| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Professional - Red SD-10 - rebuild*- SOLD***
Todd Brown

W. Columbia , South Carolina
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 4:49 pm    

This is a rebuild that I finished about 2 months ago. So many things done and new parts, let me see if I can list it all.

It's a Rack and Barrel Professional. Serial #4359. Approx. build date Oct. '73. Originally was an 8 & 4 D-10. I did the conversion on it, changing it to an SD-10 4 & 4.

On top:
Original finish. In very good condition, which is why I kept it original. Of course after 40 years, it has a few dings and nicks, but still beautiful! The body is in great shape! No cracks behind the changer on this one. Original metal fretboard. Original tapped single coil, recently rewound by Jerry Wallace. Tapped at 17k & 9K. Really cool tone with the 9K tap! The front switch is the tap. The switch above the input is an on/off switch for the pickup. The original changer endplate was swapped for an LDG endplate for a clean, closed up look. The changer was totally disassembled, cleaned, and lubed. The tooled pad was done by me. It is attached using Velcro tabs. That was my choice, so not to drill holes in the body. I blacked out the inside of the keyhead ala "Bigsby". Brand New Grover Rotomatics 18:1 Ratio! You have to literally turn one of the keys for this guitar to go out of tune! It could set for a week untouched and the opens not be out of tune! Has about a 2 week old set of Sid Hudson's Live Steel Strings on it. Nickel, custom gauges. I've left the empty's so you'll know what gauges I have her set up for.

The pedal board was totally disassembled, cleaned and lubed and put back together. The inside of the pedal board was blacked out. The axle was shortened appropriately for 4 pedals. New quick connects and Stainless pedal rods from Michael Yahl. Some of Dave Flanagan's rod markers. NOS pedal bar decal from James Morehead.

Under the Hood:
All 4 Teardrop knee levers are brand new and fully adjustable. The 2 outside levers are from Michael Yahl. The 2 inside levers and cross shafts are from James Morehead. New LKL linkage and stop from Michael. New Stainless pull rods w/ polished heads from James. Everyone of the brass adjuster barrels are Brand New from Michael. Brand new return springs on all racks. Pedal stop screws are also brand new.

You will see that if it has not been replaced with new, it has been cleaned, polished, or painted to look new! Alot of time, care and love went into this project. I made every effort to do the cleanest Sho-Bud conversion I have ever seen. The only sign remaining that tells this was once a D-10 is under the pad. The C6 changer hole was plugged with maple and topped with wood filler. The holes for the C6 keyhead have been filled on the endplate, original D-10 endplate swapped. From the bottom ,to the top, even from the side, this baby looks it's always been an SD-10. And that's what I was trying to do.

The original case is included. Very good serviceable condition. Has an old airline tag on it. Adds to the vibe! Winking A new leg bag and cover from Steel guitar Nashville is also included in the deal.

Like I said, I finished rebuilding this in February. I played it out before the rebuild and several times since then. There are plenty of recent videos of me playing this steel on youtube if anyone doubts that this thing plays.

When I rebuilt this, my plan was to keep it for life, but now, I'm on the hunt for another one! Confused
I don't think, I know, I'm gonna miss this one. If it's still up here a week from now, I'm liable to just keep it, and sell a different one. You will NOT find another one like this! Everything on here has been lubed with Tri-Flow(the right kind!), and nothing else. Absolutely amazing pedal and lever action! I'd put this one up next anyone's R&B rebuild or conversion!

You will not be disappointed if you are the lucky buyer! You'll know what gauge strings are on it. It is setup to the Newman tuning. With that info, she's ready to gig right outta the case! Add to that, I will guarantee everything I've stated in this ad to be 100% correct and true! Stay away from the junk on ebay, this one, is the one you want! Smile

Copedent:
pedals A,B,C - standard Emmons

pedal 4 - 4th string raise to F#( Some folks refer to this as the Mooney pedal. Usually in the 8th pedal position, but I find it very comfortable to swing my right foot over to use 2 feet with it in position 4)

LKL - raise E's
LKR - raises 1, 2 & 7
RKL - lower E's
RKR - lowers 2 & 9

Finally, some pics Whoa!

Hope that's enough pics! Laughing You should be able to get a good look at what you're buying!

$2000 + shipping FIRM!! I'll ship it anywhere as long as you're paying. Very Happy Paypal preferred. We'll split paypal fee. Donation WILL be sent to b0b immediately after sale! Cool

Last edited by Todd Brown on 23 Apr 2012 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
James Bredouw

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 6:22 pm     Got you a buyer

Hi Todd - email sent. Have a firm full price solid buyer for you..
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 6:25 pm    

Hello Todd;
That is absolutely beautiful !!
I am not in the market for another pedal steel, but
if I were looking, I would be talking to you.
You did a very nice pro rebuild on this guitar.
Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Todd Brown

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 6:31 pm    

Email incoming, James! Smile
Stan Schober

Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 8:23 pm    

You sure did a great job on her, Todd.
Makes me miss her ever more...

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 9:07 pm    

Thanks, guys! It really does play and sound as good as it looks! Mr. Green Looks like, here shortly, I'll be missing her too, Stan. Confused Looks like I caught on to the R & B pretty good, huh? Winking These really are great guitars if setup properly. Simple and efficient, and rock solid!
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 11:00 pm    

Excellent restoration Todd
hat's off Winking
Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 4:11 am    

Terrific work Todd... she looks fantastic!

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 8:14 am    

Thanks again, fellas! Looks like she's on her way to Wisconsin. Going to a well known musician! Very Happy Payment has been received, go ahead and close this one up. b0b, you've got a $60 donation headed your way! Cool Thanks for providing this forum !!! Very Happy