| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Just got a vintage Sho-Bud...need help starting out
Byron Leonard

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2011 4:35 am    

I just just got an old Sho-Bud 10-string 3-pedal 1-knee. I have a few questions:

The guy I bought it from gave me an extra pack of strings with it because he said he didn't know how old the strings on it were. The strings he gave me were GHS Boomers C6th Tuning. First problem I had was the 10th, 9th, and 8th strings were .070, .054, .042 and barely fit on the guitar. I really don't like the sound of the strings in C6th either...just not my sound.

I just looked up GHS Boomers in the E9th tuning, and they are much smaller on the 10, 9, and 8 strings and will fit perfectly. But...here's my problem.

I prefer Cajun tuning like this:

1st-G
2nd-D
3rd-B
4th-G
5th-D
6th-B
7th-G
8th-D
9th-B
10th-G

What set of strings should I get for this tuning?

Also, how do I check to see if the pedal run to the right strings, and what notes should he 1st, 2nd, 3rd pedal and knee lever play?

Sorry but I'm just starting and don't want to get too far into it until I make sure it's tuned correctly and the pedals/knee lever are correct.

Thanks everyone, great forum!

Last edited by Byron Leonard on 21 Oct 2011 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2011 5:33 am    

Byron, I would start out with a standard E9th tuning since that is what that guitar was designed for and really nothing else unless you want to spend bucks to modify it. I am guessing it is a Maverick. The original set-up was probably this from high to low:

1st-F#
2nd-D#
3rd-G#
4th-E
5th-B
6th-G#
7th-F#
8th-E
9th-D
10th-B

The knee lever I am guessing lowers 4 and 8 or 4 and 2 maybe. The A pedal raises 5 and 10 a full step, the B pedal raises 3 and 6 a half step, and the C pedal raises 5 and 4 a full step. That is what they were built to do and everything on them is pretty much locked into that.
Byron Leonard

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2011 5:58 am    

Thanks Craig. Yes, I just checked the model and serial number and it's a 1975 Maverick (I know, I know...but I'm just beginning). I have a few more questions and I think I'll be able to get started playing today.

1) So I need to get a set of E9th strings and just tune accordingly. When tuning, I've read here in a few places that you tune the guitar with the pedals down? What about the knee lever strings, are they just tuned with the knee lever in the resting position?

2) I'm assuming I have to adjust the pedals and knee lever as well so they will raise & lower the strings to the correct notes. I noticed you mentioned "full step" and "half step". Using a tuner, what note should the strings play then the pedals and knee lever are used?

3) I also have a vintage Traynor YCV40 tube amp, which all of my 6-string guitar player friends absolutely love the sound of. Is this a good amp for pedal steel as well? I tried it out some last night and even with the C6th tuning which I'm not really fond of, it sounded pretty good to me.

I am going to get some E9th strings today, and I also need a volume pedal. I found one at a local music store that is just a basic volume pedal with no effects or anything for $99. I'm assuming that is what I need...I've never bought one before.

Last edited by Byron Leonard on 21 Oct 2011 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2011 6:44 am    

Byron, you might want to wait and get in touch with some of the La. players first. The cajun tuning is a valid one and can be used on your guitar.

Daniel Cormier, Murnel Babineaux, Marty Broussard et al. can offer you some insight on the tuning and string gauges you asked about.
They're all on the forum here from time to time and you can get their contact info by searching here.

My buddy Ronald Prejean over in LaFayette, but I don't know if he plays the cajun tuning.
Byron Leonard

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2011 7:47 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Byron, you might want to wait and get in touch with some of the La. players first. The cajun tuning is a valid one and can be used on your guitar.

Daniel Cormier, Murnel Babineaux, Marty Broussard et al. can offer you some insight on the tuning and string gauges you asked about.
They're all on the forum here from time to time and you can get their contact info by searching here.

My buddy Ronald Prejean over in LaFayette, but I don't know if he plays the cajun tuning.

I see those guys on occasion, but I haven't in a while. It would be nice to go with the Cajun tuning on it but I'm not sure what strings to go with so for right now I'm going to go from C6th to E9th and stick with that until I get with some of the Cajun pickers down here.

Richard Comeaux is who I know the most...he is an amazing player and a really approachable guy.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2011 7:52 am    

Cool Byron. Best of Luck Exclamation
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2011 8:40 am    

Yes the Cajun tuning is valid but for a Maverick I don't know that it would work.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2011 9:39 am    

HERE is a link to a string gauge chart. You should be able to figure out the gauges you need for you cajun tuning. You can get the single strings from any music store or from the forum.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.