| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel player with Spade Cooley
Alain-Yves Pigeon

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2012 8:51 am    

Who plays the steel guitar on Spade Cooley's Oklahoma Stomp? He's simply fantastic and Buddy Emmons gives a great rendition of this song on his album Swingin' from the 40' thru the 80's. I guess it was originaly played on C6th no pedal and I know Buddy plays it on E9th (from his Expedition E9 album and tablature).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D14M9uW5sF0

Best to all,
ayp

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2012 9:30 am     Got a question for ye!

How were you able to determine/identify the original tuning on this song to be C6th?

What was your clue?

Was it the same tuning in BOTH parts played by Murphy?
Alain-Yves Pigeon

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2012 9:48 am    

Ray,

Just found this on Buddy Emmons archives, "Ask Buddy".

Oklahoma Stomp
Date: 02 Mar 2002
Hi Buddy, What neck did you use for Oklahoma Stomp on the Ray Pennington CD? It sounds like C6th of course, but I have your course which tabs this out in E9th. Also, are there any other recordings you've done on E9th that intentionally sound like C6th?

Both versions of Oklahoma Stomp were played on the E9th tuning. The song "Wills Point" and Larry Gatlin's "Houston" emulated the E 13th and A 6th tunings Noel Boggs used, but I can't think of any other tunes that relate to the C6th tuning.

I stand corrected thanks to Ernie bringing it to my attention. The original version on 40s thru the 80s was not all E9th.

Still, the question remains, who's the player with Spade Cooley? Joaquin Murphy or Noel Boggs?

ayp

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2012 10:39 am    

Oklahoma Stomp, with Spade, was Joaquin Murphey.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2012 11:16 am    

I'm pretty sure that Murph played "Oklahoma Stomp" on what he referred to as C#minor tuning, more commonly called E13th by the late 40's.

A typical arrangement for the Plainsmen was that Murph would take the first solo on C6, then either Harry Sims on fiddle or George Bamby on accordion would take the bridge, then Murph would finish the solo on C#minor. I've heard that setup on a bunch of tunes of Spade's, Tex's, and the Plainsmen.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2012 12:57 pm    

The original Oklahoma Stomp Steel Player was Joaquin Murphy. Joaquin and Noel Boggs played entirely different't styles and approches to playing the Steel Guitar. I was around Noel here in So. Calif. for years and I never heard him even attempt to play the Oklahoma Stomp. Eash had their own style of Single string playing. They were both great players and were in competition with each other for gigs and recording sessions. THEN: Speedy West arrived and took his playing from both these styles, started using special effects (Doo-Wahs, and Bar Chatter, hooked up with Cliffie Stone and pretty much took over Steel Playing on most recordings made out here in So. Calif.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2012 4:03 pm    

Billy Tonnesen wrote:
Speedy West arrived and took over Steel Playing on most recordings made out here in So. Calif.
I guess The Beatles can't be blamed for that one!
Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2012 8:52 pm    

I have a remastered 33 1/3 Spade Cooley Record that includes Oklahoma Stomp. There is text on the record jacket telling a little about taking the numbers from old 78s & telling about the research. Credits say the original "Oklahoma Stomp" was recorded May 3, 1946 in Hollywood by Columbia Records. Joaquin Murphey was credited as the Steeler. Other band members were also credited except for the pianist & the bassist. dc
Peewee Charles

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2012 12:31 pm     Oklahoma Stomp

Hi Alain, Pretty sure it was Joaquin Murphy on original Spade Cooley....I did a version, like Buddy's, cut with the Western Swing Authority...someone in the audience recorded it...here it is...It was done on the E9th...Take care...Love the swing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkp6Z7Ud1XQ Here's the Swing site for some more great standards.... www.thewestenswingauthority.com
Peewee Charles

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2012 12:31 pm     Oklahoma Stomp

Hi Alain, Pretty sure it was Joaquin Murphy on original Spade Cooley....I did a version, like Buddy's, cut with the Western Swing Authority...someone in the audience recorded it...here it is...It was done on the E9th...Take care...Love the swing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkp6Z7Ud1XQ Here's the Swing site for some more great standards.... www.thewestenswingauthority.com
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2012 3:06 pm    

Murphey played "Steel guitar rag" Theme song for WCKY Cinn. AM radio in the 1950's. They open and closed to this song. (no pedals)
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2012 4:23 pm    

Great stuff, Peewee!
Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 7:46 am    

Hey Peewee,
your second link is missing an 'r'.

Her's a working link:
http://www.thewesternswingauthority.com/