| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gene Schibel R.I.P.
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2011 4:38 pm    

My long time friend and steel mentor Gene Schibel passed away today after suffering a major stroke on Wednesday Nov.16.
Gene was a major influence on most all steel players in the N.J., Pa. area.
Genes wife, Fran, has been battling serious health problems for many years and needs as many prayers as we can send.
Thank you.
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2011 4:54 pm    

Gene was the benchmark for steel players in our area in the 60's & '70's. When I went to work with Tom Donahue in the 70's it was was inevitably Gene that people would compare me to even though two outstanding players, Russ Powell and Ben Lawson had already follwed Gene.
Gene was generous to a fault. One night he showed up at a club we were working with a brand new Cush Case. He gave it to me because he saw my old case was pretty beat. Wouldn't take a dime. Another time I mentioned to him I'd like to try out a Fender volume/tone pedal. Saw him about a month later with pedal in hand, again refusing to take any money.

Rest in peace, Bud.

Danny Newman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2011 11:14 am    

Ben, Really sorry to hear this. He will be missed by many. Danny Newman of the Sleepy Hollow Newmans
Wanda Cooper

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 10:28 am     Gene Schibel

Our hearts are so broken to hear this. Gene was just such a sweet guy. Very unassuming and easy going. And humble...Billy and I did not really know what a steel guitar presence he was in the industry. He was just a great friend who genuinely seemed to care about the answer when he called and asked, "How are you all doing down there?" We surely will miss this lovely gentleman. Our hearts and prayers go out to Frances and his family. Heaven is richer for your presence, my friend!
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 2:33 pm    

Wanda, Jack and Danny thank you for your responces. Gene was a real gentleman and friend to all. As Jack said, Gene was the guy we all wanted to be back in the '60's & '70's. Every time I thought I could pull one over on him he played something that I couldn't figure out. He was not a show off by any means but he had more on reserve than I'll ever know.
He was a loyal friend to us all and a loving husband to Fran. Fran has been been having health issues for many years and Gene was always there for her. I just pray that we can pull together and be of assistance to her if the need arises.
God Bless you all.
Ted Russell

The west coast of New Jersey.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 9:59 am    

Gene was definitely an inspiration to me when I was starting out in the '70's. I would frequently go see him at the clubs he played at in central Jersey back then. He always seemed extremely quiet to me and never really had much to say, even when I would go up to him to ask questions about playing. Maybe he was a little unnerved by the guy (me) off in the shadows staring at him as he played! In any case, he was a very talented player whom I greatly admired and an institution in these parts. I am very sorry he is gone, and hopeful of the support his wife may need in his absence.
Russell Powell

New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 3:19 pm    

Jack, Ben and company above have pretty much said it all. When I joined Tom Donahue the shadow of Gene was large. After playing with Tom a little while I went out to hear Gene play and found out what the fuss was about.His playing was smooth, and tasteful it was obvious to me then I had a long way to go...
I didn't see Gene often, but ran into him at a Jamboree a few years later and he couldn't have been nicer and more supportive. Made me feel like one of the club.
My thoughts are with his family
Rest in Peace