| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Long Legs and Big Feet
Butch Gardner

Three Way, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2012 1:56 pm    

I am shopping for my first guitar and have realized that at 6'3" and size 13 EE Wide Feet, that I may need some advice from some of you in my size and weight class. Here's what I found... Leg extensions will be a must. But also for my feet to be in position to operate the pedals, my knees were over bent. Almost taking my hells off the ground and placing the weight of my legs on the balls of my feet. If I moved the guitar away far enought for my feet and legs to feel comfortable and to where I could easily move from pedal to pedal, the guitar was not over my knees. (long feet). Then there is the wide foot concern where I can cover three pedals at once.

Suggestions, or recommendations?

Butch
Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 6:06 pm     Long Legs and big feet

Hi Butch,
I've had big wide size 14 feet problems most of my life - but said what the heck, If I can't live with them, then alter what I'm having problems with. Wink
I have two Z.B.'s - just two great guitars, but I've had to alter (not spoil) the original front legs by placing an aluminum tube/ring around the bottom part of the legs to raise the height between the threaded piece that tightens each leg, I guess it's the threaded caps/collars, they come up flat against and the pedal bar.
This little mod' allows the same height to be kept at all times rather than just relying on the threaded caps/collars to keep the settings from altering.
I hope this makes sense for you.

All Z.B.est.

Bob Mainwaring
Vancouver Island
Butch Gardner

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 6:16 pm    

Thanks Bob, There will definitely be some adjustments to height. I've had a similar problem when trying to drive a compact car. My right foot hits the brake and accelerator at the same time.....
Butch
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 5:02 pm     Big Feet!

Butch, Before you buy a Guitar I Would Try a Emmons Push Pull With The Big Pedals and Wide Spacing,Or You may have a huge Problem With The Small Pedals. Randy G. Very Happy
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 5:25 pm    

Totally off topic.... but sounds like a great name for a country song.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 6:18 pm     taller

I just sold a seat to a guy that had bought a 2" taller guitar and a 2". That is a fairly consistent height for 6' 3" or 4"

Just is just what I have seen and heard from the seat business.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Butch Gardner

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 7:50 pm    

Thanks Joe, That is what I am gathering from a good bit of feed back. I go from the perspective that too much is better than not enough. I see many shorter players with a great deal of space between the knees and cabinet. Do you think 3" would be too much. That can almost be a pair of heavy soled shoes. Maybe I place my feet in the perfect position on the floor and measure to the highest point of my knees.

Hey Mike, you're right, it does sound like a song. I do a little writing, maybe I give it a go.

Butch
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 8:17 pm    

I'm 6'3' with size 14's. My Zum is just right with a 1" lift kit, my Mullen with 2". I doubt you need 3" unless you have an NBA contract!

Too much matters. It's hard to manage a vertical knee lever if you have to jump your leg to get at it.

KP
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 8:24 pm     what I have found

2" work but measuring is always a great idea.

Your leg from the hip to the knee should go down - down to the knee slightly

I know of a couple that set the height of the steel from the additional height of the seat. (but some do not want to admit that) Very Happy

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Butch Gardner

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 8:40 pm    

No Ken, I'd have to run as a short guard in todays NBA, besides I am a wide body and can't jump. Just been lookin at videos of several good players. They seem to have ample room above their knee. As you say, I do need to easily reach the horizontal lever.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 9:49 pm    

On steel height, it matters how your legs are proportioned relative to the rest of your body. The guitar height and depth are also important. I'm 6'4", and some guitars need just 2" of height adjustment, and others require 3-4" (e.g., my early Franklin is an inch shorter than normal and I always need extra height on a single-body width guitar). Take some time and get it just right - too tall is not good, but neither is too short.

My feet are fairly big (12) and wide (E), but not extremely so. But real narrow pedal spacing is annoying even to me. With anything greater than E width, I'd be real careful about pedal spacing - I think Randy's right, an Emmons push-pull with the big pedals and wide spacing might be the ticket. Plus, the tone ain't too shabby either. Wink
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 2:44 am    

My friend Pat Heller is an example of tall,don't know about the feet but that boy is tall & plays that Zum as it was made just for him.Which it prolly was.
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 5:42 am    

mike nolan wrote:
Totally off topic.... but sounds like a great name for a country song.

Long Legs, Big Feet, and a pink carnation... Smile

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 6:20 am    

Yes Dave,that was the other thing I noticed. Because of a long shoe size, your knees are not fully under the cabinet and toes still bumping the pull rods. BG
Ronnie Green

Des Moines, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 4:43 pm    

I am 6'4" with long legs. I had my seat custom made by Walker Seats. Mr. Walker knows the problem we have and went to extremes to build me the right height and very well built seat. Thank You Mr. Walker!