| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cindy knocks me out!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2011 4:58 pm    

Rose Sinclair, of the Massachusetts band Girl Howdy, has been wintering here in Texas and today she and I went to Greune Hall to see Dallas Wayne, Joe Manuel, Cindy Cash-$, Kevin Smith and Tom Lewis play in "Flat Top Jones," their most recent band.

Cindy had obviously been eating her Wheaties today, because she totally knocked me out with her chops, her sense of melody, and simply the charismatic way she held herself whilst playing. Moving and grooving to the music, and expressing her playing not only with her excellent note choice but also with the movement of her hands, and the way she worked with Joe Manuel on lead guitar.

Cindy is an long-time friend of mine and so I'm biased, but no one can deny she is a formidable player who is deserving of anyone's stage. Y'all take heed.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2011 9:05 pm    

Herbster speaks the truth. Cindy is a good friend of mine as well and she totally rocks as a player and is a lovely lady in every sense of the word as well.
Gene Warner

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2011 9:22 pm    

Cindy is a rare breed of musician. I know that she already has a resume of accomplishments that most could only dream of. She has played with the best.

I had the good fortune to see her with another ultimate pro, Red Volkaert, at a small club in San Antonio, Texas.

The money could not have been very great for them, compared to other paydays that they have had. It would have been very easy for them to have delivered a "get the job done...ho hum" show.

They did anything but. They were having a ball up there, and really working off each other, in wonderful ways. It was a refreshing treat to say the least.

I have played non-pedal long enough to appreciate the skills she has, more than the average listener might.

What a lady, what a player.
Gene Warner
repairman
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2011 10:37 pm    

You're preaching to the choir Herb.....tell us something that we don't know..... Laughing
Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2011 10:39 pm    

I love how she crosses genre's (and her impeccable tone and timing). Check this video of her with Sonny Landreth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHyNky8Q9s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just tasty.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 3:53 am    

Cindy's as good or better than most steel players I've ever heard. Her playing transcends the instrument into the realm of timeless, great music. She's a lovely person and a superb musician. I'm proud to call her my friend. If any artist deserves an NEA or McArthur grant, it's Cindy.
John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 7:53 am    

Easily my favorite steel/dobro player on the planet. And a really neat person to boot!
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 7:58 am    

She is the shiznit.

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 8:29 am    

HowardR wrote:
You're preaching to the choir Herb.....tell us something that we don't know..... Laughing

Yes, Howard, I know. But her playing yesterday with that band called for another homage.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 9:24 am    

Cindy's sense of time, JOY and her remarkable comping skills are always inspirational. Never get tired of seeing/hearing Cindy play.

That she and Redd Volkaert both live and frequently work together in Central TX is enough reason to move and live here. Something I'm very thankful for.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 9:47 am    

Yes to all of the above and she's also easy on the eyes! Smile Cindy's an inspirational player for sure.
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 12:17 pm    

I love the sound she gets from the Fender STM.
Another female steel guitarist, Barbara Mandrell's steel guitar playing is really decent too.

...anyone know if Cindy also plays Hawaiian?
John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 3:26 pm    

That is a great question Rick! I would love to hear her do a Hawaiian tune!
NTSGA #3

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 3:30 pm    

Rick Collins wrote:
I love the sound she gets from the Fender STM.
Another female steel guitarist, Barbara Mandrell's steel guitar playing is really decent too.

...anyone know if Cindy also plays Hawaiian?

I can't say for certain, but she doesn't seem to have any element of Hawaiian in her playing to me. I think she 's a pure Western Swing player.

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 4:18 pm    

I learned about Cindy from the back of Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind album; I saw her name listed as one of the players and wondered if the name (Cindy Cashdollar??) was for real. I Googled the name and found Cindy. Now I am as smitten as anybody else. I've read some interviews and it seems she came to console steel from the playing Dobro.She calls non-pedal steel a "hobby that got out of hand." When she was hired to play in Asleep at the Wheel Ray Benson said he'd give her 6 months to "get up to speed" on the steel. I guess she did alright as she was with them for 8 years.

She is a great presence on the scene and she has really mastered the steel. It's great to see more videos of her coming out where she is really playing well and very freely. I love watching her play because she obviously loves playing so much and she expresses that while she plays.
Tim Victor

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 4:34 pm    

Yup, she's the real deal. And I really like her "Learn to Play Western Swing Steel Guitar" DVDs. I've learned lots from them (still way more to learn tho) and she comes across as being really sweet and down to earth.
John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2011 5:49 am    

Here is a clip of Cindy and her baritone Tri-Cone.

In typical C.C. fashion she shares tuning, string ga.'s, instrument info, and even a tip for an auto repair!

That baritone is clearly her "Bitch" LMAO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDQ-Z19zgzw&feature=related
NTSGA #3

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2011 6:44 am    

Re Cindy & Hawaiian: She has almost no Hawaiian elements to her playing and hardly ever uses any slants. She did sit down one-on-one once with Jerry Byrd in Honolulu, spent time figuring out Gabby's Yellow Roses, and worked with John Ely & Herb Remington - two Hawaiian-influenced players - but just took from them what she needed in terms of tunings and technique, not style. Her acoustic playing comes out of folk and blues fingerpicking. Her electric style is pure swing and comes from her natural ability coupled with very careful listening to the WS greats.

To me, Cindy's greatest musical strengths are her unerring great taste, fabulous feel for swing and rhythmic expression, and ability to know when not to play, to let the music breathe. Lastly, she can do this across every genre of music and that's a rare quality.
Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2011 6:15 am    

She always fills a space with just the right thing. I've yet to hear her fail to fit whatever style of the tune or arrangement at hand. She occasionally pushes towards the edge but never falls off and never lapses into empty virtuosity. I'm so glad she's out there and forever grateful that she often plays within driving distance of my home.

I heard her two nights ago with Redd Volkaert, Floyd Domino, Billy Curtis and others. Her instrumentals were sublime and her playing on the vocal tunes was always spot-on. Amazing consistency at the highest level, IMO.
Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2011 6:52 am    

http://www.carperfamilyband.com/music.html

I saw Cindy play with The Carper Family in Austin TX.
She was splendid as ever and she took the time for a photo together and signing some dvd's and cd's

The Carper Family have a great cd with Cindy Cashdollar playing terrific steel.check the "Tennesee Jive" on the link above.
Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2011 8:47 am    

..here's a link to the cd review:

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/album-review-the-carper-family-back-when
Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2012 12:48 am    

nice clip of The Carper Family with Cindy Cashdollar..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7j2a6R80vA
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2012 8:46 am    

Very Happy Somebody better grab a hose, this lonely hearts club is overheating to a flashpoint!

Andy Volk wrote:
She did sit down one-on-one once with Jerry Byrd in Honolulu.
She came to Jerry's gig at The House Without A Key during her stay, and it was a pleasure meeting her on that little stage afterwards. Somebody mentioned slants and she mocked fear with "Oh, I run away from slants!". She got the laffs with that one, and showed her Helms roots. We can only imagine what further heights would be enjoyed if she incorporated slants, and I'm betting it was a focus during her time with Byrd.
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2012 12:28 pm    

Hey Herb,
You are right on about what a great player Cindy is. She has all the chops and I really enjoy listening to her.My mentor is Herb Remington and I spoke to him a few days ago and he said some nice things about her and her playing. You said you were with Rose Sinclair and she also deserves a big fat hand from me. When I first heard "Girl Howdy" a few years ago, they nearley knocked me out.They had so much energy along with a bunch of pure talent. I bought their CD right away.

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 9:42 am    

Cindy teaches slants in both of her Western Swing dvds. One might assume from that, that she uses them. Her set on the live video feed from Texas last March left me awestruck.