| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel guitar and the discovery of its diversity...
Donna King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2012 7:39 pm    

Ok all! I am fairly new to steel guitar appreciation...I mean I heard it when I was a kid, but I thought of it in one style...Since then, I've learned it is about as diverse an instrument as any. And I actually LOVE every style it offers (that I've heard so far). Seeing Zane King play has been like going to 10 different gourmet restaurants with a different, yet amazing, feature at each one (all from the same gifted chef)! I just want to thank you all for bringing music and all it's emotion to life on the steel guitar!
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2012 6:49 pm    

Donna, I agree with you one hundred percent, as a steel guitarist and steel guitar enthusiast, I feel the same way you do. The steel guitar can play different types of music and sounds wonderful in country and other types of music. That's why the steel guitar is so amazing-its' sounds and looks are incredible! And we steel guitarists are glad you are part of our steel guitar family!

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2012 8:59 pm    

Go ye forth and preach the gospel, Donna!
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2012 9:45 pm    

Where is the LIKE button?
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2012 11:04 pm     Re:

You are right on Donna. I made my living for over 35 years playing steel. I worked in bands that played blue grass,western swing,country even real jazz and big band style years ago. It is sort of sad the steel guitar can't shake the country music image but over the years i saw the times and styles change so many times and thats how i came to learn so many styles. It was a matter of survival.
IMHO many need to accept the fact they can't force the public to like any certian thing. I bet you have a good ear for music and it shows. Tracy

Last edited by Tracy Sheehan on 4 Feb 2012 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donna King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2012 7:46 am     Thanks guys!

Thanks guys for the comments! I am such a newbie at it all, yet music (with all my ability and inability) is my passion and my career...so being open to expanding any gift or instrument makes me VERY happy! I feel like there is a whole world out there that thinks of steel guitar in one single limited way and I would love to share with the entire world that it is SO MUCH MORE than they know. Remember when you were a kid and your momma made you eat stuff you knew you couldn't stand and when you grew up, you couldn't live without that food! That is how I feel about steel guitar! I think I might have grown up (at least in that dept. HA)...I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT IT!
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2012 12:47 pm    

Donna -

Ya gotta visit Jim Cohen's jazz site. I'll put in a shameless plug for my friend Buck Reid. Dan Jones offers a couple of subdued tunes guaranteed to sooth a tortured soul. Many others, to be sure.

Enjoy.

Richard
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2012 2:12 pm    

What does it for me with Zane's music is, if you want some kicking country music, he can play it and play it well.
Want some jazz and/or blues, he plays it well.
Want some Gospel, modern or old school, he plays it well. And on top of all that, the guy plays most of the background instruments himself and plays them all very well! He writes both instumentals and vocals himself. Zane is about as close to the perfect all around artist that you can get and if you want examples, get his My Student Years cd. The guy recorded Hooked On Strings at 14 and will blow your mind. Zane King was born to play steel guitar!!
I am a proud member of the Z Team!
JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2012 1:14 pm    

WOW Wally this chick is hot , young and she loves Steel guitar and appreciates great players like Zane..Is there still hope for the new generation that some of em will see the difference from a Pop culture Icon like Taylor Swift and guys like us and Zane that are, truly dedicated to what country music is and should be about? how refreshing...
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2012 11:01 am    

I quite agree, JR!
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2012 2:55 pm    

We had a long, almost exhausting thread a ways back asking people to post up all their favorite different styles. It's up to 9 pages now, and if you bookmark it, you will have months of fun in visiting & re-visiting - and maybe tacking stuff on, too. Here:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=208507

If anyone is brave enough, we might could even evolve a rudimentary map or directory and sticky it. In the meantime, enjoy....
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 5:24 am    

Oh... diversity, at first I thought she said "adversity"... Smile

It can have that too....

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 6:42 am    

Yeah, my wife says my steel playing is diverse. Well, actually what she said was: "Dat's diverse steel playing I ever heard."

(rimshot!)