| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NewB Start-up Questions
Ronald Sieber

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 12:46 pm    

Nice forum, and lots of solid content! At this point it's way over my head, so I'm looking for a few pointers to get started.

I bought a Teisco Model R in good shape except it needs some switch work to eliminate some hum, etc. Is there a source for these parts in case I need to replace a pot or two?

Also, I have seen several sets of strings in the Forum tore. Any particular one to rec for a NewB? Would probably go for an open "D" tuning at this point.

Thanks in advance!
=rdsieber
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 12:51 pm    

Invest in Jerry Byrd's full course w/video and hold on tight!
http://scottysmusic.com/byrd.htm
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 2:18 pm    

Welcome, Ronald. Without knowing specifically which parts you need, I'd recommend checking with http://tubesandmore.com or http://www.stewmac.com to see if they carry the items you require.
For open D tuning, I usually recommend a set of standard regular gauge electric guitar strings (.013 to .056), although some would recommend heavier.
Ronald Sieber

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 11:48 am    

Thanks, Brad, for your reply.

I'll look into what you recommend and hope to have that thing humming soon.

=rds
Ronald Sieber

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 12:25 pm    

Ron:

I looked at the Jerry Byrd course and have been checking out YouTube postings. Thanks for the tips on where to start!
G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 12:25 pm    

Welcome Ronald. I would recommend starting out on C6 as there is much more instructional material available for you to work with than some of the other tunings. B0B has lots of instructional material in the forum store. And, Doug Beaumier, Terry Wood and Mike Neer have some excellent instructional material available here on the forum. Greg Cutshaw has several pages of tab available free on his website. Welcome and have fun!
gary
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 4:02 pm     Re: NewB Start-up Questions

Ronald Sieber wrote:
I bought a Teisco Model R in good shape except it needs some switch work to eliminate some hum, etc. Is there a source for these parts in case I need to replace a pot or two?

I am not familiar with that model but if it uses a single coil pickup it will pick up noise in some environments. The pots and jacks are usually the same ones that you would find in a guitar. StewMac, Antique Electronics Supply, and Mouser are names that come to mind. Mouser is usually the most economical but they have such a wide selection that you do need to know what you are ordering.

If you already play regular guitar it might be easiest to start off with open E or open D to start developing your left and right hand techniques but you will probably want to transition to C6 after awhile as it is the "mother" of almost all lap steel tunings.

If you have no experience playing regular guitar then you might want to start off with C6. However if you intend to play mostly blues and blues-based rock open E might be best for you. I guess a good question would be who is your favorite lap steel player and take it from there.

Good luck!

Steve Ahola

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 4:41 pm    

IMO, the key to learning any instrument is to learn from somebody else minus their embellishments.

I would order something from Roy Thompson, who posts here. Why? His material is learning friendly. By that I mean, it is playable by somebody just starting. The accompanying recordings are exactly what is written in tab. I bought his Hank Williams collection a few years back and it was well worth it.

Learn a few simple songs and the hard ones will come along a lot easier.
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 10:18 am     Re: NewB Start-up Questions

Ronald Sieber wrote:
Also, I have seen several sets of strings in the Forum tore. Any particular one to rec for a NewB? Would probably go for an open "D" tuning at this point.

The style you want to play makes a big, big difference in what tuning you should go with. With that information, you'll get much better advice.