| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Earplugs--which are state of the art?
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 12:29 pm    

Reading the tinnitus thread, I thought this topic might deserve a separate thread.

I know I could do research on the web, but I figure many here have already done a lot of research on this, so I hope they will share useful information so I don't have to "re-invent the wheel."

What are the best kind of earplugs for musicians to use? The only kind I have is those bulky orange rubber-like ones with the little metal canisters in them, and I don't care for them much. They don't feel good, they look goofy, and I don't like the audio effect--not sure I'd really like the way things sound with any earplugs, but as the tinnitus thread attests, at times they may be a necessary evil.

So what kind does anyone use that they're at least reasonably happy with?
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 12:37 pm    

Brint,

I use custom plugs by Westone. They were fitted by an audiologist. I use the 9db filters. No effect on tone, minor spacial anomalies and they are just like turning the volume down a tad.

The filters are replaceable if you need to go up/down in attenuation.

I just don't leave home without them when I play.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 1:27 pm    

What Howard said. Westone is the particular brand that my audiologist sells. I think they're pretty common. They make in-ear monitors too, but folks call these protection plugs we're talking about "musician's earplugs" because they're designed to turn the volume down without changing anything else about how it sounds.

http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/hearing-protection-products/custom-fit-hearing-protection-products-1

I got two sets of the interchangeable filters: 9db for normal gigs and 15db for louder situations.

They charged $150 for the custom-made earplugs and that includes a set of filters and the audiologist's time.

The filters for my plugs are made by another company (Etymotic, who also makes they're own style of earplugs. Some folks on another thread on the forum have mentioned they have those plugs.) The filters snap right onto the side of the vinyl plugs.

The color of my plugs are clear -- it's harder for the audience to see them as opposed to the colored ones.

It only takes like 15 minutes for them to make the mold for the plugs. They squirt some goo in your ear, let it set for a minute, pull it out and then they mail off the molds to the factory where they make the plugs.

Takes a week and a half to get them back from the lab. You go back in for a 5-minute session to make sure the plugs fit right. So it's two very short visits to the audiologist.

This is not an insurance situation; I paid out of pocket. FYI, the additional set of filters cost $45; I'm not sure if I'll even use those 15db filters, but went ahead and bought them just in case.
Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 2:06 pm    

Etymotic Research ER 15 for 20+ years.
Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 2:08 pm    

Etymotic Research ER 15 for 20+ years.
Matt Elsen

Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 3:16 pm    

I did exactly what Tucker Jackson did and am very happy with my plugs. They fit comfortably and snuggly, seem to lower the db's uniformly across the spectrum and it's great being able to switch out the filters depending on the situation.

They're easy to get fitted for, well worth the money and you can have them within a week of walking in your audiologists office.

Just wish I had done it sooner.
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 3:26 pm    

The only time that I wear/wore ear plugs or ear phones is/was when I am/was playing with a miced up drummer or when the drummer and his symbols are competing with the bass player for volume.

(past & present is because I have retired from stage music)

I have ear problems which pretty much forced me to be very selective of my positioning in relation to the other amps while on stage.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 6:25 pm    

Any audiologist can fit you for custom molded plugs. They have inserts that cut 9 dB,15dB, and 25 dB..... Like a moron I waited until AFTER I had tinnitus to buy them. How I wish I bought them 10 years ago... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 7:14 pm    

Bob, it's not always exposure. Perhaps it's genetics, or some other luck of the draw. My dad, who probably has fewer than 300 hours on stage with electric acts, has some tinnitus and some hearing loss that drives him nuts, while his current bandmate has no tinnitus and no measurable hearing loss despite having played electric most of the 80s and 90s. But Eddie got Parkinson's instead (youtube search "banjo brain surgery for a wild four minutes)
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 7:30 pm    

Stuff toilet paper in your ears and leave a lot hanging out. It gives you a custom fit and sends an obvious message that something is too loud.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2011 7:10 am    

These work good and don't cost a thing!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2011 7:32 am    

I wanna watch you play with them in
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2011 7:35 am    

In my case, they tell me I sound better with them in ….. Shocked
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2011 10:08 am    

Westone for many years, and a couple pairs of the cheap Etymotics in guitar case in case I forget the Westones...the Etymotics are 20db, too strong for some situations,
I never wear them on stage - we control stage volume pretty well. I wear them in FOH when listening to hter bands, the FOH sound is much louder than stage volume...
Tinnitus first, earplugs second, is how I did it, and that isn't the right way. i've been buying Etymotics for every musician I know...
Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2011 12:57 pm    

Mine were from Westone Laboratories. I ordered a pair when they first came out years ago. No doubt whatsoever in my mind that they saved my hearing over the years. I once read that if you come off stage with your ears ringing, the damage has already been done. I came off stage one night wearing my plugs the entire time and my ears were still ringing!!! I cannot imagine how much hearing loss the rest of the band had due to that kind of volume.

No, it doesn't sound as good as playing plug-less....but as you get older, you will be glad you took care of your greatest musical instrument....

Joe Rogers
Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 6:52 am    

We live in a world of noise. You should wear ear protection any time you are exposed to anything that produces a loud sound...Never fire a rifle or pistol without ear and eye protection..Lawn mowers, chainsaws and other gas powered equipment make enough noise to cause irreversible hearing loss..The same goes for a lot of other power tools...It's up to us to try and save our eyes and ears, as nobody can do it for you...

If you have to wear ear plugs to play music,,then either you or the band is too damn LOUD...If you can't hear your amp. and you have cranked up, then you are just asking for trouble. Either quit playing with that group or get some real good protection for your ears...It's just common sense...If your ears are ringing after playing, and you have been using ear protection,,then you had better get away from that group or you will end up deaf...It's simply not worth it to lose your hearing,,and as it's already been said, ringing in the ears is usually the first sign of hearing loss...Tinnitus can be bad enough to make people commit suicide...This is serious stuff,,so take precautions before it's too late...Regards,,,Carson
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 10:07 am    

I naturally tend to sing a tad sharp with earplugs and in-ear monitors. The same thing happens on steel. Admittedly I've never tried the really high quality plugs. Does' this happen for anybody else?

Luckily my ears ring at a very low level... Oh Well
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 10:14 am    

I sing also and use floor monitors. I've noticed that the stereo image becomes more "binaural" and I have to position the monitor to favor one ear, rather then directly in front which seems to be a bit of a dead zone.

Where's Brint? Has he lost interest? Laughing

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 10:31 am    

No indeed, I've been interested to see that there's so much unanimity (among the serious replies). I was waiting to see if they'red be any different suggestions. Thanks to all who answered.
Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 7:11 pm    

Carson Leighton wrote:
We live in a world of noise. You should wear ear protection any time you are exposed to anything that produces a loud sound.....Lawn mowers, chainsaws and other gas powered equipment make enough noise to cause irreversible hearing loss..

...If you have to wear ear plugs to play music,,then either you or the band is too damn LOUD...

Carson, you brought up interesting points. I had never in my life worn my ear plugs to mow the lawn until about 3 years ago, and I was surprised to find out just how loud a lawn mower REALLY is.

As for your comment about the band being too loud I agree. But this was not a neighborhood bar band playing for fun. It was my living playing with a Nashville artist with four #1 hits in one year...and the gig in question where my ears were ringing even while wearing plugs happened to be on a concert stage opening for the CMA's Entertainer of the Year. The main point I wanted to get across is that the temptation to play louder than what is needed can occur at ALL levels of the professional and non-professional playing spectrum. I also wanted to hammer home the point that protecting your ears is the most important thing a musician can do for his longevity.

I attended a Presonus seminar on the 19th of this month and Craig Anderton spoke at 3 of the clinics. He says that he wears earplugs anytime he is in a city...not wanting to accidentally expose his ears to a sudden jackhammer or car horn. He mentions that he wears plugs on airplanes and refuses to master any project before 48 hours have passed from getting off of a plane. I found his comments very interesting.

Joe Rogers