| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra Lap Steel
John Howard

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 8:17 pm    

I'm looking for some feedback on the Sierra lap steel. I recently acquired a 1950 Fender Dual 8( from the forum, perfect transaction), which is a pure joy to play. I am a mediocre player, but play about 30-40 gigs/year, and would like a lap guitar to throw in for ease of transport etc. I've heard a few reviews on the Sierra, but not a lot. I love the old Ricky nasal sound, but am awfully happy with the Fender. The reviews on the Sierra I've read say that it is more of a pedal steel sound, which I can get from . . .my pedal steel. So, what is you all's experience with this guitar, beyond Ricky on steroids. If you own one, do play it a lot and what sort of music? Thanks all.
Thomas Temple

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2012 10:04 am     Sierra

John,
If you haven't seen this it should answer at least some of your questions concerning the Sierra Lap Steel. Of course Dough could take a rubber band strung between two nails and make it sound fantastic. Anyway check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ8j6E3Ul5s
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2012 10:22 am    

Thanks Thomas, here are a couple more of my videos featuring the Sierra 8-string:

-----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY7UehpsaFQ

-----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtY5b6l7uNE

It's a very well made instrument, heavy, solid, lots of mid range and lows... a modern PSG-like tone IMO. That's probably due to the construction, the metal plate that runs through the body, the PSG humbucking pickup, etc.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2012 12:11 pm    

After seeing Rick Aiello's video using his Sierra equipped with an AlumiTone PU, which is famous for not coloring the sound but excentuating any steel's inherant qualities (or negatives), I was impressed with the non-pedal ( Rolling Eyes ) sound it had, very 'old school' and muscular. I liked it. Made me curious how other PUs would fare in it.
Kekoa Blanchet

Kaua'i
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2012 12:49 pm    

Since you're looking for "ease of transport", don't forget that these are heavy guitars. I don't have a scale nearby, but as I recall mine is more than 20 pounds in the case. It's a 6-string model, and I don't know if they use the same body for the 8-string guitars, but it's possible that those would be heavier. And it'll be even more if your Sierra has legs (mine doesn't).

It's a beautiful, well made instrument, though. I love the sound, but mine has a DiMarzio pickup in it rather than the George L that's in the current production, so can't comment on your tone question.
James Williamson

California & Hawaii
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2012 2:06 pm     Lap steel

If you're looking for ease of transport with great tone, I'd suggest checking out Todd Clinesmiths single necks. Mike Ne'er has loads of videos on here so you can get a good idea of the sound

James
Dennis Burling

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 6:33 pm    

I bought an eight string Sierra with legs and hard case for my son. It came with a Rick Aiello pickup that was replaced with the original George L. In my opinion the Sierra sounds wonderful. It does have a modern pedal steel sound. The guitar is heavy. I wouldn't want to play it on my lap, but with the three legs it's very stable. If I were to buy a lap steel for myself the Sierra would be right at the top along with a Clinesmith and a Pettingill.
John Howard

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 8:23 pm     Sierra Lap Steel

Well, I realize that I am trying to ask something to be what it's not. So I bought Rickenbacher. Thanks all for your input.