| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aussie Steelers Get-Together #3, 11th March 2012.
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2012 6:12 pm    

Sydney steel-player Nick O'Neil organised yet another of his popular and well-attended get-togethers for steel-guitarists Down-Under which took place on Sunday 11th April 2012 in a suburb in the central west of the city. This one had a special quality - we were privileged to have the company of Noel and Shirley Anstead for the day. As all will know, Noel is the designer and (now-retired) builder of the famous Anapeg steel-guitars.

Noel brought his personal 11-string Anapeg with him, and Graham Griffith also bought his 12-string Anapeg. The other steels were a Mullen G2 S10 (Nick O'Neill), Emmons Lashley Le Grande II (Tomi Graso), Williams 700-series D10 (Ned McIntosh), Emmons cut-tail push-pull D10(set up by Mike Cass and played by Geoff Barnes) and a vintage Sho-Bud S10 (Mike Tyne). Gary Brown also came along with his magnificent Gilet resophonic and an 8-string Dobro formerly owned by Kenny Kitching.

Pictures are worth ten thousand words, so here they are!

Noel Anstead with his very own Anapeg.

At the rear of Noel's Anapeg is a very important label:-

The label says it all. Nice piece of wood, too!

Listening to Noel talking about building Tom's Anapeg we quickly realised just how close these two guys were and how much Tom Brumley is respected and missed.

Some more photos of Noel's Anapeg:-

The "playing-surface". Just look at the figure in that cabinet and neck!

The famous Anapeg changer, a unique design (although the string-attachment is not that dis-similar to the Williams 7000-series)

The keyless "peg-head" is especially neat.

and now, the all-important undercarriage...

Here's the beauty of machined aluminium, steel and brass with polished Australian hardwood underneath...

and a closer look at the changer-end.

Graham Griffith's blue 12-string Anapeg was a thing of beauty as well:-

Noel clearly remembers building Graham's blue 12-string steel, below is a photo of the topside,

OK, enough Anapegs! The remaining photos are of the various participants hard at work having fun (and having fun is deadly serious business!)

Here's Nick O'Neill with his Mullen G2,

Geoff Barnes not only bought his Emmons p/p D10 (with a Mike Cass setup) but also laid down a solid rhythm for us on the Gretsch White Falcon,

Gary Brown bought along two resophonics, (A Gilet and an 8-string Dobro) but he also bought the neatest pick and bar-holder I have ever seen. I honestly expected Gary to take out a tiny fiddle and play "Orange Blossom Special" until he opened it up! Here it is, complete with "Dobro In A Box"!

Here's a "larger" view!

Here's the whole group (minus Ned) at play:- Clockwise from left: Nick O'Neill, Graham Griffith, Kerry Donlan (Bass guitar) Mike Tyne, Noel Anstead, Tomi Graso, Shirley Anstead, Gary Brown (in the baseball-cap) and Geoff Barnes.

Nick O'Neill snapped this shot of Ned getting seriously absorbed with his Williams:-

and finally, Mike Tyne was using a very interesting setup on his Sho-Bud with two cascaded delay pedals..."delay the delay" sort of thing. Here's how it looked:-

We all had a great day of talking, wood-shedding, reminiscing and being "little boys with expensive toys"! Once again Nick's wife Anne supplied lunch which was delicious. I heard a comment that the reason it was so good was the love she put into preparing it, and I wholeheartedly second that. Anne, you are a champion!

Thanks again to Nick for organising it all, it's great to meet the fellow-Aussies who have succumbed to the addiction that is pedal steel-guitar.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Last edited by Ned McIntosh on 16 Mar 2012 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2012 6:57 pm    

Wish I could have been there...
Jerry Eilander

Hadspen, Tasmania, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2012 7:16 pm    

Me too

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2012 10:58 pm    

Well I missed it by a couple of days. We're playing the Hunter Valley CMC Rocks festival on the 17th. I have the 16th off in Sydney. That's a Friday night...any steel players playing on Friday night?
Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 12:00 am    

Tim,
I'm playing steel at CMC Rocks the Hunter on Friday night. We start at 11pm and play through until 2am.
What time are you on, it would be great to catch up.
Damien
Darrell Schmidt

Charles City, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 7:02 am    

Does a delay to a delay really make a difference?
Ned McIntosh

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 9:30 pm    

Darrell, I only heard Mike playing through his "double-delay" setup for a very brief period of time but it had a very "snappy" sort of sound to it. Very Bobbie Seymour-ish.

I think you'd need to set one up and experiment a bit. I didn't ask Mike how he used it and what sort of effects he could get because I began talking with Noel about the design features of the Anapeg, and we both got so absorbed the time simply flew by...before I knew it everyone was packing up and the day was coming to an end.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Tom T Taylor

Western Australia
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 11:00 pm    

If I could only get my 'Bud on as hand baggage...
Great photos of some beautiful pieces.You guys have it good!

TTT

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 6:32 pm    

Damien,
Our show is on Saturday the 17th and our hotel is in Sydney which from what I hear is a couple of hours away from Hunter Valley. Are you gonna be there on Saturday as well?
Nick ONeill

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2012 4:39 am    

Can I say a big thank you to Ned for posting the great photos so quickly. We did have a good time at our little meeting on Sunday. It was great to have so many of our "Steel Family" there.

Damien, Anne and I will see you at Travis' CMC Rocks gig on Friday night. We are camping out at the Hope Estate for the whole weekend.

Tim, we are looking forward to hearing you play on Saturday. We will say hi if we get the chance. My cell phone # is 0438 22 32 67. Ya'll Take care. Nick
Mullen SD10G2 4x5 (Black), Carter S-10 3x5, Peavey Session 400, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender MS80, Boss DD3, Goodrich and Telonics volume pedals, Alesis QuadraVerb, Fender Strats x2, Fender Nashville Power Tele, Takamine NP-15C, Boss TU-12, Peterson VS-11, Strobo-flip and strobo-clip tuners, D2Fcovers,seat,legs, amps,guitars.
Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2012 12:25 pm    

Hey guys,thanks for the invite (and the pics)I had a fantastic day, heard some amazing picking and it really is an honour that you've allowed a relative neophite like myself to be a part of your fun.
Good times!