| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gulfport Mississippi Steel show
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2011 7:10 pm    

I want to use this thread to really thank our three MCs who made our show such a nice one for all our guests-Jerry Jaye, "Country" Jack Harper, and Texas Hall of famer Bobby Bowman. Congratulations to these three. I had so many comments about the quality of players and the "SOLID GOOD COUNTRY MUSIC" that is not heard hardly anywhere these days. Cannot ever thank Ronnie McDowell for dropping in and giving us a set that really brought the house down. Thanks to Albert Talley for allowing me to slip his set a little. First time here for Albert and he really gave us some big time swing music the way it is supposed to be played. More later about the program in this thread.
Bill Stafford
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 2:44 pm    

Bill, Jean and I really want to come down to one of your shows, When is the next one? Bobby Bowman was M.C. of the Tulsa show last May, did a great job and kept the show moving really well. Jean DeVore sang with several players there, and Bobby said He was gonna take Her and make a Texas girl out of Her. We love the Steel shows, its the only real music you can call Country any more. Glad yours was such a success. Larry Baker
Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 2:56 pm    

at exactly right now, one week ago, the absolute best steel guitar show that i have attended, since
shot jackson's get togethers at the shobud shop on lower broadway during the c.m.a. week in the 1970's. and i think i have been to a bunch since then.
i can't say enuff about this show without leaving someone out accidently, so to you players,staff included,thank you,thank you, so much for such a peak performance. i apoligize if i got in anybody's way, but i had to see this up-front and close. thank you bill stafford for the invite and the ingredients that you put this together with!
i know you will soon undertake the groundwork for the next one, but, wow...what a show.
everybody was.. on-top-of-their-game, what an honor to see all these true legends of the steel guitar. thank you!!!!!! as hal said...wow!
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 3:21 pm     Gulfport Steel show

Larry, it would be a delight to have you and Jean here. Count on it.
And MISTER JACK HAPER, I would not ever want to try to do this again without you on our stage. And yes, we did have the best in our country music that we all love so much being disbursed from all the players. I was told that many times over the weekend by folks in the audience-the above was not my comment, but I sure second that notion. The airways do not play our pretty country music anymore. Shows like this give our players a chance to play the music they really love to play.
There is a radio station here on the coast that plays the "old country standards". Driving to the VFW early Friday morning, I heard a neat song about "Clayton Delaney". I thought that would be a good one to play. Asked "Country" Jack Harper if he wanted to sing that one. Did not need to ask him if he knew it because this man knows more about our music than anyone I have ever met and/or heard sing. He sang it for us and it came out perfect. Thanks Jack.
And then we had Rudy Osborne and Julie Musgrove add more great country standards, a la Dottie West. Thanks Rudy, you and Julie were the best.
Bill Stafford
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 12:14 am     A Very Young Bill Stafford

The Devil made me do this. Very Happy
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 4:24 am     Picture

Leave it to good ole John. You and the devil must be working overtime to find that picture. Looks like 1949 to me. Never knew that was in existance anywhere. I had a six string Silvertone lap steel and amplifier then. Good ole days, long since remembered and not yet forgotten, thank goodness. lol
And we really did have a good time here in Gulfport at our last steel guitar gathering. Thanks to all. Wish you could have been here John Floyd as you and Ray Harrison would have really helped out in my navy days reunion.
Bill Stafford
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 1:23 am     Gulfport Show

Larry, I will let you know when the next Gulfport show will be. Have to get through Phoenix and Dallas coming up. Usually we try to have it in May or June. Will let you all know. I am looking forward to you and Jean being with us too. Thanks for this support.
Bill Stafford
Roland Buras

Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 12:03 pm    

Hi Billy, Yes it was a great show. I was amazed at all the talent that is surrounded by a steel guitar.
I for one had a tremendously great timne, seeing & hearing great talent. Can't wait for the next' Deep South Steel guitar and Musicians show.

Sincerely'

R J Buras
Excel Superb, SD 12 7x9 keyless tuning
Peavey Nashville 112 & session 500
Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2011 12:10 pm    

I had a great time at the show. A long drive over there and a long drive home, but worth every mile.
As has been stated, a load of talent on the stage. Great players and back-up musicians.
It was a heaping pile of Southern Hospitality shown to myself and my wife.
Thank you so much to the fine folks who were at the show.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2011 3:35 pm    

Ray....we really enjoyed having you and your wife here. You certainly blessed us with your great vocals. Kept me thinking about our good friend Rob Parker, who is gone from us. You'll always have a warm welcome here on the Gulf-Coast.
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 5:35 am     Gulfport Show

Sure glad all of you got to meet and hear and play music on stage with one of my ole navy shipmates, Ray Harrison. He and I had some great times paying music all over the Southern Calif. area while our ships were in port, etc. That tour gave us association with musicians like the Hogshead Brothers who had major hit songs like "...early one morning, while making my rounds, took a shot of ------ and shot my woman down". (Anyone remember the name of that song?) Also great musicians like Cactus Solti. Who remembers him and what and who did he play with? Cactus had a music store in El Cajon-hint.
R.J., hearing Ronnie McDowell talk about the magnificent voice of your daughter, Sarah Buras when he was on our stage recently-about her, Sarah, having one of the best voices he has ever head (including the great Janice Joplin), a movie is underconsideration being made in Hollywood about Janice Joplin. Sarah would be the idea person to either play that part or do the vocals etc. Her new agents in NY need to be aware of that opportunity. Would love to see that happen for Sarah.
Thanks to all for the support you give to our Gulfport shows.
Bill STafford
Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 10:12 am    

The Gulfport show has long been, and still is, one of my favorite shows to work. Work is not a good word to use because the show is fun and a pleasure to play. Thanks Bill Stafford and the Deep South Club for having me, it's always a pleasure to be on your stage.

Sincerely....Roy Rosetta
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2011 4:11 am     Gulfport Show

Roy, the pleasure is all ours, and especially mine. Your position on our stage, with you on and in it, is what puts this all together. All our musicians here are proud to be on it with you. Would be hard to do without you. Thanks to you and Barbara for this superb support. See you in Phoenix. R
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2011 3:50 pm    

Thanks for your reply Bill, We really want to come down, I hope it works out where that we can. Jean is a great performer and a very cordial person. Hope to see you. Larry
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2011 2:41 am     Gulfport Show

Larry, will keep you posted and stay in touch. My email is SChiefsan@aol.com.
Jean comes with high marks. Our last time with Rob Parker, little over a year ago, he told me all about Jean and I am anxious for all our supporters and friends here on the coast to hear her too. Our last show this past Nov was one of the biggest and best that we have had. We are almost recuperated from Katrina and can concentrate of our programs a little more. Everyone here has been working to fix up their homes, build new ones, etc and that has slacked up a bit to allow us to get back to our fun shows. Hope you and Jean can be a big part of the next one this coming year. Stay in touch.
Bill Stafford
Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2011 3:53 am    

Aww Bill !!!...I was all packed and ready to go,but didnt recieve my invite in the mail !
Dont spose there was somebody in the crowd in an Australian Posties uniform was there?
I was looking to have a beer or three with you and Ray Harrison...three old Sea Dogs telling tall stories and lots of Lies!!!
Tony Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2011 5:35 am     Gulfport Show

Tony, you know that sea stories are all true and the proof is that real sailors, like ourselves, start all of those true tales with "...this ain't no s.....t". Will make sure you get the proper invite for our next years show. You here would be another high water mark we will have reached.

Bill STafford