| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CA: JayDee's Seminar
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2012 9:29 am    

I had a great time at JayDee's seminar on Saturday. A great learning experience as well as a great hang! And many thanks to Jim Palenscar, too.

I learned some new stuff but what I really took away from it was how much more important understatement, taste, tone, intonation and bandstand etiquette is in the real world, compared to hot licks and speed chops. As well as really knowing the instrument top to bottom and from one end of the fretboard to the other. These are JayDee's greatest assets and the majority of his recording and live career is really based on this.

Here's hoping there will be more!
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2012 10:07 am    

Yeah, it was a fun day. Much thanks to JayDee and Jim.
Let's do it again...
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2012 10:32 am    

It was a very fun day, learned some new ideas and approaches to moving around the neck and I can't wait to crash and burn trying them out next weekend at the LA steel jam! Smile

JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo
kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2012 12:22 pm    

What a blast was had by all... Jim did an outstanding job hosting that event. JayDee gives it all back, what a tremendous opportunity for a player to have the kind of insight JayDee brings to that kind of venue. What is really needed too is for JayDee to teach a class to non steel players on band stand etiquette. The thing I walked away with was to play with taste through understated playing.. Tough to do.,. JayDee is the master. Thanks Jim and Jaydee!!! for everything.
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2012 5:23 pm    

It was great! This old dog really did learn some new tricks! Thanks Jay Dee....you're the man!
Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2012 5:40 pm    

Had the opportunity to sit side stage during many Dsert Rose shows during their touring days. Absolutely awesome! His chord padding blew me away.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2012 4:23 am    

A little off topic, but I'm sure Jay Dee's seminar was very informative, glad to hear all the positive feedback.

So today I drove to Gerry Walker's home factory to pick up my new Studio Pro Stereo Steel (that's what I'm calling my very customized SS, trying to convince Gerry Dog that he should market it thusly!).

My cabinets have a new feature: removable backs. So depending on venue acoustics, I can have the speaker tone any way I like.

What was amazing, though, is that with the removable backs feature, it's super easy to switch wires and put one speaker out of phase, just the way Jay Dee does always with his setup. The difference? The sound seemed to come from EVERYWHERE, it wasn't directional. I do like speakers in phase, big punchy sound, but this out of phase thing makes the sound hugely 3-dimensional.

I want to publicly thank Gerry for rising to the occasion and my many requests for custom features, all accomplished with ease and aplomb. My new system is unbelievably gorgeous in tone.
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2012 7:24 am    

You guys (and gals) on the Left Coast have all the fun! Mad
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2012 5:16 pm    

Quite obviously John's post about the Stereo Steel deserved it's own topic however reversing the phase on a speaker in a 2 speaker system is more easily accomplished with a phase switch recessed on the front (or elsewhere) so the user does not have to rewire anything.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2012 5:41 pm    

With the out-of-phase thing you guys are talking about here...
Are you running the left/right volume controls specifically at the exact point of phase-cancellation (where the Bass fequencies drop out)?...
Or,
Anywhere but the exact point of phase-cancellation?
Thx,
Pete B.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2012 7:19 pm    

Jim, Gerry mentioned that you have a little switch for phase reversal on one of your speakers, and said he'll add a similar switch to one of my speakers down the road.

The speakers I got, btw, are new Weber 15-inch 4 ohm neos, with voice coils bumped up to 150 watts, vs standard 75. Each speaker weighs 8 lbs less than a comparable JBL, and the sound is virtually identical. The cabinets feel like toys, they're so light.

Pete, the speaker wires just go into clippy red and black connections, like on the back of many home stereos. Gerry just turned the wires around on one speaker and, viola, magic sound, super easy.

Frank, I think folks in Nashville get their share of fun, especially with the Time Jumpers playing every Monday night, now THAT'S fun!