| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  SOLD LOCALLY - CLOSE Carpsteel
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 4:40 pm    

Rains Carpsteel Pro in dark blue. Three pedals, four knees, Emmons setup. $1,100, shipped to CONUS.

The Carpsteel (like the Stage One, and not much else) is a cut above all of the other “beginner” steels”....a number of pros use the Carpsteel as a "grab 'n go" steel for traveling and gigging. Guitar in case is 34 LBS, Guitar out of case is 22 LBS.

The Carpsteel was designed by Gary Carpenter of Rains, and has a similar design philosophy – it is very easy to adjust and change copedent on and has a professional changer with triple raise/triple lower (unlike some other steels at this level). Gary recently licensed the design to Legend to produce, they sell new for about $1,500, I believe (with stock pickup).

Jim Palenscar (www.steelguitars.me) made this one a really good one by his masterful tweaking. Cabinet drop measured only 4.5 cents. Jim also spent time tweaking the setup to make it much more playable.

Jim changed the pickup from stock to a Lace Alumitone pro-grade pickup, which is getting a lot of good reviews lately. In my opinion the stock pickup sounds harsh and thin. I consider the tone change huge, an improvement well worth the cost ($200).

Gary Carpenter playing a Carp Steel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RainsSteelGuitars#p/a

I am the second owner – it is less than a year old, and lightly played (first owner gave up on pedal steel, it sat in storage, I got it and used it only in the band practice space). Comes with case and leg bag.

It has one tiny chip in the paint (see photo). And some very fine surface scratches and a couple of bar dings that are normal from playing an instrument. They do not turn up in the photo.
--------------------------------
NOTE 1: Although the original owner's description says that this steel has been shortened, it is absolutely standard height - 26" legs, strings 29 1/2" from the floor. He was just wrong, I guess....
-------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE 2: I now will pay shipping to continental US

Copedent-standard Emmons A/B/C pedals. E's raise & lower on LKL and LKR. RKL raises 1 (F#>G#) and lowers 6 (G#>F#) RKR lowers 2 (D#>D). All this is easily changed. I think there are even some pull rods that I backed off and could be reactivated, I'll have to look at it when I'm back in the band practice space...

Last edited by Steve Lipsey on 3 Dec 2011 6:29 pm; edited 8 times in total
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 10:45 pm     This steel is STANDARD HEIGHT

Although Will's description says that this steel has been shortened, it is absolutely standard height - 26" legs, strings 29 1/2" from the floor
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2011 6:31 pm     Sold Locally - Please Close

I actually was quite surprised that local Craigslist was faster than the Forum! But I guess that is Portland for you...