| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  In praise of a string...
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2012 1:01 pm    

The versatile and STRONG steel guitar string…great for removing a fretboard with the help of a heat gun.
Also very strong..I mean they take a lot of punishment. I use the # .011 in my test rig. It gets mounted and tuned up just past the usual pitch. Then it gets raised and lowered numerous times as I try out the changer workings. Then the string gets taken off, the changer finger has an adjustment made, string gets re-installed and goes thru this same punishment numerous times before finally giving up. I simply can’t understand the people who complain that their strings break prematurely. I have the utmost respect for the lowly steel guitar string..yessir…
Ben Feher

Austin TX
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2012 1:13 pm    

I think on E9th string 5 B sounds the best.

.018P FTW
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2012 5:48 pm    

They also work in cheese cutters, and are good for removing windshields from cars...
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2012 11:56 pm    

Perhaps a bit of topic drift, but I agree with Ben, the fifth string on the E9 tuning is the best sounding string. I play that string way more than any other. I consider it the most important string in the tuning. You can hit the fifth string and then with judicious bar movement, pedal and lever action, and vibrato, get all kinds of emotions out of the steel.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2012 8:28 am    

Paul, topic drift ok...We're just praising a different string, that's all Smile Yes, the way you explained it, I am with you and Ben for sure. As for my home builts, I do get the nicest most unique sound out of the 5th string. It can't be explained, its gotta be heard. It has a certain sound open, that changes (and is still nice) when you work the pedal or bar. I have found that this sound stands out more so using my own home wound single coils. The tendency is also in the 6th string plain, but more subtle.