| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Open E Tuning
Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 2:38 pm    

LOOKING FOR INFO ON USING OPEN E TUNING??ALL HELP MUCH APPRECIATED..THIS WILL BE FOR A LAP 6 STRING ..CARL Smile
I have a Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic. Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider, and an Allan tailpiece .Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD, using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal, set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it. Recently got a Sho-NUFF 6 string pedal steel in open G.Still learning.
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 4:50 pm    

Well....here's a start. Just capo up 2 frets for Open E.

http://www.lessonswithtroy.com/dobro_lessons/All-About-Open-D-Tuning-for-Dobro.html

Of course, you can easily take slide guitar material and convert it to lap steel too.

Georgeboards has the Steel Guitar Rag in Open E also.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 6:28 pm    

Carl, I spent the first years of learning steel playing in E tuning and a variation. I know that thing inside out and still use. What do you want to know?

Indianapolis
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 7:03 pm    

Mike Neer wrote:
Carl, I spent the first years of learning steel playing in E tuning and a variation. I know that thing inside out and still use. What do you want to know?

Mike with your knowledge and ability I bet you could show all of us some nifty open E stuff.

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 8:16 pm     Just a tho't.................

You might keep your eyes open on eBay for any of the old Oahu sheet music auctions they have on there. A lot of that was in open E tuning and could help get you a fast start.
Josh Cho

New York, NY (orig. Honolulu, HI)
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 6:35 am     Re: Open E Tuning

Carl McLaughlin wrote:
LOOKING FOR INFO ON USING OPEN E TUNING??ALL HELP MUCH APPRECIATED..THIS WILL BE FOR A LAP 6 STRING ..CARL Smile

Carl,

Due to many requests for this type of info, I've put out a basic primer on this tuning last year. It's got some basic patterns, licks, TAB and explanation.

You can find that lesson here:

http://www.steel-guitar-mojo.com/open-e-tuning.html

Hope this helps.

Josh

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 8:54 am     E tuning

Thanks to everyone for all your info and support..HAPPY NEW YEAR, GOOD PICKING, CHEERS CARL
I have a Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic. Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider, and an Allan tailpiece .Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD, using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal, set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it. Recently got a Sho-NUFF 6 string pedal steel in open G.Still learning.
Jay Seibert

Woodland, WA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 9:21 am     Oepn E or D favored over Reso G tuning?

Please forgive my question if it is too silly but...
Just wondering... as a 15 month newbie to C6 lap steel, I have just picked up a reso and am having fun with its GBDGBD tuning. I notice that open D tuning does not have the same note spacings... can someone tell me what advantages are presented the player with DADF#AD tuning or an open E tuning as discussed in this string of posts?

Thanks!
Josh Cho

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2011 4:31 am     Re: Oepn E or D favored over Reso G tuning?

Jay Seibert wrote:
Just wondering... as a 15 month newbie to C6 lap steel, I have just picked up a reso and am having fun with its GBDGBD tuning. I notice that open D tuning does not have the same note spacings... can someone tell me what advantages are presented the player with DADF#AD tuning or an open E tuning as discussed in this string of posts?

Thanks!

Hi Jay,

As much as I love silly questions, yours is definitely not of that sort....

Here are some Open E benefits and possilibities as bullet points:

Smile New tonal center (E major Vs. G Major)
Smile Closer to Standard 6 string guitar, familiarity with chord positions
Smile Get even closer to Standard 6 string guitar by dropping the G# to G (E minor tuning)
Smile Get nice beefy Power Chords! Nice if you wanna use distortion--Yeah, Head Bang on the steel!

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2011 6:28 am    

I have been a guitar player for 30 years so I like E tunings.

I don't have room in my hear for two totally different fretboard maps.

E will also be cool for my Dusenberg when it shows up since E tunings include the G# and B open strings like an E9 pedal steel. Which hapen to be the notes the A dn B pedals work.

A really good set of DvDs for open E tuning for guitar are the series by John Tuggle. He gets really in dept with the Duane Allman type stuff. Not lap steel but alot of whats there can translate over I find.

What I am doing at the moment is going back over the Jeff Newman A&B pedal DvD. It looks like all of that stuff will work just fine with an E or E7 tuning and the palm pedals.
Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2012 10:10 am     E Tuning

Thanks Josh,do you have a complete course for E tuning?? Carl
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2012 10:44 pm    

Hi, Carl, I am right in the middle of working on a course for 6 string E lap steel. I'll let you know when I get it finished!
Kevin Shiflett

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2012 5:57 am    

I'm looking forward to that E tuning course. Tons of C6 material out there but not so much for us who like E and its variations.
Gary Reed

Post  Posted 15 Jan 2012 6:18 am    

Mark van Allen wrote:
Hi, Carl, I am right in the middle of working on a course for 6 string E lap steel. I'll let you know when I get it finished!

Mark,
What type of music will your lesson be directed toward?
Please post at this thread when finished so all of us get the opportunity.
Thanks
Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 15 Jan 2012 10:21 am     E tuning

Hey Mark, Looking forward to seeing a sample of your course..Carl
Josh Cho

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2012 4:12 am     Re: E Tuning

Carl McLaughlin wrote:
Thanks Josh,do you have a complete course for E tuning?? Carl

Hey Carl,

Yeah, I've been compiling my Open E course for a couple years now, and hope to have it completed soon.

But just so you know, you and everyone else are able to take advantage of the course as it's being written. Cool

The intro lesson - http://www.steel-guitar-mojo.com/open-e-tuning.html - starts off the series, and will continue from there.

Be sure to sign up for my newsletter STEEL MOJO NEWS to get updates about my Open E Lessons Series.

Thanks again for your interest!

Best wishes,

Josh

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2012 9:12 am     Re: Oepn E or D favored over Reso G tuning?

Jay Seibert wrote:

Thanks!

Jay, I played Dobro years ago with the G-B-D-G-B-D tuning, and when I bought a six-string Melobar Skreemer last year, tuned it to the "E" equivalent since I thought it would be an easy transition. Recently I switched to the E-B-E-G#-B-E tuning for my Melobar, and immediately, and I mean instantaneously, everything became more intuitive and melodic. I realize that the notes are all there on either tuning, BUT, but the change in string arrangement and intervals really made more sense to me, and I have been playing things I always wanted to play without even thinking about it.

So, although you specifically asked about the D, I am relating this because the intervals are the same, so it is still applicable, just a couple of frets apart. Naturally, everyone has their own preferences, and this is just my experience. But I am loving the EBEG#BE.
Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2012 11:20 am    

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL853DDFA829801C2A&feature=plcp
Hey Carl, I was tuned to Open E when the clips at this show were shot. About 3 or 4 of videos, I am play Lap Steel if you want to see and hear some things that can be done with open E. I think one of the songs was in the Key of A, so my home base was at the 5th fret and the 5 being the open strings.
Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2012 4:05 pm     E tuning

Thanks Terry,great music ,I have my Dobro tuned to open E at present and have been noodlin around with it.I have a Pettingill 6 str lap w/ benders on order set up for open E.I may go back to C6 or a variation of that ,trial and error mostly errors,LOL ,but havin fun..
Carl Very Happy
Josh Cho

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2012 4:52 pm     Open E Course for electrics and resonators

Hey all just a quick announcement,

My Open E Course is being compiled and presented on this page at Steel Guitar Mojo:

http://www.steel-guitar-mojo.com/open-e-course.html

As the course is being built, many of the pages will find there way to the Index. Hope you get something out of it!

Best wishes,

Josh

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2012 6:24 pm     E tuning

Hey Josh i have been studying your free lessons,thanks again for all your support..Carl Very Happy