| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  buzzing lap steel
Chris Griffin

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2012 6:15 pm    

Hi guys, My Rondo SX lap steel has developed an intermittent buzzing sound. Seems to be changing from string to string. Is it likely to be the pickup? I know the SX is not a great instrument and is merely a stepping stone to a better one, or a candidate to be hot-rodded. I plugged another guitar into the amp & it was fine. The strings are new & are sitting properly. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
By the way, does anyone know if the new model series 2, with the dog-ear pickup & without the bridge cover, is a much better instrument or not much different?
Chris

Last edited by Chris Griffin on 18 Jan 2012 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Griffin

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2012 1:05 am    

Hello Steelologists, I detuned the strings by a half tone (it's in Leavitt tuning) It presently seems OK when I press the steel down harder, string 2 being buzzy until I do that. I'll have to see how it goes for a little while. That Leavitt tuning, as well as C6, is pretty tight tuning. I have proper C6 strings on it.
Any observations out there?
Chris
Bob Reani

Como - Italy
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2012 3:32 am    

Hi, is an electrical buzz or a mechanical buzz?
If it's the secondo case, perhaps the slots for the strings in your saddle ( or nut) must be regenerate.

bye

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2012 8:54 am    

Without knowing whether the buzz is mechanical or electrical, it's hard to say. The newer Rondo SX lap steels are improved from the originals in my opinion. I prefer not having the bridge cover.
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2012 10:32 am    

Chris Griffin wrote:
... It presently seems OK when I press the steel down harder, string 2 being buzzy until I do that. ...

Sounds to me like when you changed strings that you might have used different gauges. As a result, the tops of the strings are now not all even with each other. When that happens the low string(s) will rattle / buzz on the bottom of the bar.

If you are otherwise happy with the new strings, you could try using a larger gauge on #2 to bring its height up or re-cut the nut to match the current gauges.
Chris Griffin

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2012 12:06 pm    

Thanks guys, It's an electrical buzz. Began a couple of days ago, first on string #1. It then went to #3 then stopped, then yesterday back to #1. Seems like a wave going in & out in the pickup. Sounds like it's going to self-destruct! It's good presently since I loosened the tuning a half tone but I don't trust it.(When I went to C6 tuning a few weeks ago, 2 tuning pegs broke under the tighter pressure. That's 3 that have gone on it. I replaced the whole lot with better ones & reversed the way they sat on the headstock)
Chris

Last edited by Chris Griffin on 18 Jan 2012 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Griffin

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2012 6:57 pm    

Tom, Thanks for the tip about a larger gauge string on #2. I might have to do that.
Chris