| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Steel Guitar Performaces on Kauai in January?
Kirk Nelson

San Diego, California
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2011 10:31 am    

My wife and I will be staying in Hanalei from January 17-24. We would love to see some Hawaiian music while we are on the island.

I haven't been able to find much with internet searches.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2011 1:21 pm    

Alas, I won't be on Kauai, but there's a ton of steel music going on on Oahu in January - performances, jams, lessons, ono grinz, etc.. I'll be there from 1/19-30. IMHO, Oahu is worth a stop for a day or two either coming or going from the other islands. I understand that this could be hard, what with direct flights from the Mainland to Hawaii. I'll check with (or you could check with) Alan Akaka. He goes over to Kauai for lessons and workshops a couple of Saturdays each month. - Jack
seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2011 3:53 pm    

There is a slack key show up near Hanalei - on Sundays. There's a small admission charge. It can be good and sometimes steel is part of it. Else, it's hard to find anything more than a single singer act at most places. Cindy Combs plays in Hanapepe sometimes - great slack key. They have a single act at some of the bigger joints (Marriott), but no steel. The Lost Pelican Band has steel if you can find where they are playing. Good luck!
www.rhythmcatsshow.com
www.seldomfed.com
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 6:31 pm    

Thanks, Chris. It's always good to hear from you. My sentiments about Kauai music are the same - good slack key, very little steel, if at all.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 10:10 pm    

When you fly into Kauai, check at the Lihue Airport for Eddie Palmeira's trio playing. He has played steel guitar professionally over 40 years at some of the top spots in Kauai.

As you are traveling from Lihue to Hanalei there is the Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach which has in the past had a luau with steel guitar. The address is 650 Aleka Loop, Kapaa, Kauai, HI 96746. Luau’s are on the pricey side. Sometimes you can look on from one of the lounges and still have a good view and hear the music. But it will be a different menu.

From Hanalei driving around to the other end of Kauai toward the western side is the town of Waimea. At the Waimea Brewing Company Pub, Ed Punua plays with the Kama’aina Band on Thursday 7-9:30 p.m The Waimea Brewing Company address is - 9400 Kaumualii Hwy Waimea, HI 96796 (808) 338-9733

This information is current and would be a nice drive from Hanalei to Waimea. You could plan a trip to Waimea Canyon and the Kalalau lookout at the same time. These two sites are musts.

John's suggestion is good. Fly to Oahu if you have to in order to enjoy some good Hawaiian steel. There are flights every 30 minutes between Oahu and Kauai and it is less than 30 minutes each way.

Bon voyage

Aloha, Smile
Don
Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 7:52 am    

Is Ken Emerson still playing at Hanalei? If he is,- it's worth the drive up there. You can also view the site of some old movies that were filmed there.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 9:01 am    

Wally, last I heard Ken doesn't even live primarily in the islands any more http://www.myspace.com/kenemersonguitarist

And catching Eddie at the airport is iffy at best, it's a very part-time gig.

There is a major lack of steel in Hawaii, even on Oahu www.hwnsge.5u.com
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 9:16 am    

I think Ken's been done there for quite a few years already. I went there last in '04 and he was already gone.

San Diego, California
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2012 2:46 pm     Thanks for all of the replies!

Thanks for all of the replies!
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2012 3:20 pm    

Ken's brother Phil lives up here in the Seattle area. I correspond with him frequently via Facebook. It seems that Ken is on the road and on the move a lot, according to Phil's posts. - Jack
Les Cook

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2012 1:05 pm    

Ken's been living near Fairfield, California for a few years now. We have a cd of new recordings in the works by Ken with Robert Armstrong ...should be out in a few months on Grass Skirt Records
Martin Curnan

Lihue, Kauai
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2012 9:53 am     my mistake

auwe....sorry posted a reply under a new topic:steel on Kauai
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2012 10:31 pm    

Besides Martin Curnan, Jess Montgomery, a local steel guitarist and entertainer may be able to help you. Jess was working as a cook at the Bull Shed Restaurant, 796 Kuhio Highway, in Kapaa, Kauai, the last I heard. He lived also in Kapaa and did a couple of gigs a week. I used to have a contact number for him, but that is gone. I looked on the internet and this is Jess' listed number 808-823-9274.

This restaurant is a good eating place also. It is on the way to Hanalei from Lihue.

Jess has some recorded music some of which he has written and composed. http://www.myspace.com/jessmontgomerypuaaoli/music/songs/kauai-will-steal-your-heart-4805273

If you see Jess, tell him aloha from Don Woods.

Kirk, make sure you take notes and pictures for a report to the Forum when you return.

Aloha, Smile
Don