| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two Telonics questions
Gerry Simon

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 7:32 pm    

1. Anyone try a Telonics preamp into a GK MBxxx...results??
2. I have the Telonics pedal (love it)...but when I use the straight 1/4 inch George L plugs and do a hard pedal off, I get a loud pop! I don't get this from 'L' shaped plugs or other companies' wired straight plugs. I thought my wireing might be bad but I get it from 3 different plugs. Any chance the plug diameter might be thinner?? Any others w/ this problem?...or perhaps it is my wireing? Thanks...
Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 9:02 pm     Two Telonics Answers

Hi Gerry, here is a bit of information.
Dave
1. Many bass players use the LeMay MK-I preamp with different types of Class D amplifiers including GK and David Eden. They consider this to be close to the ultimate for clarity, lack of attack distortion with slap bass dynamics at room blasting levels (which is very, very hard to do).
Many 6-stirng guitarists use the PRE1000 through various Class D amps, but mostly through the Telonics PA4100 (Mono) or PA4200 (Stereo) power amps. Some use the second channel of the PRE1000 because it is specifically voiced for Tele's. Other players run their larger, deeper guitars (jazz, Super 400's, etc., through channel one because of the extended EQ it provides. Most steel players I know use the Telonics preamps with the early PA200 or the newer pA4200 Telonics power amplifier. As long as the amplifier you choose is studio quality and has standard gain and input circuitry, it should work just fine with the Telonics preamps.
2. Yes, there are, indeed some problems with non-industry standard 1/4 inch TS and TRS plugs which result in various types of intermittant contact with the pro-quality Neutik and Amphenol jacks used on the Telonics equipment. More specifically, we have seen five (5) instances over the last 3 years which produced symptoms such as yours. Not only are some of the plugs you mention undersize, but some are not uniform along their entire barrel length. More specifically however, some plugs are not in parallel alignment. The most common such condition is that the small tip, or "ball" which forms the tip of the plug is canted or mis-aligned with the barrel of the plug. This forms a "crook" in the plug which "prys" the barrel out of alignment in the jack, and depending on it's roatation, it can make or break contact with the grounding springs in the mating female connector. If you look closely at such plugs, it looks as if the two parts of the connector (tip and sleeve) were allowed to move during manufacture - while the black insulating material between the tip and sleeve/barrel was not fully cooled/cured. It's easy to check for this condition; just connect the system and wiggle the plug while roating it a full 360 degrees while inserted in the female connector. A plug which exhibits this problem can and break ground when it is turned and/or wiggled. (you can also lay the sleeve and tip over the edge of a table and slowly roll it which watching for for it to rise and fall with rotation.
In every one of the five aforementioned known cases, the problem was immediately resolved when high quality cables with industry plugs (amphenor or Neutric) were used.
There are no unresolved cases of this type of noise to our knowledge.
Hope that helps.
Gerry Simon

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 9:25 pm    

Thanks Dave for the quick reply...due to the quality of construction of my pedal, I did not think that was the problem. I guess George L's have their place but one must be careful where that place is located! Smile
I will try my Telonics preamp with my GK Fusion and see if it is a good match...I had not read where others had combined the two as there is no preamp bypass, or direct amp in on the GK.
I would love to try a Telonics PU but my Kline has non standard string spacing and I don't think there is a fit for it...
Thanks again, Gerry
Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 7:45 am     non-standard string spacing

Hi Gerry,
Well, there is an answer, one of the new pickup designs doesn't care about string spacing. I'll be glad to send you one to try. We just need to know two things; whether you are playing a 10 or a 12 stirng, and, what type of mount to put on the pickup.
Does your current pickup mount with two screws on each side of it? Or does it mount with one or two screws at the top and bottom ends?
You can let me know at dave@telonics.com until Friday, we load out for the TSGA show in Dallas then and we'll be gone about 10 days. If you'll send me an email address, I will forward some information on the thirteen (13) types of pickups we have developed over the last three years.
All the best!
Dave
PS Any chance you will be at the TSGA show?