| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  In Portland, Oregon...........would there be any interest?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2011 7:00 pm    

Would there be any interest by steel players in/around the Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA....area....

for a once per month 'informal gathering so that a one or two hour project of 'learning' and discussion, might be had, followed by a one hour period of playing, and/or watching and listening or whatever?

Such a group, primarily for Hawaiian Steel Guitar, once existed (10 or 20 years ago) and would meet at the Sierra Guitar Co., facilities in southeast Portland. Its membership grew to about 25 members, +/-.....

Quite a few long-lasting friendships were made but the group ultimately dissolved and evaporated. Just curious if there is any desire to have another similar group to which you might desire access?
Russ Blake

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 12:19 am    

If you'll be playing/demonstrating/teaching then count me in.
James Nottage

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 4:41 am     Portland

And, if I had the option, I'd move to Portland just to take part. Good luck!

James Nottage

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 5:45 am    

Why just Hawaiian-style only?

I think there's a lot of country & swing oriented PSG players that would be interested in just that sort of thing too.
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 6:44 am    

Could you get a little closer to the Imnaha River?
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 8:59 am    

(deleted for duplicate content)

Last edited by Twayn Williams on 4 Nov 2011 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 9:08 am    

I'd be interested.

However, I'm really not interested in playing to a band-in-a-box, so I'd also be willing to bring an acoustic guitar along to provide rhythm. There'd need to be at least one other competent rhythm player as well to make it work, i.e. I wouldn't want to only play rhythm and not touch my steel!

The main issue with a group of this nature is where to do it. The gypsy jazz jams I play at are all acoustic and take place at various bars in town (the Moon and Sixpence in the Hollywood district and the Lucky Lab in Multnomah Village.) Going into a noisy bar and pluging in mounds of electric equipment wouldn't really work at any public venue I know of in town Smile

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 9:48 am     My tho'ts on the subject were..............

to keep the project SIMPLE!

Tony: WE could alternately 'feature' western swing at one session, with Hawaiian, or pop at subsequent meetings. EVERYONE would be free to contribute ideas and thot's so that participants could go home with as many fresh ideas as possible.

Thanks for the kind words from you guys. WHERE is that river you mentioned, east or west of town?

If we do it, let's just make it an informal fun day for steel guitar players that are interested in the task. I can't afford to bring all the gear that Larry Behm and othes did for the Milwaukie Steel Jam. I'm olde and have a weak back and my gear has sat around so long it's actually gotten heavier. Come to think of it, all of my clothes have gotten smaller from hanging in the dark still air in the closet.

There's a bowling alley that we olde folks visit on a regular basis and they have an outside room for meetings that I'm told they do rent out. They failed to get me a price yesterday but I'll keep pressing them. Lot's of convenient, free parking and snack bar access; restrooms just down the hall.

I didn't see this as a steel guitar jam like we're all familiar with. Those are fun! I had in mind more of a 'workshop' format. No spectators to inhibit questions from the floor. Just a sit in a circle and discuss issues or playing techniques that others in the room might be able to clerify for the group. What would be the best day for such an event; Saturdays; Sundays? Would you be opposed to putting a few bucks in the pot to cover the room rental? What would be your max?
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 10:10 am    

Ray, Dave,
You might check out Artichoke Music on SE Hawthorn... stop by and see the Back-room area (stage, seating).
They have a venue that might be perfect.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 11:23 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
Ray, Dave,
You might check out Artichoke Music on SE Hawthorn... stop by and see the Back-room area (stage, seating).
They have a venue that might be perfect.

Great idea, Pete. That is a perfect venue for this kind of forum.
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 11:33 am    

I'd be into it. I'm just getting into playing more traditional lap steel, even though I've been dabbling with it for a few years. I'd be more interested if it was a way to share technique, accompaniment/improvisation tips, etc as opposed to straight repertoire. I'm currently finding it difficult to make chordal accompaniment sound interesting, for example.

I was just about to suggest Artichoke Music. That's the perfect venue for this sort of thing.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 11:40 am     THANKS for the timely suggestions..........

"Artichoke Music"......on Southeast Hawthorne Blvd.......
GREAT suggestion!

Anyone familiar with the owners? What costs might be involved? Is there adequate parking for 5, 10 or 25 people with gear? Rest rooms?

What about distractions from curious walk-in?
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 12:28 pm    

Don't know the owners, but everything else you mentioned would be covered.

Ray, you may remember coming over to my house a few years ago. It was an old church in Ladd's Addition. We used it for a venue, recording studio and to hold events such as the one we are discussing. My friend and I started a simple "jam" night because we knew so many closet musicians that just didn't have anyone to play with. It didn't work out for a number of reasons.

This isn't meant to be discouraging, but I DO feel like some thought has to be put into the organization to keep momentum going from the start.

These are the most significant reasons why my attempt didn't work out:

1) participants from every level of musicianship. It's really difficult to keep everyone happy when there are semi-pro musicians mixing with beginners. What do you play? Is it a clinic or a jam session?

2) everyone is a guitarist (in this case, a steeler). Just about everyone showed up with guitars. 15-20 guitarists of varying ability, sitting in circle trying to learn a new song........disaster. You end up with either nothing happening or creating a "talking-stick" situation. How will this be organized, what's the game plan? What are the goals?

3) some universal constant to keep us together. This is why video games like Rock Band work. It's arranged and synced for different instruments and everyone can participate at different levels. Even if we all know the same song, there'll be a bunch of steel guitars playing the same thing with no rhythmic backbone to keep it all together. I hate the way Band-In-A-Box sounds, but it would serve a purpose.

4) Show-offs. There's always one, at least. That guy who comes in and is more interested in showing off his chops than playing with others. I can stay home and watch great players on youtube.

5) Alcohol. Everything above was amplified by beer and whiskey.

I realize it's also a social situation, but if I drive across town just to have some beers and talk about steel, I probably won't reserve that spot on my calendar. I will have goals and will want to measure my progress.

Just food for thought...
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 3:10 pm     GREAT Suggestions!

James, I do recall the visit...... I can't recall now why I was there but I do recall bits and pieces of the visit and the church interior.

Good suggestions you've made there......

I'm just exploring as to the feasibility of such a project. It would have to be MORE FUN and educational than anything else.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2011 3:19 pm    

The Imnaha River is quite a few miles south of Chesnimnus Creek, Ray, which relatively speaking is not too far out of town if you've got a really fast plane and a flat place for take offs and landings, otherwise it's a long drive to the airstrip at Enterprise... Confused

I've got sound gear if needed, so scratch that off the list.

Artichoke's Backstage might work for a smaller gathering but would they donate it? I knew the previous owners very well but have only met the current one a few times, he might go for it to introduce more pickers to his store but they would not be likely to furnish food or beverage service ror such an off night event. I am thinking that there is a pleasant venue with food and beverages - not necessarily alcoholic - that would be happy to host us on a monthly basis if we met mid-week.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2011 9:01 am    

I think Artichoke has an event rate like any place might.
There are some local reheasal rental halls (under Hawthorn Bridge is one) that charge like $15/hour and supply a room with a small sound system.

'Sounds like it boils down to a get together at someones home (this time of year), or a meet in a local park (tons of great ones all around when the weather is right).

FWIW, I recently set up 5 pedal steels in my living room and invited 3 new-ish Pedal Steel players over to talk shop and pick steels for a couple few hours, in that case we started at 11am on a Thursday.

It went well, and I would encourage anyone to just set a time and date and invite some likeminded players to their home for an interactive instructional thing.
My "presentation" was based on "8,10, and 12 string single-neck universal-tunings demonstrated for guys who have mainly played 10 string E9 steel".

'Seems like it would be really easy for a group of non-pedal players to get down to biz.

Other get togethers in the area:
I know Dave Kellogg and friends play on Tuesday nights in Tualtin, and have given open invite to local pickers to join in and or lead.

There is also the monthly Hoot out on SE Foster that has become a steel player zone, sponcered by Blue Moon Highway Band and friends.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2011 9:37 am     A lot going on in PDX..........

WEll PETE..... I must THANK YOU for all the details. You've been a great help, as always, and I do appreciate that.

Been playing for years but have not been privy to the goings-on here in this area. Any tho't of addresses or phone numbers or times or whatever? I might like to drop by and give a listen to all that's happening. I need to get out of the house more often.

After reviewing your mighty fine summary I guess there is no need, for me to think any longer, that another such event is even remotely necessary. I didn't really want to burden my life with involved commitments that would be required to put on such a function. The wife just reminded me, "I'm RETIRED"!

REALLY PETE....your contribution here is sincerely appreciated. THANK YOU again!
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2011 2:28 pm    

You may be retired, Ray, but you're certainly INVITED! The next Hoot will be "Hootsgiving" on November 20, but if a bunch of steelers wanted to get together I know we could work something out there most anytime...

The Barn Hoots generally happen the third Sunday of each month out at Chuck Norland's place, 130th and SE Foster. The guys have been hard at work expanding and decorating the place so that the girls don't mind hanging out there. It is a potluck affair with plenty of kids and dogs in attendance as well a quite a few spectators. It's mostly BYOB but last month we had a positive experience with a purchased keg of good micro-brew and this is likely to be repeated in the future.

There is a stage, sound system and band backline set up in advance, including a real piano and one or more pedal steel rigs set up for all comers, usually by whomever gets there first with the nicest outfit to share. In any case Mike Winter's S10 ZB is always on hand as well...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Barn/195268713380

Wee Ellie singing "On the Road Again" with the incomparable Harley James with the tele, me playing his SSUUWWEETT little S10. If you want to see the girls you have to go to the FaceBook page and check out the albums... Cool
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2011 10:18 am     Re: A lot going on in PDX..........

Ray Montee wrote:
...Any tho't of addresses or phone numbers or times or whatever?

Copied from the Portland Steel Jam thread:
Bob Muller wrote:
If anyone in the Portland area would like to practice up for the upcoming steel jam, I hold a practice session every Tuesday night at my place in Wilsonville. I will have the same band in a box tracks to practice the songs from the jam available. We have plenty of room, and extra guitars if you don't want to bring your instrument, just show up. We start every Tuesday night about seven, just give me a call if you need further information.
503 570-0111
Bob Muller
classic.jukebox@frontier.com

The next "Hoot" (Per Dave Grafe info above):
Sunday, November 20, Chuck Norland's place, 130th and SE Foster, 1pm.

Ray Montee wrote:

After reviewing your mighty fine summary I guess there is no need, for me to think any longer, that another such event is even remotely necessary.

Ray, If you want to lead a Steel event, just name the day/time/place and invite some players.
Its as easy as that.
I personally see no need to lease a building or pay a facility fee, myself (although those options exist. too).
Pete B.

Last edited by Pete Burak on 6 Nov 2011 10:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2011 10:36 am    

I would love to participate and help make this happen in any way I can.
Jeff Repp

Rock Creek, OR, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2011 8:52 pm    

I'd be interested in participating. I'm always looking to learn something new. Any place on the west side to conduct this? I can get to the southeast no problem, it's just more of a drive.
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2011 5:03 pm    

I surely am interested also....the Artichoke folks might be interested, they could sell booze and make a few bucks...
Richard Columbo 503-232-8845
Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 7:09 pm    

I would like to come... just to connect and get involved in the steel community. I would be willing to play acoustic/electric guitar so I could learn the songs we played at the last jam.
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 7:12 pm    

Dave Grafe wrote:
You may be retired, Ray, but you're certainly INVITED! The next Hoot will be "Hootsgiving" on November 20, but if a bunch of steelers wanted to get together I know we could work something out there most anytime...

The Barn Hoots generally happen the third Sunday of each month out at Chuck Norland's place, 130th and SE Foster. The guys have been hard at work expanding and decorating the place so that the girls don't mind hanging out there. It is a potluck affair with plenty of kids and dogs in attendance as well a quite a few spectators. It's mostly BYOB but last month we had a positive experience with a purchased keg of good micro-brew and this is likely to be repeated in the future.

There is a stage, sound system and band backline set up in advance, including a real piano and one or more pedal steel rigs set up for all comers, usually by whomever gets there first with the nicest outfit to share. In any case Mike Winter's S10 ZB is always on hand as well...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Barn/195268713380

Wee Ellie singing "On the Road Again" with the incomparable Harley James with the tele, me playing his SSUUWWEETT little S10. If you want to see the girls you have to go to the FaceBook page and check out the albums... Cool

This is great!
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
Lev Liberman

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2011 9:15 am    

I'd be interested too. (Newbie lap steeler eager to learn from experienced players.)