| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Noted Nashville Picker Billy Johnson Passes..
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 11:12 am    

Just got off the phone with Smiley Roberts,He called me to let me know that Billy has left us..Billy was well known by all as one of Nashvilles finest..Billy played with many Artist and was a mainstay on the Opry with the late Billy Walker.I don't have all the details but I'm sure "Cookie" Jones or someone close to Billy will post them...Rest in peace old friend..
Mike Jones

Goodlettsville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 12:03 pm    

RIP Billy "White Shoes" Johnson. Billy passed last night ,Sunday in the hospital. He was a great friend and great guitar player. I've had the honor of working with him off and on for over thirty years. Prayers for his soul and family. More information will be posted as soon as it becomes known.
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 12:15 pm    

This is very, very sad news. Billy Johnson and his guitar are one of the reasons they call Nashville: "Guitar Town." Billy was a longtime Opry, touring and studio sideman musician. He had an extensive list of artist credits including long stints with Billy Walker and Porter Wagoneer and probably many more I'm leaving out. In addition to being capable of playing anything on the guitar and catch any harmony part - Billy had a hilarious - belly laughing - sense of humor. To me - he played the guitar as good as anyone played the guitar. A musician like Billy Johnson is what Nashville is really about. Our prayers go out for Billy, Dina and the kids.

Here's Billy playing guitar and singing harmony with Billy Walker w/ Ronnie Cochran on bass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMeIf1hiQNw

Last edited by robert kramer on 27 Feb 2012 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 12:53 pm    

Oh no, this is sad news! Sad Billy was a great guy to hang with and bend the elbow. And what a picker!! Nashville will be a little less fun place to visit now.
Dale Hansen

Hendersonville,Tennessee, (USA)
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 2:43 pm    

This is absolutely terrible news.
Billy and Dina were two of the first, and unquestionably, the very finest, people that I met when I first moved out here.
Billy was a gem of a person,...as is Dina.
What you may not know, was that Billy was a frequent reader of the SGF, and kept up on the news about all of us...
Billy really surprised me one day,..by asking me how I was doing, after a wreck that I was involved in. (September, 2011)
I hadn't seen him in a great while, so, of course, I had to ask how he even knew about it. He replied, that he saw a post about it on the SGF. He added, that he was in the habit of checking into the Forum fairly often, to keep up with what was going on with his steel playing buddies.
That small, first-hand revelation is quite consistent with the big-hearted, others-centered, Billy that I knew,...and admired greatly.

Prayers, and love, to Dina, and their kids.

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 2:48 pm    

Im so sorry to hear this sad news. Billy epitomized what Nashville musicianship is/or should be all about. He could play anything thrown at him and was a fine vocalist and bassist as well. A funnier cat you'll never meet. I'll miss him greatly.
My prayers for Dina and family.
RIP my old friend.

MC
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 3:05 pm    

Sad news, my condolences.
David Thornhill

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 4:53 pm     friend

Billy was a true friend. I have known him since he was 6 years old. I played many times with his mom and dad (Hank and Anna Mae Johnson) at the Fronteer Ranch in Columbus Ohio in the Mid Sixties. Billy always gave me a hug just about every time I seen him. I will miss him very much. Rest in peace my friend. Dave Thornhill
Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 5:06 pm    

Billy was a great guy and friend. He played on Georgette last 2 shows with us, he will be missed.

www.georgettejones.net
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 5:33 pm    

I played a lot of gigs with Billy going back 30 years or so, and it was always a good musical experience. Luckily, I got to work with him a few times in the past year. I never thought it would be the last year.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 6:49 pm    

A truly sad day for so many of us that knew and loved Billy. He is already sorely missed. Prayers for the family and friends going up.
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 7:09 pm    

I'm sorry to hear about Billy passing away. He was truly one of Nashville's finest. He also had a great sense of humor and would always have you in stitches every time you saw him. My thoughts and prayers go out to Dina and the girls. May he RIP.
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 8:55 pm    

Very sad. Billy was a great player and an even better person. RIP.
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 10:50 pm    

Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 3:43 am    

What s sad day!
I'm happy to say that we were friends with Billy....
Jammed with him and Dee in Nashville and had a great time.
Will miss you my friend
Tony
Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 4:34 am    

I was fortunate to have worked with Billy many times qver the past 30 years or so. I feel like I lost a brother. Whenever u worked with Billy u knew there was gonna be some great music whether he was playing guitar, bass, or singing. He could make a slow nite fun with his great sense of humour and his spirit. I love you my friend.

Goodlettsville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 9:06 am    

Arrangments for Billy Johnson are as follows,

Services will be held at the
Madison Funeral Home,
219 East Old Hickory Blvd,
Madison , TN 37115
615 868-9020

Visitation will be Weds from 2- 4 and 6 - 8 PM
Service will be at 11 AM on Thursday.
Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 10:06 am    

Billy was a super-friend and a great musician. I, too played with his parents in Ohio. Billy started out playing a snare drum on a stand when he was 6 or 7 yrs. old. I played with Billy numerous times in Nashville during the '80's, '90's, and even recently. I can't ever remember playing with Billy and not enjoying myself. I would put him up against anyone on playing traditional country music, knowing the songs; lyrics, intro's, turnarounds, signature licks, and all. He could front a band as well as anyone I've ever known. My condolences go out to Dina and his two girls. This is one of the saddest days of my life.

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 12:36 pm    

Sad news...I knew Billy for 35 years...he was great at playing COUNTRY music...shuffles,that kinda stuff...almost a lost art...he could play any song,any style,sang like a bird,played bass like it was his main instrument...like Bob Kramer said,he played the guitar as good as anyone played the guitar...

I will miss him.
Mike Jones

Goodlettsville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 3:26 pm    

JOHNSON, William David, “Billy,” age 51, died February 27, 2012. Preceded in death by parents, Adrian and Anna May Thomas Johnson. Survived by wife, Dina Nelson Johnson; daughters, Hannah Marie, Madilee Grace Johnson, Billie Joe (Jonce) Fye; sister, Janet Ray (Don) Schwab; brother, Thomas Adrian (Winnie) Johnson; five grandchildren; several nieces and nephews. He was an accomplished guitarist/bassist. He worked on the Morning Show and at the Grand Old Opry. He played with Porter Waggoner, Billy Walker, Connie Smith, Margo Smith, Jeannie Seely and Jim Ed Brown. Visitation with the family will be at Madison Funeral Home Wednesday 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. Funeral services Thursday at 11 a.m. in the Chapel of Madison Funeral Home. Online tributes madisonfuneralhome.net MADISON FUNERAL HOME, 615-868-9020
Bob Callaway

Bob & Barbara of Shepherdsville, Kentucky
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 4:25 pm    

Very sad news. Although I didn't know Billy well I did admire his playing and his personality very much. He will truly be missed. Our prayers for his family and friends.
Bob& Barbara Callaway and Margit Stepp Derby Steel Guitars.
Member LMSGC, NTSGA, ASGA, OzarkSGA, PSGA,
www.BobCallaway
Buddy Jennison

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 9:06 pm     A smiling face is gone

I don't believe I ever saw Billy, without that smile. It was either there or on its way. Seems like I've known him, forever. What a personality!!! He was so proud of Dina and his two girls. He bragged on them all the time. I met them and I know why. I'm sure glad that I knew him. "Little" Buddy,

Bucyrus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 2:04 pm     He will be missed...

Sorry to learn of Billy's untimely passing. Always enjoyed talking with him and listening to him play. He will be greatly missed. Our condolences.
Dan Carr & Diana Campbell