| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Robert Allen's guitars and 'best of class' service
Stephen Calhoun

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2011 12:55 pm    

Hat tip to Bob Allen, aka the man and mind behind Allen Melbert Steel Guitars.

One of the cats knocked over the Melbert 6 and gravely damaged a knob. Bob responded to my query instantly and soon enough with a pair of knobs.

Then, I subjected him to some silly speculative problem solving on my part vis a vis the attachment screws. Patiently he directed me to the solution: to dig up the smallest wrench in an Allen set. It worked.

The Melbert lap steel guitar line is, as I see it, too much a secret. American made; simple and yet full of tone.

I bet Bob will build around a custom pick-up choice too.

Solid Bang for buck.

And, literally years after I picked up a second from eBay directly from him, he came through, offering replacement knobs and reminding me of his great mission and vision. Great guy and builder.
two 1970-ish Fender 400, Fouke Industrial Rail, Allen Melbert 6, Rondo SX -- everything one way or the other through Guitar Rig/Logic/Apple/synthesizers/iPAD. ...sometimes out to a Tech 21 Trademark 60 1x12
recording as Kamelmauz.bandcamp.com
Thomas Temple

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2011 1:47 pm     Complete agreement

I could not agree more, After getting involved with a cheap Chinese disaster I had Bob build me a Pro 6 (C6th tuning) which came out so well that I am having him build me another one (E tuning). I know that there are many more people here on the forum who sing his praises, but as you said "American Made" and a great guy to deal with...
Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2011 5:58 pm    

+1 from me,good guy,great service,nice steels!
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2011 11:41 pm    

Agreed! Here's a link to his Music on the Mountain website:

http://www.musonmt.com/index.html

Steve Ahola

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Brian Hunter

Indianapolis
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2011 2:17 am    

My ambrosia 8 should be done here in a week or so. YAY!!

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2011 5:08 pm    

CAN I GET IN ON THIS TAG, A GREAT FELLOW TO DO BUSINESS WITH AND A GREAT INSTERMENT TO PLAY. UNLESS I TAKE IT OUT TO PLAY SOME WHERE, IT IS ALWAYS SET UP SO I CAN SET DOWN ANY TIME TO PLAY IT. THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES WHEN I WALK BY MY MELBER 8 ON THE WAY TO DO SOMETHING ELSE AND JUST SET DOWN AND PLAY A CORD OR TWO JUST TO HEAR IT'S TONE, AM I SICK OR SOMETHING? BY THE WAY YOU ARE RIGHT IT IS THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE LAP STEEL GUITAR BUSINESS. HOW SAD. IF THERE WAS A BOB ALLEN'S MELBERT LAP STEEL CLUB I'D JOIN. BOB YOU MAKE A GREAT INSTERMENT.

WAYNE D. CLARK
usnyn2nd@frontier.com
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2011 5:33 pm    

+1 for Bob and his work....and his steels fit perfectly in an airplane luggage compartment.....I'm traveling now, can't bring the pedal, but the Melbert goes everywhere with me...
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2011 10:06 pm    

In comparing my Melbert 8 to my GeorgeBoards Stealth, I'd have say that Bob's is more like a real workhorse while George's is more like a fine thoroughbred. If you are wondering which one I am playing day in and day out "down on the ranch", it's the Melbert. I'm glad that I am fortunate enough to own both of them.

Steve Ahola

Byron Leonard

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2011 1:40 am    

I have a Cypress Pro-8 finishing up anytime now. This is my first Melbert, but after reading everyone's opinion on his work I have no doubt it is a fine instrument.
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2011 4:45 am    

Steve-
I sort of concur with your comparison, but I can't figure out why.....the Melbert is the equal of other "fancier" guitars, just not as racy looking.....I have the Melbert and a Melobar CC-8 Cindy Cashdollar model.....Cindy has certainly sexier curves, butthe Melbert is pretty classy and beautifully made, and they just sound different, neither is better or worse in feel or tone...(Lawrence 705 on the Melbert, Cashdollar Stringmaster-based pickup on the Melobar)...

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2011 6:42 am    

When I see the pics, I just wish he would do something to make the body design a little more attractive. I'm sure they are good quality instruments, but they do lack a little in appeal.

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2011 9:55 am     Yeah but

I can not argue that there are more attractive (visually) guitars out there than the Melberts, but in my eyes beauty is as beauty does and any my Melbert just "sings" beautiful.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2011 12:02 pm    

I didn't see any prices listed on the Melbert website (unless I overlooked them)......is it presumtuous to ask what the cost is on his basic models?......
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2011 12:21 pm    

HowardR wrote:
I didn't see any prices listed on the Melbert website (unless I overlooked them)......is it presumtuous to ask what the cost is on his basic models?......

The prices are at the bottom of the pages for the Melbert 6 and 8.

"The 8 string model is $469 plus $24 shipping to USA. Tennessee residents add 9.5% sales tax. The 6 string model is $100 less. Order a 6 or 8 string lap steel using any of our stock wood bodies and take $50 off list price."

Steve Ahola

EDIT I see that Thomas Temple was composing his post as I was writing this one. I agree with what he has to say. The Melberts need to be compared to the high quality American handmade lap steels which usually sell for a lot more than Bob's. Comparing them to the mass-produced steels from China (like the Rondos and Rogues) is like comparing apples and oranges. To address Mike's post the body shapes are very rustic; they are the work of a master craftsman rather than a skilled luthier, as has often been the case in the hills and mountains of Tennessee for many many years. You can pay a lot more and get a lot less.

Last edited by Steve Ahola on 24 Dec 2011 2:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Thomas Temple

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2011 12:24 pm     Prices

Howard, If you click on the pro models it shows a price of $369 plus $24 for shipping for the 6 string and $100 more for the 8 string. However he sometimes has "blems" and offers a discount even though he gives the same guarantee on them as the "perfect" models. Price also includes a nice carrying case, a amp cord and other accessories. May sound a bit steep versus a Rogue or Lap King, but it is a hand built (USA) custom with your choice of wood, finish, pickup, and tuners. I am not related to him, don't get any commission but can honestly say he is great to deal with and does in fact deliver a great guitar that you'll enjoy for the rest of your life. If there is one draw back it is that he has a steady stream of orders and it does take awhile, 10-12 weeks or so. But well worth the wait IMHO Very Happy
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2011 7:43 pm    

People who own Melberts certainly seem to be happy with them.....there are the inexpensive Asian imports (never played any of them) and some very fine high end builders out there.....what I haven't seen a lot of are the very good/excellent quality, moderately priced hand made in the U.S.A. guitars.....

Melobar was one of those companies.....and I think that Melbert fills a great need where Melobar left off by providing a guitar under $400 built right here where you can speak to a human being and get personal service....at least that's what I'm seeing....