| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  what kind of pedal steel
Eric Bergman

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2012 10:29 am    

Ive been playing a 70's Fender s10 made for Shobud for a year now and would like to upgrade to a better instrument. I have no idea what im looking for and being out here in the NW it's hard to find help. An s10 is what I'm looking for so if anybody can help this beginner out I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Eric
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2012 10:52 am    

Where are you located, Eric? If you are anywhere here on the upper left edge you are surrounded by steelers who will gladly assist you.

There are a number of excellent used steels for sale here on the forume, and lots of discussion about their various merits. Bob Muller in particular has a number of nice ShoBuds and you might be able to get him to part with one....
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2012 12:58 pm    

Eric, I too started on a Fender S10. Since then, I have owned 4 other brands. For me, the Mullen has the best to offer, and their service is second to none. I won't mention the other brands, cause I don't want to belittle any of them. I just love the Mullen, and they now offer the Discovery S10 a great pro guitar at an affordable price. You will get opinions on every brand out there. Good luck with your search. Larry
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2012 1:07 pm    

Eric, I play a Jackson. They are great steels with a classic sound and the Jacksons are great people who build wonderful steels!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2012 2:37 pm    

GFI
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2012 7:18 pm    

Hi, Eric, and welcome to one of the perennial questions here in forumville. Seems everyone loves their current favorite, keep in mind many players have tried many brands and can advise on differences, others have played only a few and found what they think is the ultimate machine.
I've been playing professionally for over 30 years, and owned and played many of the top brands and some lesser-known units. My honest feeling is that nearly any of the brands have many great features and generally good quality- but the "fit" is truly personal, and you may have to play for a few years to find a guitar that really does it for you.
That being said, almost any pro model steel will feel and sound like an upgrade from your present axe.
I'd suggest some time looking through past sales posts here, on ebay, craigslist, etc. to get an idea what various brands sell for used, and keep an eye out for something within your budget that is in the "reasonable price" bracket, so you have some resale prospects if you want to upgrade again.
While some folks find their dream guitar early in the search, many of us have gone through many guitars over time. I'd be happy to be still playing quite a few of the ones I've owned, but I'm also glad I've traded/sold into different guitars to really check them out.
For some it's the "vintage vibe" or a connection to a guitar or player that first wowed them, others like a totally new updated machine, or a guitar like their favorite player favors.
Think about what's important to you as a player and enjoy the research!