| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hi! I'm new!
Sandro Rocco

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 9:37 am    

Hi everyone. I am very new to the pedal steel community. I've always loved the sound of the instrument and have obsessed about buying one for quite some time. It is a terrifying field of music to get into. I am currently looking to buy my first pedal steel, but I will get into that further down.

My musical background has been the rhythm section for some time. I started when I was young, playing drums. I play electric and upright bass now in an "indie" band. I've played bass and guitar almost as long as I can remember, and dabble in the mandolin and lap steel guitar. I like playing the lap steel, but feel incredible limited to what it can do.

The most familiar pedal steel player I listen to on a regular basis is Mike Mogis of Bright Eyes and Monsters of Folk. I've also been liking the steel playing on Bry Webb's new album. I would love to listen to some variety, who else should I be listening to?

Sooo, that's my introduction.

In terms of buying a pedal steel, I have to ask you all for your opinions, Ive been looking around quite a bit at some models:

Carter Starter (around $850? used)
Stage One (about $1000 new)
GFI Student Model (about $1200 new)
Sho Bud Maveriks (eBay around $800 used)
Wilcox SD-10 (2010) ($1100 like new)
BMI S-12 (4 and 5) ($1400 used)

What should I be looking into more seriously? I read that the Wilcox's were made only okay back a few years ago but the production has gotten much better. DOes anyone have any experience with the newer ones?

I hear nothing but good things with the Stage ones and the Carters are lesser to them. The GFI student model looks pretty sound but I have been talking with a dealer near where I live and he tells me they are limited for the cost.

The BMI I've been looking at is at the much upper part of my budget for a pedal steel.

What are your suggestions for a steel that I will want to keep playing and not have very many issues with? Am I on the right track with this list? Should I avoid most vintage builds? Is a all pull system better for a new guy than a push pull?

Thank you in advance!
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 9:46 am    

Hi Sandro,
Welcome, another Ontarian to the SGF!
In your quest for a pedal steel, I just wanted to make you aware of the BenRom SD10 that I build. You can see and hear it on the website listed below. If it should spark your interest, email me either through this forum or in Contact on the web site.
Dealing with a Canadian builder lets you avoid heavy import duties - and more. You also have the builder handy for tweaks and touch-ups if it should ever be needed.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 9:56 am    

Sandro, whatever you buy, make sure that it has 4 knee levers. Don't get anything with fewer than that.
Matthew Schwartz

Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 9:58 am     Stage One

I've had my Stage One now for just a few months and I love it. It's easy to play , great tone , and very light weight.

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 10:00 am    

Thanks for the replies already. I like that this community is very active.

With four knee levers....is that just so that I get used to it right away?

And Bent, I sent you an email about your pedal steels.

Matthew, How do you find the Stage One in terms of build? Is it pretty solid? How about the case?
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 10:22 am    

Ben-Rom looks really nice but I've never seen one up close.

Stage One would be excellent.

Maverick and Carter Starter would be OK at $200 or less; otherwise probably not.

And you don't need 4 knee levers now.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 10:53 am    

I'd get four or five knees to start with, so you won't get the frustration of having to upgrade or replace your guitar in a year or two.
But if you choose instructional materials aimed at your skill level, it'll be a little while before you'll use a second one, let alone all 4.
I figure it's better to have them and not have a use for them than the other way 'round.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 10:54 am    

I agree with Mike P. on this one.

If you stick with the pedal steel, you're sooner or later going to want at least three knee levers--very few players use fewer than four--so why have to go through the trouble of adding levers later?

And if you don't stick with the pedal steel, you'll probably be selling it, and, given the above, a guitar with four knee levers will be considerably easier to sell.

(Lane and I were typing at the same time.)
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 11:43 am     New

I play a Sho-Bud and the cost for levers and their setup hardware runs about $150.00 a kit. So with that in mind you can add that to the cost of the steel that does not have them. and belieive you me if it gets hold on you, the other levers are a must. Even if you don't need them right away, you can always noodle around with them and find some discoverys on your own. Go all out! I made this miscalculation and regreted it. Wink Very Happy Welcome to the forum.
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 11:47 am     New

I play a Sho-Bud and the cost for levers and their setup hardware runs about $150.00 a kit. So with that in mind you can add that to the cost of the steel that does not have them. and belieive you me if it gets hold on you, the other levers are a must. Even if you don't need them right away, you can always noodle around with them and find some discoverys on your own. Go all out! I made this miscalculation and regreted it. Wink Very Happy Welcome to the forum.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 11:56 am    

When I first started, I borrowed a Maverick with one knee lever. Within 2 weeks I had read about the E to F change, and understood its function, and was frustrated that the Maverick didn't have it.

Much of today's instruction material includes things that use E to F raise at the very least. And in the opinion of most players, myself included, the E to Eb change should be on both E strings, and the second string lower should be on a different knee lever.

There are different options for the 4th lever, and it's true that it's going to be a while before you will be exploring those, but as Brint says, you may as well get a guitar that already has one save yourself the trouble of adding it later.

BTW both the Carter Starter and the Stage One have 4 of them.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 11:59 am    

On more thing- do you want to play rock? If so, you will do better with a 12 string. The extra strings will allow you to play power chords.
Sandro Rocco

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 1:44 pm    

I am thinking I am going to pull the trigger on the BMI S-12 and get it at 1400 bucks. Anyone have any opinion on these?
Mike Moffitt

South Carolina
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 2:01 pm     New Here

My only advice to you is STAY AWAY FROM THE CARTER STARTER,,Now that I've made that clear,Welcome
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 2:17 pm    

Sandro Rocco wrote:
I am thinking I am going to pull the trigger on the BMI S-12 and get it at 1400 bucks. Anyone have any opinion on these?

I think that of the ones you mentioned originally, that's the best choice. It's the one that provides the most versatility.

There's something you needn't concern yourself with right now called the E9/B6 universal tuning, that requires 12 strings. If, at some later date, you choose to use this tuning, the BMI will accommodate it.

But don't concern yourself with it now. For the time being, concentrate on the regular, or extended E9.
Sandro Rocco

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 3:00 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Sandro Rocco wrote:

I think that of the ones you mentioned originally, that's the best choice. It's the one that provides the most versatility.

There's something you needn't concern yourself with right now called the E9/B6 universal tuning, that requires 12 strings. If, at some later date, you choose to use this tuning, the BMI will accommodate it.

But don't concern yourself with it now. For the time being, concentrate on the regular, or extended E9.

I figure, for the price, at least I will have something that I can continue to learn on. Thanks again for the assistance. What steel players should I be listening to?
Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 3:21 pm     BMI 12 str.

The BMI you speak of is probably in some sort of extended E9 tuning ( by the 4 floor/ 5 knee pedal count)and is a good, solid professional grade instrument. It will keep you busy for many years.

With luck, the seller will be able to show you the changes it's set up for,what gauge strings to use, and so on. A visit to Al Briscoe at Steel Guitars of Canada with your new baby would be a smart move; Al can quickly sort it out for you. You could get picks, bar, strings, etc. and steel recordings and instruction material there while you're at it.

Welcome to the Forum; it's an amazing place and I wish it had existed when I was a new steeler.

Cheers, Chris

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 3:35 pm    

Quote:
"What should I be listening to?"

Yet again, I must refer you to our all-purpose "different styles" thread. It's up to nine pages of what has become the non-country list... you may hate me for this, if you can pull yourself off of YouTube long enough to do so. Laughing

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=208507

(You can bookmark the thread too, if you don't want to do the 250 hrs. all at once.)
Sandro Rocco

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 3:39 pm     Re: BMI 12 str.

Chris Reesor wrote:
The BMI you speak of is probably in some sort of extended E9 tuning ( by the 4 floor/ 5 knee pedal count)and is a good, solid professional grade instrument. It will keep you busy for many years.

With luck, the seller will be able to show you the changes it's set up for,what gauge strings to use, and so on. A visit to Al Briscoe at Steel Guitars of Canada with your new baby would be a smart move; Al can quickly sort it out for you. You could get picks, bar, strings, etc. and steel recordings and instruction material there while you're at it.

Welcome to the Forum; it's an amazing place and I wish it had existed when I was a new steeler.

Cheers, Chris

That is exatcly the one I am talking about.
Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 3:54 pm    

There you go, Sandro. If you buy from Al, you'll be sure to get a guitar that's ready to go, set up properly. Enjoy the journey!

CR.

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 4:21 pm    

Chris Reesor wrote:
There you go, Sandro. If you buy from Al, you'll be sure to get a guitar that's ready to go, set up properly. Enjoy the journey!

CR.

Thanks.

I may swing by his shop on Sunday. Thanks for the welcoming everyone. I love an active community!
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2012 5:38 am    

Don't overlook MSA Classic, if you run across a used one. They are professional grade instruments, and usually priced below other used models for some reason, maybe because so many were made back in the 70s. My first guitar was a garage sale find, a 4x4 MSA Classic. I'm so glad I did not buy a Carter Starter!
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2012 7:32 am    

The MSA Classic (and Semi Classic) have lower values both because of their quantity and their mass. My D-10 Classic weighs a LOT, probably beyond 70#.
That's 20 more than comparable guitars.
That said, they're solidly built, mechanically. And VERY easy to change copedent around on.
And they come in many attractive styles of Formica. (and the later ones did come in lacquer)
Sandro Rocco

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2012 6:04 pm    

Thank you everyone for your input and welcoming to the community. I have decided to go with a BMI S-12. Extended E9 with 5 knee levers (lkl, lkv, lkr, rnl, rnr) and 4 floor pedals. I didn't think I would be getting something so advanced off the bat, but everyone has told me to jump in with both feet. So I think all of you again. I am picking up my pedal steel on Sunday. I am sure I will have a ton of question for everyone then.

Here's a first one: Any copedents I should be looking at for this specific build? I have been looking at b0b's page for it:

Is this what I should be expecting: http://www.b0b.com/tunings/mcclung.htm

and what is comp?

Thanks
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2012 4:53 am    

On a copedent, that's short for compensators. Raising or lowering a small amount to "true" another interval.
One thing I'd recommend, unless you're already quite mechanically inclined, would be to have Al put your desired copedent on it.
Better yet, ask him what's on it, and if it has the same changes, but on different knees, save the money (he's not gonna spend a couple hours under your guitar for free, of course)

EDIT (after looking at John's copedent):
Most guitars will have John's X pedal on a lever, usually the vertical.
Like Mike P. said, most folks put at least the E#(most call it F, but it's not used as an F) lever on the LKL, and almost as many put their D# lever on the LKR.
His near LKL and his LKR are common changes, so common they're pretty standard.
I would expect those changes, but in different places. Most likely a mirror swap, LKL <-> RKR and LKR <-> RKL. And pedal X on the vertical. I can think of a couple different things for the 4th pedal, but it might be different.

Last edited by Lane Gray on 9 Feb 2012 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total