| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lots of fresh faces in the Steel Without Pedals section
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 5:13 pm    

And that's a good thing. It makes me happy, that's all. Smile Let the indoctrination begin.... Laughing

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 8:08 pm    

I started out on non-pedal steel guitar in 1950. I played a Fender T-8 Custom all through the 50s and when I came home from the Army in 1961 I traded the T-8 for a Fender 400 and started playing pedals. The last few years I have been playing my lap steels more and more and I'm really enjoying it. I've even played a few gigs with the 8 string lap steel. It's hard to explain the difference in the way I feel while playing non-pedal versus pedal steel. I seem to have more freedom to express myself through the music instead of worrying about the mechanics of the instrument. Does that make any sense?
John Wilson

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 8:18 pm     I might as well join in...........

I've been playing my Melobar (CC model) 8 string more lately, and my BMI S-10 PSG a lot less. It's funny, but the added hassle of packin' up the bigger steel just adds up after a while.

Mike, I've been checking out your instructional stuff and I like it a lot! I've even picked (and modified) an E13 tuning that you suggested a while back.
I'm using (low to high) E-B-E-F#-G#-B-C#-E. Mostly rock steel, but I drop the 6th (E) string to D sometimes.

Having a lot of fun and learning every day!

Regards,

John
Barry Beattie

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 9:00 pm    

the monthly steel guitar club I joined in my city is made up of a great bunch of people. No ego's, no BS, lots of senior talented players willing to help us noobs.

I've even convinced the lead guitarist from the band I often work with (as a sound engineer) to come along and bring his Fender Dual-6. All through word of mouth and a positive attitude.
Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 4:28 pm    

Yes it does Bob, make sence. I started on a Sears no name guitar in 1945. 1946 a New Yorker Electric Lap steel, 1953 D8 Fender, 1975 1st PSG, 2012 Back to a Melbert 8 Counsol, and happy as a Kid. You are right Bob, I can relax at the fret board of a Lap Steel and I can also carry it!

Melbert 8 Console
Peavey 110
Goodrich Pedal