| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does anybody Practice pedal steel with a Lap steel?
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 5:51 pm    

I was pondering the idea of Using a ten string lap steel to practice runs and familiarizing myself with the fretboard. Does anyone have experience in doing this? If not, what practicing techniques do you find helpful. I cannot seem to get into the habit of practicing enough, due to not knowing what to practice. So far its been chords (maj and minor) but single note runs prove difficult for me. I can't find that sort of "box" like i have with a 6 string guitar.
Thanks for the help guys, I sure do love the forum.

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 6:04 pm    

I often practice with a lap steel or a practice board. Its a great way to get a better understanding of the neck.

This is a common way of looking at scale pockets on the steel:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1584873&sid=15e81eaeff63ef4eee026715fe2e809b

I would check with Joe Wright about singe note scales. He has helped me immeasurably.
http://pedalsteel.com/ashop/index.php

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 6:11 pm    

Just found this on youtube

http://youtu.be/wBv7mXBfN-U

It is the key to everything.

Joe is a freakin genius !

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 6:20 pm    

When I am traveling I often practice with the body of my S10 sitting in my lap, this has been very good for right hand picking and blocking technique but for scales you pretty much need the pedals and levers.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 6:39 pm    

I have a 10-string C6th practice board tuned the same as the back neck of a D10. I use it to practice runs & non-pedal licks. It's great because it's relatively portable. I find that I do most of my single string work on C6th without pedals. It's all bar movement and good technique (which I sorely lack).
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 6:42 pm    

I have a 6 string lap steel tuned b e g# b e G# This is strings 3 4 5 6 8 10 on e9th. When I cant take my rig I use this with a mini amp and am amazed how much pedal steel you can do on a lap steel.

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 11:11 pm    

I have two Alkire Eharps. One B6 and one E9. Great for practice on the road.... in front of the TV, etc. I think that it is a fantastic way to really understand what's going on with the tunings..... you really have to think when you don't have the hardware.
Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2011 5:14 am    

I actually bought my 8-string lap and some instruction courses so I could get better acquainted with the C6th neck. It's on a stand next to my sofa and I have a small amp tucked into my entertainment center.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2011 6:42 am    

Movement up and down the strings is so important to making a musical sound, and a lot of instruction is geared towards what you can do with the least amount of bar movement. One good exercise is just playing melodies - the ones you know, Christmas carols and nursery rhymes. Play them across the strings at different fret locations, and play them going up and down the strings, using as few strings as possible.

"Hark! The Herald Angels Sing"
"Deck the Halls"
"God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman"
"Frosty the Snowman"

Try to make it sound like music, like something somebody else would like to hear, not just an exercise. Most people (myself included) would rather hear someone playing music simply and well than hear someone playing exercises, no matter how convoluted.
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2011 1:06 pm    

I not only use it for practice....I take it to gigs where it just isn't worth dragging a pedal steel out (e.g., the recent big Farmer's Market gig in 38 degree weather).

I arrived at E13 as the tuning for my 8-string that gives me much of the pedal stuff....low-to-hi B D E G# B C# E G#

The C# gives you the A-pedal and minor chords, etc. in a very C6-like way. Then an easy close slant for A+B, and only a few slides needed for scale runs, harmonized scales easy to find, slant instead of pedal....etc.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2011 2:13 pm    

I do the reverse and practice lap steel with a pedal steel by engaging the lever that lowers the E's. Smile
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2011 2:37 pm    

Right on, Andy.
At the recent Kansas City steel guitar jam, on a couple songs the lap guys were tearing it up, so when my turn came, I slid my chair back so I couldn't hit the knees, and played non-pedal C6.
Same strings, but a whole 'nother way of thinking.
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2011 10:08 pm    

im glad this stirred up a bit. I thought about using my steel body as a lap steel to learn the fretboard. Thanks guys

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 4:22 am     Practicing

Jeff,
some years ago, Paul Franklin told me that his Dad built him a single neck or a double; not sure about that. But anyway, he didn't have any pedals or legs, but he used it while traveling on the bus to practice with. This was about 20+ years ago.
Maybe Paul might jump in this conversation and make a comment about this straight from the horse's mouth.
My senior moments don't let me remember everything about the conversation............
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 11:32 am    

what might a practice board be? Just another name for a lap steel? Thanks?

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 12:12 pm    

Jeff, What i call a practice board is a pedalsteel neck and headstock without much of anything else. It gives you the exact same string spacing and scale length as a pedalsteel. You could put a pickup in it and use it as a lapsteel. I have one Gary Carpenter made for me and used to have one made by Mike Cass. I also have a 10 string Clinesmith lap steel made that has the same spacing and all as my pedalsteels. Comes in super handy.

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2011 11:57 am    

I've thought about a practice board too. Just a fretboard with strings and headstock. Maybe not even a full scale neck. There are occasions when I am away from my steel and would like to at least practice single note roles, finger dextarity and blocking exersises.