| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics pickups
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2012 12:51 pm    

Does anyone know if Telonics has retailers selling their pickups? I emailed Dave Beatty for information about ordering a couple of days ago but there has been no response. They don't seem to have a presence on the forum, or none that I've found. There are a lot of different types shown on the website but it's hard to know which pickup to select for which guitar.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2012 2:03 pm    

i don't know if you used this email to get in touch w: telonics Bill
dave"AT"telonics.com
Dave Beaty usually answers most mails even though, he's busy running his company
Don't despair & try again
Dave is a member here as well & does post regularly
Jim Palenscar is a retailer for Telonics :
http://www.steelguitars.me/

in the meantime ask the fo'bros who have the Telonics PUs for the info & recommendations
or just have a look here :

http://www.tpa-az.com/downloads/Pickups_InstallationAnd%20Usage120611.pdf

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=221148&highlight=telonics

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=215423&highlight=telonics

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=201585&highlight=telonics

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=216310&highlight=telonics

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=220989&highlight=telonics

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=221236&highlight=telonics
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2012 3:05 pm    

http://www.john-lemay.com/Welcome.html
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2012 6:07 pm    

Thanks for the replies. Dave Beaty of Telonics was in contact with me late today and I'm going to work with him to arrive at the best choice of a pickup for my needs.
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2012 10:46 am    

Bill,
I think you are gonna like them! I LOVE mine
Dave and I have spent tons of time on the phone. He will do his best to make you happy, I'm sure.
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2012 6:17 pm    

Hi Justin, from what I can make out these pickups seem to be pleasing most everyone who has tried them. I've tried quite few pickups in my guitar and the only one I really didn't like was an E66. It may have been great in another guitar. Basically I just like to experiment with pickups and listen and aim for subtle improvements. Hope to have some fun with a Telonics as soon as I can decide which one to get.
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 6:31 am    

I just put a 206 in mine and it sounds realy good, it looks like the BL 705, it has a very clean tone and the seperation of notes is great. I havent played it out yet but sure sounds good at home
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 7:51 am     Telonics Pickups

I have a #151 pickup in my 12 string universal. This pickup has a bar and a row of adjustable poles. Sounds very very good. Telonics builds great stuff and Dave Beaty and his staff go above and beyond to take care of you.
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 9:31 am    

Bill Miller wrote:
Hi Justin, from what I can make out these pickups seem to be pleasing most everyone who has tried them. I've tried quite few pickups in my guitar and the only one I really didn't like was an E66. It may have been great in another guitar. Basically I just like to experiment with pickups and listen and aim for subtle improvements. Hope to have some fun with a Telonics as soon as I can decide which one to get.

Like Roger, I have the 206/183 in the 9th neck of my Sho~Bud. I had a BL 705 in there. Everything Roger has said goes for me too. I have been playing with the hight a little here and there but so far I love it.

I NEVER thought I'd like any pickup as well as a 705 in my Sho~Bud. I am a fan of Tru-Tone single coils in Emmons P/P's and such, but the single coil was not providing the "growl" I was looking for in the Bud. I am thankful to Dave B. for explaining all of the technology that went into designing this line of pickups. They built like 200 prototypes before settling on the current lineup. Gotta love folks who care that much about us!

I am going to try the model 187 next. I love how the bar is farther from changer on treble stings and the bass strings are opposite.
Model 84 is also getting my curiosity up....

Bill,
I'd love to discuss this further on or off board. If you are game shoot me a email or PM and we can share what we know with each other.
Here is a picture with the different models now offered:

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 9:42 am    

I also have a spare Blanton pickup that is a little microphonic I am going to give Dave to take apart and study. Jerry wound those himself but they are a unique design. They are indeed special. Maybe they can learn something from them that will help future designs.
I love my Blanton pickups but I'd try something else if I thought it would improve the already great tone. The problem is Blanton pickups mount very different and I know there are not enough of these guitars around to justify Telonics making one just for us Blanton guys.
Justin
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 2:11 pm    

These look interesting. My question is: how intuitive is balancing the volume across the strings for those that have adjustable pole pieces? I generally gravitate toward things that are "G.I. proof" as sometimes I'm vulnerable to confusion. Embarassed I'm not sure I'm smart enough or I trust my ear good enough to balance them for optimum performance.
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 2:55 pm    

Jerry, they warn you in the literature that you need to be ready to spend some time adjusting in order to get the most out of these pickups and also that not everyone is going to succeed unless they have the patience to work at it. I like to tinker so I'm going to give it a shot. Several people have said that the end result is well worth it.
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 5:55 am    

I'm with ya Jerry, thats why i bought the 206 blade type, plug and play.
Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 8:04 am     Pickup Roll Pitch and Yaw

Although the Telonics pups with non-adjustable poles work pretty well when they are "level" by all reports, their design is intentionally very sensitive to orientation. Several players have reported that they were originally pleased when they first installed them "flat", or even tipped a bit in the "pitch" axis. BUT, they report some real magic happened when they "rolled" them radically with the bar on the neck side high and the bar on the changer side low. Justin did you try this?
Oh by the way Justin, your picture of the pickup family is out of date, there are thirteen (13) types.
I'll email you a current manual later today and we'll have all the info at the TSGA show in Dallas next week. Any questions or for an email copy of the manual (it's in process), just email me at dave@telonics.com until Friday when we load the trucks for Texas.
All the best!
Dave
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 8:33 am    

Dave,
Sorry I posted an out of date photo. Please do shoot me the new one pal.
Yes,
I have tilted my pickup as you described and it really came alive. Hard to believe it could be any better, but it is!
Thanks for all you do!
Justin
Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 10:39 am     Telonics Pickup Models

Here are the current Telonics pickup models:

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 7:02 am    

These PUPs sound realy good, and with the rite speakers they sound amazing