| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter Starter LKL knee Lever problem solved
Rick Newman

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2012 12:00 am    

For anyone having a problem with the stop screw on LKL knee lever on a Carter Starter I have solved it thanks to Al Brisco, Steel Guitars of Canada.
Heres what to do:
From a piece of aluminum make a piece app. 3/4 inch square x 3/16” thick for the LKL knee lever to stop against.
I remove the existing stop screw & drill a hole for it in the outside corner towards the keyhead end & to the front of the guitar.
I also file app. 1/16” off part of the bottom of the aluminum piece so it sits level partly on the wood bottom & partly on metal bracket holding the B pedal cross-shaft.

This way the LKL knee lever hits a level solid piece every time, making it tune up better.
Thank you Al!!!
This works!!!
I am very happy with my Carter Starter, been playing for 4 months now,getting better everyday!!! Very Happy
I am 53 and the Carter Starter is GREAT to learn on!!!
For anyone having doubts about learning, If I can do it you can. Just wish I started earlier in my life.
I actually play this instrument better than a guitar!!!
Thanks to everyone on SGF!!!

Ricky Newman
Kevin Lichtsinn

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2012 5:44 am    

Thanks for posting. I have not noticed that my CS has this problem, but I will keep the info in mind just in case the problem arises. I am 58 and wishing I had started playing the PSG long, long ago!! Smile Smile
Rick Newman

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 3:08 am     Here is a pic.

Dean Acoustic Electric
Peavey Nashville 112
Roland Cube 80X Amp
Boss Delay
Hilton Volume Pedal
Colin Mclean

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Post  Posted 27 May 2012 10:01 pm    

Bizarre! I just did this same fix myself! I also have a Carter Starter.

My whole thing though started with the tab that the lever is attached to...soft, cheap metal, it always bent back towards me as I was playing, thus throwing the lever's tuning out of whack. Does yours do this?

To fix that I welded a piece of 1'8 metal on the tab to thicken it and make it more rigid. Problem was, it then made the lever miss the stop I had made for it a few years ago (lag stud with a small hex nut on it) so I came up with a similar plate idea:

As you can see I originally drilled 2 holes to either side, to mount it to the bracket. But both screws got inthe way of the shaft collars for the lever and the B pedal so one screw in the middle will have to do. You can also see the thicker tab in the pic, that the lever is attached to.