| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help With N/400 Amp.
Raymond White

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2011 9:38 am    

What it does ,when you turn it on at times it will make a squealling/feed back sound,it will do it for 10/15 seconds or until you turn it off,turn it back on give 5/10 seconds and it will do the same thing again.I had this Amp Moded completely by Ken Fox about 3/4years ago,it just started doing this a few weeks ago,NOTHING puged into it at the ,the only thing i have done to this amp,since mod,is I changed out the speaker,from a JBL to A Sica 250,any help would be appreciated,Thanks,Ray White Byron Ga.Email me at(steelmanplayer@tahoo.com)....
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2011 11:20 am    

Turn the Reverb control to Zero (off) and see if it still does it. A bad connection on the Reverb Molex connector is one thing that can cause this.
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2011 2:14 pm    

Raymond,

Like Jack said...mine started doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago. It would start emitting a high pitched squeal a few seconds after I turned it on, and would keep doing it until I turned the amp off or turned the reverb all the way down.

I pulled the head and sprayed the insides of the Molex connectors with plastic safe electronics cleaner that can be purchased at an auto parts store. I also checked the male and female plugs inside of the Molex connectors, and found one female connector that looked like it was a little more open than the others. I carefully pushed a very small allen wrench between the plastic connector housing and the connector, and was able to close it up somewhat. I also sprayed all of the jacks and pots with the electronics cleaner for good measure. I reinstalled the head, plugged into the amp, and haven't had the problem since then.

Thanks to Ken Fox, Jim Evans, and John LeMay for talking about this during their amp presentations at this year's Dallas show.

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" - Augustus McCrae
"From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth 'til death, we travel between the eternities" - Prentiss Ritter

Too many steels, amps & other stuff, and an open mind. I have tube amp bias.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2011 4:31 am    

You know, it would be great if someon designed and marketed a simple aftermarket modification kit to replace that pesky NV400 molex connector.
Seems to me most NV400 owners would buy it. Heck, I would.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2011 8:42 am    

When Ken Fox modded mine, he soldered the speaker wires to the male connectors that the molex plug would attach to. No more molex connection. I would imagine you could do the same for the reverb. Although, I think I would solder the wires on and have them go to some kind of connector and the have the wires from the spring go to the mating connector in case I had to remove the chassis or reverb spring.

Now for the important part. Can someone tell me if reverb is a real word? In every program I use the word in (even here) I get the red squiggly line under the word like it is misspelled. Mad Mad Mad
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2011 5:03 pm    

Richard, whenever you see that red squiggly line it means that word isn't in the dictionary. Just right click on it, and in the little box that pops up, click "add to dictionary". Now you'll never see the squiggle again on the word "reverb".
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2011 1:25 am    

AH HA... Thanks Mike. I knew that a couple million people with reverb in their lives couldn't all be wrong. Dang, I kind of miss the little white line now. Boy, I'm just never happy.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.