| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bee Spears
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2011 2:25 pm    

Wow, I just found out from Mike Cass that Bee Spears, bassist for Willie for over 40 years, passed away. Apparently he fell and hit his head, was unconscious, and died of exposure in the 28-degree Nashville weather.

Man, this stuff about old friends of mine dying is getting to be really, really tiresome. I'm worn out by all this bad sh!t happening.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2011 2:54 pm    

Now that is some serious bad news...loved Bee...
Dale Hansen

Hendersonville,Tennessee, (USA)
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2011 3:04 pm    

Holy Cow!...I'm really sorry to hear of this.

Many years ago, I met Bee, who happened to be a very close neighbor of Al Perkins, over in in Leipers Fork.
I was doing some carpentry work on Al's house, at the time.
I just recently saw Al, about a month ago, at a "Stand with Gibson" rally. I remember asking Al about Bee, too. At the time, he was doing fine.
This is truly weird. And, a tremendous loss.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2011 6:00 pm    

Aw man that is sad news.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2011 6:20 pm    

This is a tradgedy. How can things like this happen? May GOD be with Bee's family and help them thru this sad occassion. Jody.
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2011 8:26 pm    

Im so sad to hear about this terrible accident. I was driving home this evening when I heard the news over WSM radio. It was very chilly here last night and it saddens me that Bee had to leave us, especially in such a fashion as reported on the news. Bee was alot of fun to hang with on "The Breed" tours back in '07 and of course the 4th of July Picnics, and most folks dont know that he also played bass for Ray Price before joining Willie....got that straight from him. Google: "Bee Spears" for particulars and a very nice article with some quotes from Bee about playing with Willie.
My sincere sympathy to his friends, family, and band mates. My prayers for their peace and grace.
RIP my friend.

MC
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2011 5:08 am    

Sad news. I meet Bee once in the early 80's when he, Jody and a bunch of guys from Willie's crew came into a club we were playing in NYC. Really nice guy, full of life.
Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2011 8:33 am    

Geeze... I hate to hear this. We saw Bee this past summer out in Montana. My bandmates and I were commenting on how he and the drummer communicated during a song. Even after playing with Willie for so long... they would lock eyes and nothing else mattered until the song was over. Ultimate professionals and very inspiring to watch... so sad. Sad

My sincere condolences to friends an family.

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2011 7:06 pm    

Bee Spears obituary Nashville Tennessean:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tennessean/obituary.aspx?n=dan-spears-bee&pid=154970240&fhid=5461
Buddy Jennison

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2011 11:47 pm     Bee

Met Bee many years ago. Success with Willie NEVER changed him an ounce, like others did. Just saw him on PoP! Goes the country, Friday night. Everey body's favorite steel guitar picker, Jimmy Day, was on it too. In full bloom, if I must say. Willy was the star of course but Jimmy got a lot of camera time, and hit some of those fine Jimmy Day licks,you never forget. "Little" Buddy.

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2011 6:01 am    

this is so sad!So many crazy stories I could tell...but I won't,He was one of a kind and a truly "good dude"RIP my friend!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.