| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Performance question
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 11:30 am    

I've had my Fender D8 with legs for about a year now, and I really enjoy playing standing up. The one thing I'm having trouble with is, after years of playing guitar and mandolin, where you can strum along when not playing a solo or part, it's hard to not play, and I don't know what to do with my hands.
So, my question is: What do folks do when not playing? Just stand there? Snap your fingers and try to look cool? Play along with the volume pedal backed off?

Indianapolis
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 12:36 pm    

Sometimes I do the volume pedal thing at the end of your post. Sometimes I move around and try to look cool. Sometimes I sing back up. Might be cool to have some sort of percussion instrument to smack on during those times too.

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 12:42 pm     Yeah

Ya mean like a Green Tambourine?
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 12:48 pm    

John, that's why they invented strippers.
Don't you look cool already?
Play sitting down, and relax.
Or be the boss, as steel should be, and there will be no down time.
Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 7:08 pm    

I am running into a similar thing myself. Although I sit down so it's a bit easier. At first I was over playing just to give myself something to do. Right now I am working on just trying to relax and enjoy the music.

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 9:01 pm    

Ron Whitfield wrote:

Hmm. I haven't figured out how to work these into my stage routine.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 9:26 pm    

John Bushouse wrote:
Ron Whitfield wrote:

Hmm. I haven't figured out how to work these into my stage routine.

They do seem to be a little sharp-edged to use for a slide.

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 9:29 pm    

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
I'm much more comfortable playing standing up. I tend to hunch over the guitar when sitting, and it kills my back. I guess that I'll work on the "looking cool" angle...

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 9:31 pm    

But in using those strippers you could be on the cutting edge, and look cool at the same time!

Per your back pain, a friend found that using a stand lowered for sitting forced him to straighten his back and relieved the pain, versus playing it on his lap.
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 9:52 pm    

What kind of a band are you playing with?
When I used to play with a rock group, I used my leslie and played "organ" parts on the songs where steel wasn't needed.

On some songs I turned the reverb way up almost to the saturation point (regeneration/feedback) and then just wiggled the bar on the chord being played. This creates a very nice pad that sounds almost like an orchestra string section. You can intensify the "bloom" effect by pushing harder on the strings with the bar and raising the volume with your pedal.

If you are playing with a country band, I can't see any reason not to play all the time, and just play softly when backing up other solos and vocals.
Dom

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 6:14 am    

Dom- I play in a western swing/old country band, and there are two other instrumentalists, so playing all the time isn't really an option. The fiddle player hates it when I play behind her, so when I don't feel like annoying her, I have to stop playing. Also, during vocal harmonies, I usually lay out.
I am going to try the reverb/wiggle thing out. Thanks!

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 6:52 am    

Get a stool and put it off to the side of the stage. Sit there while you're laying out and listen to the band and think about what cool thing you're gonna play when you start up again. Smile while you're sitting there and look at the pretty girls dancing.
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 9:06 am    

Hey Orville! I am usually so far stage left that I have to watch out that I don't fall off, so there's no room for a stool.
I learned long ago, from watching Jethro Burns, that it's important to look at the audience and smile-especially the pretty girls!

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 9:52 am    

I've been kicking around the idea of wearing a mandolin while I play steel. Then when I'm not playing steel I can strum chords.
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 10:37 am    

John,

I wouldn't sweat it at all. You are playing steel guitar for God's sake so you already look cool. I often play chords very softly in the background, mimic horn parts on the swing tunes, or just be still and listen. I think if you remain involved in the music whether playing or not you won't feel conspicuous and you will be ready to melt some faces when your solo comes around.

Gary
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 11:33 am    

Gary Meixner wrote:
you will be ready to melt some faces when your solo comes around.
Gary

Gary- You obviously haven't heard me play.

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 12:33 pm    

you could do vamps along with percussion, just quick staccato chord hits in beat with the rythem,like buddy here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oItMfsNNpYw

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 2:16 pm    

Play substaining soft chords along with the Band. Use your foot volume control to feel how loud or soft to play the basic chords. TThis can contribute to the fullness of the Band when done correctly.

Last edited by Billy Tonnesen on 20 Mar 2012 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 3:41 pm    

I agree with most of the posts here suggesting that you fill out the sound of the band in subtle or tasty ways (leaving the details up to the individual.) I think that a volume pedal can be very useful in situations like that even though you might not use one the rest of the time.

Steve Ahola

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 3:55 pm    

Quote:
Dom- I play in a western swing/old country band, and there are two other instrumentalists, so playing all the time isn't really an option. The fiddle player hates it when I play behind her, so when I don't feel like annoying her, I have to stop playing. Also, during vocal harmonies, I usually lay out.

I don't want to sound harsh, but that lady fiddle player is the problem! And unless she's married to the leader of the band, I'd play backup during her solos (softly and tastefully)

In the 1970's I played pedal steel backing up Billy Armstrong. "The World's Greatest Fiddle player"
http://www.allmusic.com/album/worlds-greatest-fiddle-player-r1942461

And he loved to play with steel! It's fun to harmonize and play complimentary licks.

As far as playing behind vocals, volume is the key.

It sounds like you may be playing with kids that have never listened to classic country music, and don't appreciate the important part that steel guitar plays!

Dom Confused

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 5:17 pm    

John Rosett wrote:
I am going to try the reverb/wiggle thing out. Thanks!

Is the fiddle player the lead singer, by any chance?
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 8:23 pm    

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions, but don't assume too much about the band. I've been playing with the lead singer and the fiddle player (not the same person) for almost 14 years. The others players, about 3 years. We have a blast playing together, and probably enjoy practice even more than gigs.
We all strive for a pretty clean sound, and the 3 instrumentalists take turns playing behind the vocals. In a six-piece band, you have to be careful not to overdo it; You can't have everybody playing all at once. I play steel about half the time, and standard guitar the other half. There are times in most songs where I need to lay out a little bit to make the song sound better.

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 8:49 pm    

Yes, There are times to lay out, and to lay low and times to LAY IT ON THICK!
This should all get worked out at rehearsal, where the arrangment and dynamics of the song are decided.

I am sorry for ASSuming anything about the fiddle player. I was just going off of the word "HATES" it when...

I sure hope that there are times when you ALL play together. That is the biggest attraction of a western swing number, (When the Fiddles and steel are playing in three part harmony, and the band is grooving)6 peices is not too big of a sound.
Sure then it's time to come down for a nice vocal verse and solos etc.
But In my oppinion, Playing the HEAD (Intro) and the Ending as an ensemble is very important.
Dom Wink

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 9:05 pm    

I agree 100% about instrumental harmony lines and intros, endings, etc. It's really fun to work up that stuff and play it, and I find it quite challenging sometimes.
Here's a link to a recording of a band I was in 1985-91. Check out "Hear Me Now" and "Mad With You". I played electric 5-string mandolin, not the steel:
http://www.archive.org/details/TheSwinginSwamis

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 10:21 pm    

Quote:
What do folks do when not playing?

You shouldn't stop playing completely. As others have said, Pad with chords... at a Low Volume. Your volume level should not interfere with the other musicians who may be playing "fills" behind the vocalist. You can play a support role with your chording.

Another aspect of playing backup is "trading fills". Good players do this naturally and never even have to discuss it with the other band members. When it's your turn to Fill behind the vocalist... in a verse or a chorus, come Up in volume, play your fills, and then Back Off at the end of that section and let another player play the fills in the next section. Backing off does not mean shutting down completely and it does not mean stopping to play. You can contribute to the sound by padding, usually with 1st position chords (on the lower frets). Just keep it low and in the background.