| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  wood thickness and foam thickness for arm pad
Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2011 5:54 pm    

I just received a D-10 conversion to an SD-10 but it is missing the pad. I need to install a pad. I have the wood and the foam and vinyl, but it seems like once I put them all together that the pad is going to be too high. I've done this a couple times before and never really like my end results.

Can anyone tell me on an SD-10 what the wood thickness is for the pad and then how thick of foam and what type of foam they use.

So wood thickness and foam thickness I need to know ASAP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TXS

Al Vesel
email: alvesel@mchsi.com
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2011 7:04 pm     pad

I have a padded armrest on my s10 , But a teacher of mine makes arm rests for his emmons s10s and he makes a wooding rest just covered with vinyl. NO FOAM and believe me if works way better than a foam rest. It is solid and does make your wrists sink into the foam. It is shaped like this.....
=========================
====================== "======
"=========

Its shaped that way to be against the neck and then where it flares out for the changer and pickup end it bends down and against agian.
Its amazing the stability you feel without the foam.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2011 7:06 pm    

I also forgot to mention that on my steel with foam, there is no wood at all, except for maybe a piece of 1/8" bass to mount foam on top of and then upholster it to that.

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2011 7:53 pm     Wood thickness and foam thickness for arm pad.

A good place to start is check the height of the existing strings on the front neck. This is a good place to start if you were playing accross a C6 Neck it would be the same. The first thing is get a piece good solid wood not plywood. End the cover and foam at the nut roller. With a router or carving chisels you can make an assortment of groves that is a good place to park bars and picks. I have a grove that holds my 1" steel bar and my plastic Dobro Effects bar. The wood is common poplar, I just used Black Perm. Magic Marker to match the black of the covering. My MSA has 1" wood and a very thin 1/4 in. foam. that way your arms don't sink down in it. I used a piece of leather type material on mine. The more you sweat the slicker it gets. I put a metal clip in the right end of the wood on the pad. From this clip I insert a strip of metal that allow me to mount my tuner in a leather cover where it is handy and safe. Try to get a picture on of it for you to see. Good Luck and Happy Steelin
Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2011 11:45 pm     installing pad on SD-10

Bob,

You can close this out. I figured it out myself. Actually with my foam and board it just looked too high so I planed the board down some and it still looked high.

So I took Jeff's advice. I didn't use foam, but I did use some felt I had and doubled it up. It actually worked out real well.

So txs for your advice and also your's Bobby.

Al Vesel Smile Smile
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2011 4:36 am    

I have been using 3/16" underlay ply but it is too flexible. I will start using 1/4" maple (cutoffs from making the body)
I figure since the c6 strings would be about 1/4" below the e9th ones, that's how high I should have the finished pad. I use closed cell foam covered with a good quality auto upholstery.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2011 6:43 am    

I use 1/4" plywood and install Tee nuts in it in the place of the existing neck screws- sometimes adding a couple at each end in order to insure that it will stay down. Also I use 1/2" foam that compresses to about half of that when the covering is pulled tight and stapled to the underside.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2011 7:38 am    

Velcro also works, instead of screws