| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How do you use the full step lower on string #2 (E9)
Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 4:38 am    

I use the 1/2 step feel stop lower but really haven't used the full step drop other than to double up on the C# from the A pedal raise. Im wondering what some you do with this?
Thanks
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 5:03 am    

Even if that's all you start from, there are a lot of things you can do with that. do a youtube search on bobbe Seymour and counterpoint. for that matter, Richard or Mickey might be able to you point you to a cool counterpoint move on 1 of Mickey's videos.
Watch this space. I'll be back with a youtube link or 2

Here is 1 from Mickey, but not the 1 I was looking for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH2kUMQW9kk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

here is a cool 1 from Bobbe Seymour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Faiwc3HTT-s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mickey had a cool move that sounded a lot like the intro to heather myles' "1 man woman again" but it wasn't and I don't remember the title. I can't figure out how to turn off justification, so I won't try to tab this, but I think I can describe it.
Key of C, starting on the 5, The sixth fret.
Second string all the way down, And the A pedal almost all the way down strike 5 and 2 together, And add the rest of the pedal. Release botg the knee lever and the pedal as you move up to the seventh fret. Move to 8th fret, add string 6 with B pedal. Dampen those and hit 4,5,&6 as you release the B pedal.

Before I had a phone that could play youtube, I learned this move from Mickey's video by playing it over and over and over on the computer at the library, and driving straight to the bar where my steel was and playing it before I had the chance to forget it
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 11:10 am    

I like the move and had it on some of the different guitars I owned. My problem is that I don't like half stops. In the heat of playing, I can never get the half step dialed right on. Going for D, I'd always overshoot flat or undershoot sharp. So for me, it was a choice of having the whole step drop or the half step. I chose D. Since just having D# to D I've been actually able to expand my playing options because I don't have to worry about that string so much anymore. If it was on a seperate lever maybe I could get happy with it.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 12:03 pm    

Terry Bethel and some others have retuned to D, with levers raising to D# and lowering to C#. I guess it comes down, like so.many other things, how your style uses the guitar. I've never had a problem hitting the feel stop, and I use all three tones. I also, especially in minor chords, make use of a D#-C# move in one go.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 12:11 pm    

I tube my 2nd string to C# and raise it. I got this from B.J. Cole, and I think Weldon Myrick also tunes this way.

I use 2 different levers to raise the string to D ad D#. The lever that raises it to D also drops my 8th string.
Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 12:29 pm    

Yeah.. I can't say I hit the feel stop right every time So I was looking at just going to the 1/2 step lower as well.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 2:14 pm    

If you lower the 2nd to C3, then pick 3,1,4,2,5 it makes for a useful fast scale without having to quickly hit the A pedal.

However, I usually wind my 2nd string lower off so that it just gives me a D - I love having the 4th of the scale there with pedals down as I, too, have a problem with half-stops. The D note is of far more use to me than a C# in that position.

Retuning the string to a D is, though, a clever option - I may try playing around with that to see how I get on with it.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 3:00 pm    

Quote:
If you lower the 2nd to C3, then pick 3,1,4,2,5 it makes for a useful fast scale without having to quickly hit the A pedal.

Yup. Very Happy Pretty much the only thing I use it for other than that unison split lick that Emmons made so popular.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Charles Kurck

Living in Arkansas but Heaven is home
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 5:31 am    

E6 Chord

2. C#
3. G#
4. E
5. B
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 11:15 pm    

Hey Charlie. There's a book out there, if you can find it, called "Trapping Squirrels" written by an old freind of mine,the late Catfish John. The book is about nothing but using the second string full drop. Good luck. RP
Mike, I beleive Hal Rugg and Weldon, while on the opry, both tuned the second to C#.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 11:28 pm    

I'll pull it down from D while adding the B pedal for a V-I or I-IV tritone resolution
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2011 6:20 pm    

Ron Pruter wrote:
's a book out there, if you can find it, called "Trapping Squirrels" written by an old friend of mine,the late Catfish John. The book is about nothing but using the second string full drop.

I'd like to take a look at that. Anybody have a copy they can Xerox?
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2011 8:55 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
Terry Bethel and some others have retuned to D, with levers raising to D# and lowering to C#.
Jimmie Crawford is another.

Oh--and me! But at least a couple of good players have done it too! Wink
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 1:30 pm    

I was listening to my Pandora and just heard this. Pretty sure it's Buddy, 'cause Day didn't play like that. And, since I HATE links that don't tell you where you're going, Ray Price and "An Eye For an Eye."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFj680v3xM8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The third measure of the intro has a sweet use of that whole tone drop
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2011 1:44 pm    

And another use for it dropped into my head last night, thinking on how I mainly play blues lately. I think I'll add a second string set screw so I can split tune the D of combining P0 and RKR. Hit the unison E and drop 2 to D while leaving 1 at G#