| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dawn Sears CD Credits
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2012 7:44 pm    

Who plays steel on Dawn Sears CD's?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2012 9:36 pm     Now, that's a very good question.

What tunes are you referring to, specifically; or, what CD?

How 'bout posting an MP-3 about which you're inquiring? That would help.
Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2012 12:01 am    

Dennis,

Dawn has several solo CDs out.

Her most recent CD (2007), entitled "Dawn Sears" with songs such as "A-11" and "My Ears Should Burn", has John Hughey playing on it, according to the listing on Amazon.com.

Mr. Hughey also played on the Time Jumpers CD that Dawn sang on.

- Dave
Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2012 3:59 am    

LOVE that Time Jumpers CD...The BEST lady vocalist in music, period!! IMHO!! Whoa!
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 11:10 pm    

Dawn also did a CD in 02 or 03 using all of the Time Jumpers with the exception of myself and Rick Vanough, the drummer. Can't tell the name of it. Mr. Hughey played on that one as well though he was not yet a Time Jumper. And Connie Smith is still the greatest female country singer of all time. IMHO.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 6:47 am    

Johnny,

I thought so too, until I heard Amber Digby sing the song that Connie recorded years ago called "Heart I'm Ashamed Of You". Amber's song entitled "Lie To Him" is the best I've heard from all sources; bar none.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 14 Mar 2012 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 7:43 am    

I love Dawn's singing, too!

Lee Ann Womack has amazing vocal skills. IMHO
Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 8:04 am     Dawns siinging

yes I agree Dawn is awesome
so is Connie which is awesome twice over
Alot of singers today are great if
once in a while they would sing country songs
like the 2 ladys above
Mike Very Happy
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 9:19 am    

"Who's Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" is an entertaining video by Shania Twain. It's really difficult to decide who's who when you break it down by including all of the achievements of each lady in the business of singing country music. It becomes a matter of personal preferences and sentimentalities.
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 10:03 am    

Johnny Cox wrote:
Dawn also did a CD in 02 or 03 using all of the Time Jumpers with the exception of myself and Rick Vanough, the drummer. Can't tell the name of it. Mr. Hughey played on that one as well though he was not yet a Time Jumper. And Connie Smith is still the greatest female country singer of all time. IMHO.

Johnny, We will get some heat from our post. LOL I like Dawn and Connie but will say Tammy was the best of all. Embarassed

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 10:36 am    

Sarah Jory's recording of "Heartaches By The Number" is right up there with the best of female vocalists.
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 12:38 pm    

They all good ,'n' pretty too but I must say between Connie Smith & Amber Digby I wouldn't even say because they are equally super as are all the rest.I think it's the difference in the vocals,phrasing & all the other things that make a great singer that sets each one apart.When I met Johnny Bush he could hardly talk let alone sing but since he underwent the medical procedures he's as great as he ever was ,maybe better.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 12:47 pm    

Yep, subjective!
Good to know who did the steel work on those CD's! Smile
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 12:51 pm    

Theresa Galbraith wrote:
Yep, subjective!
Good to know who did the steel work on those CD's! Smile

I'm hopin' Mr Franklin on some of em',do you know him?
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 1:02 pm    

Ransom said:
Quote:

I keep hearing about this Franklin fellow. Is he any good? Laughing Laughing

But seriously, I like all the ladies listed above (yes, even Shania at times) and so many more. I realize that it is impossible for me to say who my favorite is. I may go on a Tammy binge and then she is my fave. Then Amber and she is my fave. Same for male country singers. But I really know for sure the one's I don't like.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 1:32 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Ransom said:
Quote:

I keep hearing about this Franklin fellow. Is he any good? Laughing Laughing

But seriously, I like all the ladies listed above (yes, even Shania at times) and so many more. I realize that it is impossible for me to say who my favorite is. I may go on a Tammy binge and then she is my fave. Then Amber and she is my fave. Same for male country singers. But I really know for sure the one's I don't like.

Billy Ray?
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 1:55 pm    

Paul Franklin plays the great ride in Dawn Sears' "If You're Gonna Do Me Wrong, Do It Right." It would be difficult to duplicate that steel break.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 14 Mar 2012 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 2:44 pm    

Ransom, actually there is one Billy Ray (I assume you mean Miley's dad Laughing ) song I really like called "Where Am I Gonna Live (When I Get Home) that my geetar player sings. Of course, the song would have been good no matter who did it (almost - I would have loved to hear Justin Bieber do it - NOT!!! Muttering ).

Bill... Paul really knocks it out of the park on that one. He makes my head spin every time I see him play.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 2:52 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Ransom, actually there is one Billy Ray (I assume you mean Miley's dad Laughing ) song I really like called "Where Am I Gonna Live (When I Get Home) that my geetar player sings. Of course, the song would have been good no matter who did it (almost - I would have loved to hear Justin Bieber do it - NOT!!! Muttering ).

Bill... Paul really knocks it out of the park on that one. He makes my head spin every time I see him play.

Who had that song out before Billy Ray?I remember hearing it ,maybe after he did it,I don't know,I'm old & alh......something is setting in.

Paul did a fine job on that version,loved it when Vern Gosdin did it too & I'd like to hear Amber do it with Paul on steel,wow now that would be something!!
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2012 3:06 am    

I would assume that a rumor is factual in regard to Amber. She is expecting, so I've heard in this month. If the hearsay is true, perhaps there will be the usual intervening or interruptive period, as one might expect. I hope she continues writing those country songs. Cool
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2012 4:48 am    

Give Justin T. some credit on some of those songs,he is a great writer & a pretty nice guy,I know, I picked with him back a few yrs. ago.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2012 7:19 am    

Justin Trevino and Dickey Overbey are featured songwriter and steel guitarist in concert with Amber at the recorded session in the old Swiss Alps Hall in Texas. It would be a tough order in trying to follow their band's performances.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2012 9:26 am    

Amber and Randy are indeed expecting a little one soon.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2012 9:32 am    

Ransom,

AllMusic.com lists Cyrus (2 of them) as the writers of That song. Who would have thunk it.

Quote:
4 Wher'm I Gonna Live? Cyrus, Cyrus

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2012 4:01 pm    

The three ladies mentioned Dawn Sears, Amber Digby, and Connie Smith are big favorites when I want to hear good country music. I was blown away when I heard Connie sing, "The Key's In The Mailbox" I've never heard anyone sing that song with such quality of voice. Amber's "Heart I'm ashamed Of You", kept me entertained for days. Dawn Sears' "Close Up The Honky-Tonks, for my listening pleasure, is the best I've ever heard that particular song recorded. She puts that special touch to the songs she sings.