| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is a good volume pedal for a beginner?
Jon Gallant

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2011 6:31 am    

I'm looking for something less than $100. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Joe Hensley

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2011 7:13 am    

I started with a Dunlop High Gain volume pedal...which can usually be found around $50 or you can track down a used Goodrich on the boards here for around $100.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2011 7:34 am    

Either a used Goodrich 120 volume pedal like this - http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=216577

or an old Sho Bud volume pedal like this - http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=176081

These turn up on the forum frequently in the $100 range - typically $80-120 and condition matters. I'd go for a real clean one with a good potentiometer, it ain't a lot of money. I think either of them are real good passive pedals, but I probably prefer my Sho Buds by a hair. I wouldn't cheap out on a cheap pedal.

I used an old Ernie Ball VP (with the side-jacks - new ones have jacks in the front, fergitaboutit) when I first started, since that's what I used for guitar for a long time. They can be OK, but the pot resistance is only 250K, which cuts the high end a bit more than I prefer on steel. The standard for most pedal steel players who use a passive pedal is about 500K. Both the Goodrich 120 and Sho Bud pedals come standard with 500K.
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2011 10:43 am    

If you get a passive pot pedal, you could consider doing the tone bypass cap mod to let the highs through when you are not at full volume (otherwise you lose highs). Or just put a buffered pedal - like a tuner - between your steel and the pedal, so the steel doesn't see another passive pot as the first thing....