| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTB - P/P Tuners (2L and 2R)
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 12:46 pm    

Recently bought a '73 fatback from George King, seems like this is going to be a great guitar so far.. however, UPS did a number on the 5th and 6th string tuners on both necks. One broken, and 3 bent pretty badly.

I need to find matching replacements if possible, including the bent ones as they seem to have a lot of slack now, at least more than the other non-affected tuners. I managed to get a pic of one of the tuners (round head, Kluson Deluxe). I don't know whether this would be called a right or left, but I need two of these (5th strings) and two of the other (6th strings) if somebody has some?

Thanks in advance if somebody can point me to a source.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 1:38 pm    

Bill,

I own a number of pushpulls and have had to replace tuners on some of them. I used to want only original Klusons as replacements but they are very expensive and, most importantly, are worn or loose. Now I get Gotoh replacement tuners from Stewart-McDonald. They are exact replacements except for the lack of the words on the housing. Best of all, they have a higher gear ratio than the originals.

A warning though. Do not buy NEW Kluson keys. They won't fit. Gotohs do fit and look identical.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 2:06 pm    

Thanks Eric. Looks like that would be part number 0933? I was looking at the Klusons, glad you tipped me off on the non-fitting issue. They sure look like they would.
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 3:19 pm    

Kluson is just a trade name for keys made in? Gotoh's are made in Japan and are high quality keys. When I replaced the keys on my PP, I did notice that the knob shaft is a bit taller than the originals....you might want to replace all of them at once. Other than that, they work great.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 7:21 pm    

Bill, I have a good number of original Klusons off of push pull guitars. I can pick out the best ones and they should be as good as the rest of the keys on the guitar.
Jerry
Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 7:56 am     Kluson

Bill, I use new Klusons on my repairs. I have had no problem on the Emmons P/P's. The screw hole has to be enlarged a bit though. I can get them if you can't find them on the forum. They come in sets of 6, 3 bass side and 3 treble side. Screws included.

Doug Palmer
336-674-8200

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 8:08 am    

I stock brand new "All Parts" keys which are copies of the old original Kluson but like Doug stated the mounting screw holes have to be drilled out slightly to allow them to attach to the Emmons keyhead. My old Kluson keys are the exact key. I obtained them from Dick Miller of Bethel Guitars who from time to time replaced whole sets of keys on guitars that had some keys worn out. So, he had bad keys and good keys. I discard the bad ones and keep the good ones.
Jerry
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 9:09 am    

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. I've talked to George and he thinks he may have a few old ones as well, so I may investigate that avenue first.

I'm sort of on the fence about just replacing all of them with Gotohs or Klusons, or just trying to find a few originals to replace the worst ones. I've found a couple of other non-affected tuners that are also sorta loose.

I'm gonna visit my pal Steve at Austin Vintage and see if he might have one I can get by with in his junk drawer, as I'm hot to get this guitar out tomorrow night at the gig. I've been out of the P/P business for a few years, and it's going to be fun to own one again.

Also, while I'm on the subject, George was great to do a transaction with, and he did a good job packing the guitar. It was just one of those things that happens. I believe UPS must have really dropped this guitar hard at some point in the trip. I'm just glad it didn't bust something up that would have been much harder to repair.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2011 2:29 pm    

Nice lookin' push-pull. Personally, I like the wide pedals such as your steel has versus the narrow pedals.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2011 3:24 pm    

Yeah, I like the wider pedals too, and that was a 'must have' when I started looking again. I had a '67 that I sold to a forum member about 7 or 8 years ago, and have regretted it many times since.

Today, I found a cheap Kluson with a plastic knob in the junk box at Austin Vintage to temporarily replace the B string tuner, the bent ones I was able to mostly straighten without breaking. Re-string done, sounds great, headed for Twin Sisters Dance Hall in Blanco for NYE.. can't wait!