| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 Instruction Material
Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 7:45 am    

I've only been playing E9 a few years now, but would love to move to that other neck. I hear these sweet sounding chords and really know nothing but basic chords. The jazz stuff really would be a great direction (which I just read a great post about). I've checked the forum and most of the C6 results are all non-pedal.

My question is what is a good book to start with?
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 8:13 am    

Chris
Please excuse the blatant self-promotion, but I have 4 courses for C6 pedal steel available, the descriptions of which are on my website linked below.

Two courses are based on the solos from my two most recent albums (though not all THAT recent Laughing) and include the original album tracks to play with, and two are on the experienced beginner/intermediate level, C6 Texas Style Vol. 1 and C6 Texas Style Vol. 2, which are solos recorded to BIAB tracks.

I've had good reviews for both of those, so they might be appropriate for you. There are, of course, other excellent teachers here who have their own material available for you.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 9:27 am    

Shameless self promotion aside, I have to agree that Herb Steiner's stuff is first rate. You probably also need something a little more "basic" to start with. The Jeff Newman C6 stuff is pretty quick and painless. Herby Wallace has an introductory course that's pretty good, but be aware he has a G on the first string while most other material uses a D.

One of my favorites is the Buddy Emmons "Basic C6" course. I think it's out of print, but it would be worth seeing if Jim Palenscar has some in stock.

Hope that helps.

KP
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 9:38 am    

Anything Herb has is first rate.

My introduction to C6th was the old Jeff Newman "Music to get C6th by".

I'm from the "old school" and still use the high G on my C6th. I've tried the D but keep going back to the G.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 10:09 am    

I started out with Herby Wallace's excellent C6 intro course and a lot of help from Doug Seymour. Doug taught me this tune below which uses the most common C6 grips and chords in the context of a real tune. It was an eye opener for me and as a bonus you get to learn a nice Buddy Emmons riff! See "C6th - No One Will Ever Know " on the page below:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Tab3.html

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 11:17 am    

Herb Steiner, Jim Loessberg, Herby Wallace do have excellent C6 courses & tabs
last but not least the big E too
his "Basic C6" is quite good fer starters
Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 11:45 am    

Thanks everyone!
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 1:49 pm     C6th Courses

I have been doing steel guitar courses since 1969 and I have done around 35 over the years. My most popular and best C6th course to start with is the HWP-200 which is a book and CD. This course contains: chords, scales, chord progressions, intros, 5 songs, technique and more. The G on top is no big deal as it is not used that much in the course anyway. My next course HWP-201 is a little more advanced. Many of my customers go from the 200 right into the 201. For more info, please contact me at: HWallac480@aol.com

Thanks,

Herby Wallace
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 8:41 pm    

I trued Emmons, Jernigan, a bit of Joe Wright... and the Herby Wallace HWP200 and HWP201 had the most logical bang-for-the=buck than the others.
Curtis Clogston

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2015 1:47 pm    

Does anybody know where I can get a copy of HWP200 and 201? Even just PDF format? I've heard nothing but good reviews of these courses and at least as of now I'm using the high G tuning.
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2015 1:56 pm    

I'm not sure what the situation is with Scotty's Music these days since his unfortunate passing recently but it might be worth an email. Herby's courses are still listed on Scotty's website. http://www.scottysmusic.com/instrcto4.htm
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2015 4:50 pm     Herby Wallace website

Curtis, have you tried Herby Wallace's site? His wife may be selling those C6 HWP 200 & HWP 201 courses as well as others. Those two courses are fantastic.

Here is the link and it shows an email address. Worth a try:

http://www.herbywallace.com

The Emmons Basic C6 course is also outstanding as well but I don't know who carries that.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2015 6:01 pm    

Palenscar has that course and a bunch of other Emmons stuff. See the links for Steel Guitar of North County.
Curtis Clogston

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 1:03 am    

Thanks for the tips! I sent out some emails to the people suggested. I had already tried Herby's site to see if anyone still answered the mail with no luck.
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 3:01 pm    

I just got a new c6 course from frenchys music and its loaded with info on the c6 pedal steel .