| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E lever Not returning to pitch problem!! HELP!
Kevin Bollivar

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 6:13 pm    

Hey fellow steelers,

Can you help me with a recent tuning problem on my Pre Mullen sd-10?I recently changed the strings on the guitar(same as what was on it before the change)I bought the guitar used back in Sep.....it always stayed in tune excellent prior to the recent string change.When using the pedals it stays in tune perfect,no change is noticed in pitch.When I engage the E lever in a raise or lower it is not returning to pitch,on the 8th string(very noticeable)....I looked underneath,and you can see it is not returning enough.It's like there not quite enough tension on the spring......I have tryed a little triflow on anything that moves,and it still don't solve this problem......everything else is fine...just the E lever,and it only started when I changed the strings....I used the same exact strings that were on it from before...I just fiqured where they were 4 months old,it was time for some fresh ones.Is there anthing you could suggest for me to do....I am pretty new to the pedal steel,and this is the first time I ever changed the strings on this Mullen...The strings were the same gauge as before.....only thing I did,was tryed to raise the A,B and C pedals to a higher height....would this have changed anything in that way??

If there is a link that you could send me,as to the proper way to do a set up....I'd be grateful...not sure about the splits.Think I have an idea,but not sure on them.I do have a Peterson Strobo Flip set to sweetened E9th.

Last edited by Kevin Bollivar on 8 Jan 2012 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 6:31 pm     Re: E lever Not returning to pitch problem!! HELP!

Kevin Bollivar wrote:
When I engage the E lever in a raise or lower it is not returning to pitch,on the 7 string(very noticeable)

Do you mean string 8? When you lower it, it doesn't come back up to E?
Kevin Bollivar

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 6:48 pm    

Yeah Brett,sorry about that guys....what was I thinkin.Yes the 8th string.....GEEZ Rolling Eyes Sad Very Happy

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 6:57 pm     string 8

the only tuning issues i had were because of a spring, or the lack of, and having my nylon ends threaded in a little too far. it was pushing in on the raise and lower ports for lack of knowing what to call them. other things might be make sure the ball end of the string is where it should be, not off to the side between the cams, and make sure the string is locked at the tuner. thats all i know.
Tony Williamson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 6:59 pm    

try switching springs.
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 7:36 pm     E lever not returning to pitch

Kevin, could there possibly be any debris in your changer not allowing it to return properly? Maybe an old ball end of a string?
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 7:54 pm    

New strings require some stretching out at first, especially if there are a few winds at the peg. Pull the string up at the 12th fret by hand several times, and you'll probably notice it returning flat. Keep doing this until all the slack is out of the winds and it returns to pitch, then check your levers and pedals. If you are using the exact same brand and gauge, very little adjustment should be necessary. The height of the pedals should not affect its tuning at all, but return it to the original setting as a controlled experiment so that the only thing different is the strings. Generally the return spring tension set at the factory shouldnt need adjusting unless youve changed to a heavier gauge. If you can physically see that it isnt returning, check that theres nothing like a ball end stuck in there. Tighten the spring and see if it returns correctly, but make a note of the original tension and how much you change it, so that you can return it there if it doesnt help. Also, check the rollers at the nut to make sure they are turning freely.

Clete

Last edited by Clete Ritta on 8 Jan 2012 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 7:56 pm    

Check to make sure there is slack in the pullrods. It's possible for a pull to be balanced with the spring/string without you realizing it, then when you change strings you'll notice its totally messed up.

If everything seems to be working as it should, tighten the spring. Make sure to hold the spring with some pliers so you know how much you're turning it. A little at a time of course.
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 8:01 pm     E tuning

Could the strings be packaged wrong, Maybe? Question Question
Kevin Bollivar

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 8:15 pm    

Thanks guys,

I had stretched the strings when they were put on,and there was no ball end in the changer(I just wanted to change them)The roller nut was taken apart and cleaned up with rubbing alcohol and lubed up nice and light with Teflon tri-flo(works smooth)I think I might know the problem now that I think about it.When changing the strings,I remember of holding a screw driver lightly in the cavity of the changer,to help hold the ball end,stay in place when I was winding it to the peg head......I am wondering now if I stretched the spring??......I am thinking that's what happened.I will try and tighten the spring and see what happens.
Mean time is there a link,any of you can send me,that would explain,the proper way to do a set up,from start to finish.Such as adjusting the pedals,and making them in pitch the correct way....It was perfect before all this....but i WENT GON HO and and retuned all the strings(I thought I was doing it right)I think now,I bit off more then I could chew.It don't sound as good anymore when playin Oh Well

Once again thanks everyone,for all that you do.Your all a great bunch of people. Very Happy

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2012 7:01 am    

http://www.mullenguitars.com/ownersmanual.htm

Here is the owner manual. Most of it applies to your guitar.
Kevin Bollivar

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2012 6:27 pm    

Thanks so much Mike,this will come in very handy.Hats off to all you fine folks at Mullen Steel Guitars Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy