Wilmer McCormick

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2012 9:55 am    

7 string steel for the tuning you want. Homemade out of ash wood. $400

Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2012 2:25 pm    

Hi Everybody,

I have one of Wilmer's custom made steels, a ten string non pedal and well I love it!

He plays steel and he builds a great sounding steel guitar. They are all done by him except for keys and the pickup on mine is George L but he winds the pickups on some steels too. He really knows what he is doing guys. I wouldn't sell mine for even $1500. It is that great of a sounding steel!

Next, I recorded a new Steel CD on my custom McCormick Steel and think it is one of the best non pedal steels going.

Wilmer is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet too.

Terry Wood
John Allison

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2012 3:51 pm    

I'm gonna hafta go ahead and call a BS on the fret spacing at the 24th. While I certainly appreciate the folk tradition whether it's applied to playing music or to making instruments to be played, there are some things that require a bit more care and consistency.

...just stickin' my nose in. Feel free to tell me to butt out and mind my own business. Smile
www.allisonguitars.com
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2012 4:22 pm    

John Allison wrote:
I'm gonna hafta go ahead and call a BS on the fret spacing at the 24th. While I certainly appreciate the folk tradition whether it's applied to playing music or to making instruments to be played, there are some things that require a bit more care and consistency.

...just stickin' my nose in. Feel free to tell me to butt out and mind my own business. Smile

Yeah, something is not right up there...

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2012 8:03 am    

Wilmer, please allow me to apologize for any unintended hard feelings.

Someone took it upon himself to reprimand me privately for my "criticism". I shouldn't trust cold text and the occasional emoticon to convey something subtle.

I intended to offer a constructive observation and shouldn't have done so in the scope of this public forum. I thought I'd do so in a jokey manner, but should just have stayed out of it. I've seen many discussions about your instruments here with some folks being openly derisive and downright mean and I didn't and don't intend to fall into that camp.

I don't believe that a misplaced fret line will keep anyone from buying this instrument and it shouldn't. You're obviously capable of turning out instruments that people truly enjoy and make great music with.

I was wrong to butt in and I apologize.
www.allisonguitars.com
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 8:08 am    

Quote:
I don't believe that a misplaced fret line will keep anyone from buying this instrument and it shouldn't. You're obviously capable of turning out instruments that people truly enjoy and make great music with.

I was wrong to butt in and I apologize.

What?
Whoa!

What have we become? No personal offence to Wilmer, but this steel is way off.

What if a student were to buy it and wonder why he never sounded in tune?

That student may give up learning the steel altogether.

It's good that Wilmer can "tune them in", but that does not make up for that fact the the steel is poorly constructed when measured against todays standards.

Just because Wilmer is a good person, does not make it justifiable to "overlook" the obvious flaws...........

Seriously............
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 9:11 am    

I'm not sure what the fret lines are made of here, but the fretboard of a steel guitar is the easiest part to change. Many people change it just for cosmetic reasons.

7 strings is a good idea for E major, C6/A7 or G6th tunings. The price is right for someone who wants to play with it.