| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Triple 8
Raphael McGregor

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 2:56 pm    

Hi all,

Saw this on NYC Craigslist today...it's been posted several times with different headings and prices for the steel. Seems weird to me, any thoughts? I would love a Triple 8, but this circumstance makes me wary...

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/2678736026.html

Raphael
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 3:47 pm    

I have one of these and it is a great guitar. However, $1400 is a bit high, especially without legs and a case, so find out if they are included. Send an email, what the hell.

OK--I saw the other ad for $1200 with legs and case. Could be legit, just sounds like one of many NYers I've encountered on CL. Laughing

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 3:56 pm     22-1/2" upscale

The steel is (or started out as) a Fender Custom. I can't tell if the pickup and/or tuner buttons on the bottom neck are original.

The presentation of the ad is suspicious to say the least. The seller, for whom English isn't a second, third or possibly even seventh language, and who, prior to this listing, is clearly a typing virgin, seems to know less about what he has than, well...a burglar or a fence. (And whoa---"Upper East Side"?!?)

Should you boldly venture into the unknown (and for all the catty things I said above, I'd be tempted too), make sure the pickups are all good--not just in terms of volume, tone and output but that the bobbins haven't shrunk and cause a rattle. I'd check all tuners carefully because repair and/or replacement of these pan assemblies is difficult and often expensive. Sometimes the individual tuners come unsoldered from the sides of the pan and the gears slip.

As with any guitar, switches and pots might have issues, but these are more routine to deal with.

I think $1400 is high as an unexamined piece, unless everything checks out and/or there's an original tweed case. (And as Mike noted, legs.)

Good luck.

Last edited by Ben Elder on 11 Nov 2011 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 4:00 pm    

Good luck is right.

That is some weak a__ s__t.

Can you figure that one out? Winking

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 4:03 pm    

Thanks...yeah, I feel pretty sure that this lap steel is stolen or at least strange in some way. But if I can solicit some more advice, what do you guys think about this one in terms of price?

http://retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=4787&CartID=67782211112011
Mitch Crane

1000 Oaks, CA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 4:14 pm    

If you're looking at D8, then check this one ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Fender-Dual-8-Professional-Console-Lap-Steel-Guitar-Stringmaster-/23069440256

There is also a nice looking T8 Stringmaster in the classified section here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaWwzD9Jsn8

Last edited by Mitch Crane on 11 Nov 2011 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 4:22 pm    

Retrofret (a.k.a Musurgia) is price-y, but they have New York overhead and they are knowledgeable connoisseurs. (I bought a refinished SJ-200 from them once upon a time at a very decent price. I thought they understated in their description how great it was.)

I think they're right on with the date. Note the lack of front apron Fender decal. My Custom (s/n T-115), although walnut-finished, also lacks the decal and has trapezoid pickups. Mine has Roman-numeral fretmarkers (and no internal pencil markings that would come about later) whereas this appears to have the later squares, rectangles and arrows motif.

You could find a Dual Pro cheaper, but with Retrofret, you'd be buying from someone local and knowledgeable, so there's an intangible value compared to waiting for something to pop up, and wading through vintage magazines, Craigslist, eBay and whatever else.

I'm a satisfied one-time Retrofret customer and I believe that there's value in getting what you want quicker and right the first time. My two cents, if not $1800.

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 4:25 pm    

Thanks...I agree, I am nervous about buying things sight unseen. Most of the time I'll be happy to pay a bit more for peace of mind. I was also warned by a forum member at one point about buying steels from ebay, the point being that all the real steel community people are here on the site, so people outside it are not necessarily to be trusted. Do any of you guys know anything about this "Toy Ranch" seller?
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 6:58 pm    

Raphael McGregor wrote:
I was also warned by a forum member at one point about buying steels from ebay, the point being that all the real steel community people are here on the site, so people outside it are not necessarily to be trusted.

That's plain nonsense......IMO
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 12 Nov 2011 11:01 am    

Howdy Rahael,
Noah Hahn sent me some links to The Steel Standard vids- lovely stuff! Two things- I know you play six strings- there's an immaculate dual pro 6 string on the market locally here in VT for a decent price, which I'll personally vouch for. That said, I think you'd love another few strings per neck- I do.

Asa
Raphael McGregor

Post  Posted 12 Nov 2011 1:13 pm    

Hey Asa,

Cool! Glad you like the Steel Standard vids...I'm a huge fan of your playing so that means a lot. I also saw that you just got a triple 8...it's definitely the direction I want to go, if not a triple then at least a double.

Hope we can play sometime, you ever make it down to NYC?

--Raph
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 12 Nov 2011 5:39 pm    

Raphael,
I'll be down next week ( with Anais Mitchel's Hadestown (!!!!) at Le poisson Rouge on Sunday, then at Rockwood Monday with Dollar General) - I'd love to get together. Also, if you ever find a nice double eight, I'd be open to a trade... that third neck is a lot for me.

Asa
Raphael McGregor

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2011 8:12 pm    

Hey, no kidding...I may have some time to hang, that'd be great...my email is raphaelmcgregor@gmail.com. Also, I'm playing with a really great western swing band at Barbes in Brooklyn on Monday night, 7-9 if you have time before your Rockwood hit.

--Raph