| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A few questions on my Guyatone D-8 and another D-6
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 5:03 pm    

On my Guyatone D-8 I have one neck tuned to E6 and the other tuned to an open G.

The G tuning high to low is D B G D B G D B

The last string is a .070 and I have tried a .068. The last string sounds "DULL" and boomy. Any suggestions to tune this last string differently?

Also, anyone ever heard of a 6 string D-6 Oahu Tolana Doubleneck Steel Guitar with a working Stringtone lever on both necks? I may have the oportunity to check one out.

Any info is appreciated...

Lenny
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 7:04 pm    

Len, I don't have any suggestions for your tuning, but the steel guitar you are asking about is an Oahu Iolana. Iolana is Hawaiian for "to soar like the hawk". The two headstocks on that D-6 spread out like a bird in flight, hence the name. It has a stunning look. It was built by Valco Co. in Chicago, 1950s. Valco built mostly student grade and intermediate grade guitars and amps, and they would brand them for any company that placed a substantial order... Silvertone, Oahu, Airline, National, etc. The Iolana was Oahu's top of the line in the '50s. I had one about 10 years ago, and it was a nice looking instrument, but lightweight and not made of quality materials IMO. Standing behind that console was nothing like standing behind a Fender, Gibson, or Rickenbacher. I played it on a couple of gigs and I wasn't very happy with it. If you're considering buying one, be sure to check out the electronics... make sure the pickups are strong, the controls and switches work okay, and the tuners work okay.

The Stringtone Changer mechanisms were offered as an option. They were made by Rowe Industries in the 1950s. There were three different models of the Stringtone made. They have become somewhat collectable and very pricey in recent years.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 7:25 pm    

Wow Doug:

You are the man regarding the details on this Oahu D-6.

I may remove the low B dtring on the Guyatone and use it as a 7 string G tuning. I changed that last string to different notes and guage strings and nothing seems to resonate.

I have to admit that I still love the pedal steel but find myself playing more non pedal and lap and moving the bar with better tone and accuracy.

I am anti "old dog & new trick"

Regards,

Lenny
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 9:06 pm    

Len, I have a Guyatone D-8... I think it's a few years earlier than yours, and I've never noticed any problem with wound strings, not resonating, etc. My thickest string is .042 though. I'm not sure how a .068 would work. Are you sure the string is seated properly in the slot on the nut? Keep in mind that it probably won't sustain the same as your pedal steel guitar.

I know what you mean about the lure of the non-pedal steel guitar... Like you, I played PSG for 20 years and then started playing non-pedal at home as a hobby. That was about 1990. Nowadays I split my practice time between the two instruments, although I play mostly pedal steel in bands.