| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Classic Canadian Country
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 12:15 am    

While I didn't find Keoki Lake on any of the Canadian country LPs from this site www.scratchyattic.blogspot.com there is a lot of steel to be found on these discs, many obscure, featuring both well known and near forgotten steelers. Keoki probably knew some of these artists, as he played Canadian country steel back in the day. There's plenty of classic American country here too, but forget all but the first few from 2008, they don't seem to be active for download. Fortunately, they are mostly Christmas recordings, but the cajun Christmas link works Very Happy
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 9:05 am    

That is one cool blog Ron, thanx. Any time Canadian music gets mentioned I hold my head up a little higher.

And of course we can't forget some of the true giants of country that came out of Canada, like Hank Snow and Wilf Carter. Here's an anecdote you might enjoy...

My Dad was raised in Calgary, born 1928. He had an older sister named Esther who was courted by Wilf Carter, with Wilf showing up at the house and serenading her out on the front porch sort of thing. Well, my grandfather, a very tough and strait-laced man from the East End of London, finally drove Carter away, telling his daughter no good could come from her hanging around with "that good-for-nothing cowboy."

If she'd ignored her dad, Wilf would have been my uncle and Aunt Esther would have been rich! He was still alive in 1996. Smile
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 9:23 am    

Pretty cool, Mike, I've heard ol' Wilf was a nice guy. But just think if it'd been Hank Williams or Jerry Lee Lewis... you might not have ever been born!