| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alabama Steel Guitar Association
Bill Cook

Montgomery, Alabama, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 6:38 am    

I am seeking to see if there is enough interest to form an Alabama Steel Guitar Association. The mission of the Association will be to bring steel guitar enthusiasts together for the purposes of interaction, promotion, and recognition of the steel guitar's integral contributions to Alabama's music development past, present and future. We will not be in competition with any other Association or local clubs. It will be a state-wide fellowship. If you are interested please let me know:
Bill Cook
bill.cook@psc.alabama.gov
3951 Johnstown Dr
Montgomery, Al 36109
Work 334-242-2789
Home 334-271-2560
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 8:46 am    

Bill,
Can I join even though I'm from Georgia??? Let us know if the GaSGA can help in any way.
Roger Crawford
President, Georgia Steel Guitar Assoc.
www.georgiasteelguitar.com

[This message was edited by Roger Crawford on 28 October 2005 at 09:47 AM.]

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 9:07 am    

Bill and Roger: i actually live in georgia now but i am originally from LA (lower alabama)(on the georgia side of lake eufaula) but have been thinking of joining the georgia club, but might want to join both if not too far to drive, email details and a number and i will call both....thanks jack goodson
Bill Cook

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 9:54 am    

ROGER,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, yes, yes yall can join. Yall let us join your Association and we would love to have you in ours. Donna is in the process of sending me some templates to help us get this thing going. Appreciate all help/advise you can send.Will stay in touch and will worry yall to death until we are up and going. Thanks again,
Bill

Jack,
Thanks for your reply. You definitely need to join the GASGA. I am a charter member and they are the best people you could ever meet. They also do a Jam-Up job of running a Steel Guitar Association. Their Jam's are probaly ranked in the best in the nation. Would love for you to join us also. We will begin slow but with advise from the GASGA we will do every thing right. My e-mail address is bill.cook@psc.alabama.gov. My home # is 334-271-2560 Work 334-242-2789.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 12:10 pm    

I might be interested in joining the Alabama club. I'm in the process of getting ready to start playing steel shows in the Mississippi/Louisiana/Texas & Alabama areas.
Wade Medlock

Avondale Estates, GA USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2005 11:07 am    

Bill,
You've got a lot of great talent in the great state of Alabama.
All those pickers should be very appreciative of the work you are doing.
You've been a great help at our events and we thank you for it.
Wade
Bill Cook

Post  Posted 31 Oct 2005 12:38 pm    

Billy,
We will be Proud to have you. From the responses we are getting it appears we are gonna be The Proud and The Few. That's OK. It's gonna be run right and we will get much out of it. Got a lot of interest from the people at the Jugtown Jam. The're going to help a lot.
Wade,
Thanks for the kind words. I will be leaning heavily on GaSGA for guidance/advice. We will be all right. Besides, can't just anyone be in THE ALABAMA GANG. Thanks again for your support.
Bill
Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2005 1:52 pm    

I would like to join. I think it's about time we have a ASGA. I would be proud to be in the Alabama Gang.

D-10 Fessenden, Nashville 112, Session 500
Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2005 2:38 pm    

Hi Bill...great to meet you for a few minutes Sunday at the jam with Randy Beavers, John Hughey and Russ and Laney Hicks. I have a very full travelling schedule etc, but If I can help you, I will do my best to support the new Alabama Steel Guitar Association...GO FOR IT BILL!!
Bill Cook

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2005 5:52 am    

Tyler,
Thanks, We will love to have you with us and be an official member of "THE ALABAMA GANG".
Bill,
Was an extreme pleasure meeting you also. Thanks very much for the encouragement and support. We will definitely need your advise/ideas from your working with Albert Talley out in Texas with the TSGA. I will stay in touch. Have something in mind for you now. Thanks again,
Bill
Gary Moore

Mobile, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2005 6:19 am    

GO FOR IT BILL AM FOR IT SGAA
Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2005 11:10 am    

Hey Bill,

Glad to see your post. After our emails and all, I'm glad to see you making it public. I know your biggest concern was that it might be seen as in competition with local clubs. I really hope that there is some strong interest from all over the state and elsewhere. There are alot of gifted players around the state. But, as Bill Simmons has found out, the music scene is very lack-luster. Something like this could really contribute to alot of individuals, and hopefully the state. You know I'm behind you and will support this in any way that I can. Please let me know how I can help.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2005 5:57 pm    

Sunday afternoon or Friday night steel shows sound ok. I know that would make it possible for several of us over in Ms. to make it and not have to worry about getting to our Saturday night gig on time. Thanks.
Bill Cook

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2005 7:19 am    

Gary, Tim,
Thanks guys. We gonna make it happen. Tim, we will talk more in dept later. Thanks all,
Bill
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2005 7:14 pm    

Bill count me in.
Sure love that Vegas I got from you.

ernie
Clyde Mumpower

Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2005 6:33 am    

Hi, Bill,
I lived in Montgomery Al. from 1976 until 1984 and loved living there it is a very nice place. My wife and I come to visit old friends still to this day. I also love the steel guitar and love playing it , I would sure try to make the meetings. But I'm not the talented of player as Roger and the Georgia gang. I get to here them at the Saluda convention. Clyde Mumpower

[This message was edited by Clyde Mumpower on 05 November 2005 at 06:37 AM.]

[This message was edited by Clyde Mumpower on 05 November 2005 at 05:09 PM.]

[This message was edited by Clyde Mumpower on 05 November 2005 at 05:11 PM.]

Doc Rickles

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2005 11:15 am    

Hi Bill,
The Jugtown show was great. It was my first show and I was just in a trance at the talent of Russ, Randy and John.I will support and be an active member in tHE ASGA.
Just learning and enjoying the greatest instrument in the world. Have received so much help from steelplayers here at the forum.Bless you all and continued progress.
DR R
Bill Cook

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2005 5:33 am    

Clyde & Dr. Rickles. WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!. Clyde, there are a whole lot of us not as Talented as Roger and The Georgia Gang. That does not mean we love and appreciate the instrument any less. We are glad to have you with us. We are going to have a lot of fun and fellowship with this association. We all are going to meet new people and have some new friends. We are recieving a lot of support from The Georgia Gang and feel many will join us also. Again, Welcome aboard.
Bill
Bill Cook

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2005 5:37 am    

Forgot to mention Mr. Cawby. Ernie you have been a member of THE ALABAMA GANG for quite a while. You have made numerous trips from Florida to jam with us. You are most appreciated and bring your bus load of friends when we have our first Jam.
Bill.
Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2005 6:15 am    

Bill, good luck with the forming of your new
Association. It sounds like you folks back there in Alabama are gearin up to have a lot of fun and good pickin. The best to all of you.

------------------
Fred Justice,
Fred's Music www.fredjusticemusic.com
Rains Steel Guitars

Jeff Sconyers

Coffee Springs, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2005 8:42 am    

I would love to be a part of the Club here in Alabama. I just turned in my notice today for quiting the band I am giging with. I can't paly to 3:30 in the morning and then get up and work all day on saturday. By then end of the night we are just playing Rock & Roll anyway. I also need some time to complete my material I have from spending three days with Doug Jernigan. Being a part of something (being around other players) like this would help me be a better player. Please let me know what the status is and if I can help in any way. Jeff Sconyers 334-684-2022 (daytime) 334-393-0719 (evening).
Email: sconyersins@centurytel.net

[This message was edited by Jeff Sconyers on 07 November 2005 at 11:37 AM.]

Lana Rosselli

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 7:28 pm    

Hey Alabama Gang - I'd be happy to promote this adventure on SteelRadio and maybe work out something to broadcast your show. Keep me posted, I'll help however I can.

Good luck!

Miss Lana
Steelinbyrequest@charter.net
Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 5:25 am    

Where will it be? Montgomery?

------------------
Frank Estes
1978 Emmons D-10 8+7 #2441D
1968 Emmons D-10 8+4 #1234D

Bill Cook

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 7:07 am    

Jeff,
Thanks for your interest and support. We are moving along. Hope to have an agenda and conference call soon. Meeting other pickers is what this thing is all about. We are also going to look at a Mentor program to help along new players. I have captured your data and welcome aboard.
Bill.
Laney Hicks

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 7:23 am    

Bill,
Finally, I'm able to get on here and say my most sincere "thanks" for that amazing reception you,especially, and my dear "Alabama Gang" extended to me in Gardendale. Whoever said "you can't go back home" didn't come from Alabama! You surprised me completely with my authentic State Senate Resolution (man, do you have connections!)and I really do appreciate the trouble you went to having it framed so nicely. I have a special area at home for "treasures", and it serves an even "sweeter" purpose as Russ will have to look at it every single day and be reminded that I am indeed an Alabama girl, (ROLL TIDE!)and that even though he is loved and appreciated for his talents there, he is well advised to tread carefully when giving me too much trouble in "my neck of the woods".
I love that you're starting a club, and I am most privileged to serve as honorary First Lady. Alabama has "born" many great artists and musicians; as word spreads about your organization, I have no doubt that this club membership will quickly multiply.
All the best, and thanks again for everything. Russ, Randy, and John agreed after the show in Gardendale that it had certainly been one of the best for each of them; great interaction and response, great rhythm section,nice folks and just a really good time playing! Well, that's just how it's done in Alabama, right Bill?
God bless you!
Laney