages. break them down and build them back up. That is teh wasy Paul teaches his courses and for me they work really good. I'll have to have a listen to that saong and have a go at it. Ive had a Mark Chestnut CD in my trucks CD player for a week now with Paul all over it, awsome licks!
Quentin
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 8:11 am    

Hey Don , Great post about Pauls or anyones originals, They will tie you up for days or months,We`ve all been there & I havent got that kinda time.
We`re never going to be Paul Franklin on PSG (ever)THANK GOD thats alot of responsbility, practice, & possibly to much or not enough MULA

One thing that is for sure, Being yourself on stage is the most comfortable way to play and sound good, so you can feel the music.
I have these liks that i`ve created since I began and they still come out naturally even though I hate them at times,
but it is a response to any song that can become a standing ovation (its called style) Its like your survival mode kicks in automatically,
Straying away from that would kill any song instantly.

Not to take away learning anew version of your style, Because you`ll get sick of that one eventually too... (you know what I mean)
I`ve discovered something, I`ll try to explain it in laimans terms,
Please dont take this to heart.

As a young kid, How many times did your parents tell you, to SHUT THE DAMN LIGHT OFF! Or : turn that radio down !(alot! correct me if I`m wrong)
It means dont waste energy thats not yours! so make it yours and you`ll play the bill, Naturally

another is taking advice when your 19 years old (RIIIIGHTT ) we`ve learned from experience to listen better as we got older
Listen to your band mates without getting confused (keep hurt feelings out of the picture, natural reactions will happen)
This is very hard for me to deal with personally, I was raised with boxing gloves on by an ARMY MAN, God bless him.

The not growing part of your statement (You should`nt listen to your head on this, Its simply not true)
we`re bombarded by this Mind F*#K at every setting and I hate that feeling, because I go & spend more money.
We really should`nt kid ourselves about this, because weve learned how to attack the most difficult instrument in the world,
and of course whatever else comes with it,
I myself even forget that: its just music and I`m just a peon that loves the sound of the instrument. It makes me crazy at times.

Make it yours and you`ll be much happier
I mean no disrespect here its just my opinion.
So: "try it, you`ll like it" Evil Twisted but Cool

Best Regards
Craig

Post  Posted 2 May 2012 5:36 am    

Don,

Most students don't take the time or are defeated by the difficulties of achieving this level of musicianship......There is no reason to give in to an attitude that says you can never be as good as someone else so why try? Your favorites never walked away from learning what they would love to play........

To find a tasteful original style first learn what has been played in music.....Once you learn others solos, licks, scales, theory etc.. then mix those ideas up... Over time and with gig experiences you will grow into a creative musician with direction...."Direction" being the key that unlocks the door........

Your adapted method of learning is like putting ingredients into a stew......Once you have mastered learning this way.....Your stew is always boiling with many more ingredients waiting to be thrown in for a different taste....Those pro lick combinations you have learned are creatively endless when you reach a point where you can dissect them and play them in a random order.......That's what most call improvisation.

I tell all my students, when learning never accept a defeated attitude....They can do anything with the right mindset. Learn everything they hear, and like, with the license to vary everything they learn when they play.......Learning this way builds a library of great sounding riffs. The best kind of gig insurance.

PF
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2012 7:44 am    

Is this great stuff Very Happy or what !
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 2 May 2012 10:43 am    

talk about tied up, try playing along with Don't Rock The Jukebox! Shocked
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2012 1:17 pm    

Very wise words Paul. The repertoire of songs or licks that I have, about 90% came from learning the licks off records, CD's, TV, or just anywhere I could hear steel guitar. I've copied rides from songs that I knew I would never play in my life but learned so much from doing so and also in that, developed my own style. I've also heard comments like, why do you want to copy that, it's already done so do something different. That is well and good but no two people play alike. Me coping something somebody else has done may sound close but not the same. I learn the lick and then use my on flavor of personality. One thing I dislike about todays country music is that the steel is always so far back in the mix that I can't tell what they are doing on a lot of stuff. Don't Rock The Juke Box was clear and out front but Piece OF My Heart isn't and can't tell what steel is doing. Of course, in my older age, have lost alot of highs so that may be the problem.---Henry

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 3 May 2012 3:25 am    

Franklin wrote:
Don,

Most students don't take the time or are defeated by the difficulties of achieving this level of musicianship......There is no reason to give in to an attitude that says you can never be as good as someone else so why try? Your favorites never walked away from learning what they would love to play........

To find a tasteful original style first learn what has been played in music.....Once you learn others solos, licks, scales, theory etc.. then mix those ideas up... Over time and with gig experiences you will grow into a creative musician with direction...."Direction" being the key that unlocks the door........

Your adapted method of learning is like putting ingredients into a stew......Once you have mastered learning this way.....Your stew is always boiling with many more ingredients waiting to be thrown in for a different taste....Those pro lick combinations you have learned are creatively endless when you reach a point where you can dissect them and play them in a random order.......That's what most call improvisation.

I tell all my students, when learning never accept a defeated attitude....They can do anything with the right mindset. Learn everything they hear, and like, with the license to vary everything they learn when they play.......Learning this way builds a library of great sounding riffs. The best kind of gig insurance.

PF
. " 'direction' being the key that unlocks the door......." . Ponder that.
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 3 May 2012 5:11 am     Master notes

I`d like to print and frame this in my office .

Springfield Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2012 6:18 pm    

Thanks for the encouraging words Paul.
I made this post couple of weeks ago and have since mastered (I use this term VERY loosley, and with intended humor) the lick.
We played the song last weekend and I asked the drummer if he would start the song off 8 bpm slower than the original and I nailed it. I actually had the lick up to speed at home.. so its good.

This method is how I have always learned music. I have been learning Brent, Albert, Vince, Roy, Randy Rhoads, Johnny Highland.. you name it , on the telecaster.

I have adopted the same methods for the pedal steel and its just how I roll.
I will pick the lick apart piece by piece (alot of times by slowing it down) and 1st of all, learn the lick correctly. Try to listen to the timbre and try to play it in the same position that the author is playing it.

After I learn it slow, I slowly bring it up to speed until I can play it fluently and like Paul eluded to, I then play it ,and parts of it, forwards and backwards in different keys, timing (1/4's, 1/8's, triplets etc...) and THEN, I put those ideas in my bag of tricks.

I think that every player who improvises, has a huge bag of tricks - it comes from years and years of learning licks, and creating your own obviously.

Enough rambling...

Thanks for the positive replies.
Don
Fender guitars
Fender amps
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 7:45 am    

Never Give Up!

Get mad, annoyed, depressed, frustrated, afraid, concerned, determined and stubborn...

But Never Give Up!

One day it will all come together in those Golden Moments of joy and accomplishment.

(It's a lot like being married and having children.)