| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp Stand
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 8:54 am    

I bought this yesterday.

http://www.music123.com/Accessories/Stands-Racks/Amplifier-Stands/PL-AS-Adjustable-Amp-Stand-Black.site7sku581185000001000.sku

Think it'll be big enough to support my Nashville 1000?

Music123 will try to beat any price so if you find a good price on the web, send it to Music123 and they'll email you a special link to get it cheaper.

I also got Superior Drummer 2 Crossgrade from EZDrummer for $75 yesterday. It's a $300 program.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 9:58 am    

I don't know how much a NV 1000 weighs, but I have been using one of those for years for my NV400, and it supports it fine. In fact, i used to use this when I played keyboards and I put a Roland KC550 on there, which I believe is heavier than either of these Peavey's, and it had no problem. That's a pretty rock solid stand. My only complaint is that the angle is not adjustable.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 10:01 am    

I think they're rated to 500lbs.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 10:04 am    

Actually, they are rated at 150 pounds.

Quote:
Locking leg braces and safety pins for the upper supports give this amplifier stand the strength to safely hold up to 150lb. Finally, the upper amp supports have rubber pads to protect your amplifier's covering and to minimize vibrations.

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 10:10 am    

I have one of these and it supports any amp I've used - MusicMan, Peaveys, Fender - with lots in reserve.

I love it as an amp-stand but hate having to store it - they won't fold down to a convenient size and are a real headache either in a closet or in a car!

Fine for an NV-1000, though.
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 10:16 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Actually, they are rated at 150 pounds.

Quote:
Locking leg braces and safety pins for the upper supports give this amplifier stand the strength to safely hold up to 150lb. Finally, the upper amp supports have rubber pads to protect your amplifier's covering and to minimize vibrations.

OK, but I seen one that was rated at that,or maybe I dreamed it(I used to drinks a bit ya know)
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 5:10 pm    

I use one for my Session 500 and there are few amps heavier than that.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 5:17 pm    

Bud: I'm trying to imagine you lifting that amp up on to the stand!!!

Whoa!
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 8:10 pm    

I agree with Roger's comment about them being a great stand but they can be a little troubling when trying to store, carry in car etc.
Other than that, very sturdy stands - used them on NVille 400's for years
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 8:55 pm    

The $19.99 one from Musicians Friend looks about the same and works just as well.
I wouldn't put a tall top heavy tube amp on any kind of amp stand.
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 2:26 am    

I have an "X" frame stand,a friend gave it to me but it leaned back too far so I took it to a welding shop & had a couple of 3' extensions welded to the back legs(not Bo's leggs),wurks purfictly now.(like my spilin)
Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 6:21 am     Pro-Line stands ...

I just got three of these as well. The musicians friend stands may be a bit bigger diameter tubing (I have only read) but the degree angle of tiltback was to much for me (at least they appeared to be in the pictures). Like Bo, I too would be very hesitant to put any heavy amps on one of these stands, regardless of make. The Pro-line has the least angle of tilt back of all I looked at, so I got those for two speaker cabinets and one for my rack case, nothing super heavy. On the negative side, the first couple I got, the tightening knob nuts were welded on crooked and would not tighten straight so I returned them. I received replacements, and so far, these are working perfectly for my purposes ... but should one collapse during a show, I may very well be singing a different story - time will tell ! Good Luck.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 7:13 am    

I use the amp stands for heavy amps if I just have to, but I turn them upside down so the heavy part is on the bottom.
Seems pretty stable though at times in a dark club the knobs get confusing.
Of course you could stand on your head and use a flash light and tell everyone it's part of the show Laughing
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 7:27 am    

You better watch turning your amps upside-down. The oil might run out of the filler caps of the Capacitors.
I'm just saying!
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 8:49 am    

Yeah then they'll pop like a pimple & you'll have to take it in for an oil change & filter & rotate the tubes!!!!
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 10:56 am    

The amp stand in the picture is very sturdy and doesn't allow the amp to tip forward or backward. I often lean against mine when talking to someone and it shows no signs of wanting to tip over.

In the following pic, I actually have the Onstage Stands RS7000. I used to use the Onstage Stands Pro Tiltback (that does have adjustable angle). I wouldn't recommend this stand. The tilt adjuster has small teeth like a gear that mates with another piece just like it and they are real small. On one stand I had, the weld that holds this part to the frame cracked. Good thing I noticed it before my amp took a fall. It also is VERY susceptible to tipping over.

CLICK HERE TO SEE STANDS
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 6:38 am    

I use the On-Stage Stands Pro Tiltback Amp Stand shown in Rich Sinkler's link. I like it a lot. Very strong, and the rear vertical uprights that the amp leans back on fold down; it's still a little gangly and not super compact. I don't think those supports fold down on the model you picked up, Gary.

To Rich's point about the little teeth: I don't lean the amp back very far, just a few degrees, but the stand gets it to a good height, right at my ears. The teeth are plenty strong, have never had slippage or any problem at all.

I also have the Quik-Lok Double-Brace Low-Profile Amp Stand lower on that stands page. It's very strong. I mostly use it with an older Yamaha PA powered mixer I use when teaching seminars, keeps it low but within easy reach.

But in a nightclub it's handy when you get complaints about your steel volume, this puts your amp very low, point it UP at you, so sound isn't blasting across the dance floor and club.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 10:25 am    

Howdy John... The problems I had were the welds that hold the "sprocket" on one (I used 2 of them) cracked and the other stand, from taking it down every night, the teeth would wear down at the points and start to slip. And if I didn't tilt it back far enough to center the weight more toward the back leg, the amp would try to tip forward if it was bumped. It was real iffy when using my Roland KC550c keyboard amp as it is much deeper than my NV400 and the stand would definitely try to tip forward.