| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A first time try at doing a youtube live video
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2011 2:57 am    

Don't know if it will sound (somewhat) familiar or not. When your getting over the flu, it does crazy things to you sometimes.

click here for youtube

All comments are welcome as always, whether good, bad, or indifferent........ Don
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2011 4:03 am    

Sounds familiar alright, and not half bad if you're in the process of "playing off the flu" Smile

But, the masking effect of chorus/delay and compression on the steel in your recording, is so high that to me it sounds "synthetic".
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2011 4:22 am    

Hi George, and thanks so very much for your honesty. My Lil Brother Nic, told me the exact same thing. Smile

I really appreciate you taking the time to give a listen.

I'll have another one coming along possibly later on today, that will be completely dry steel, no nothing. That will be using this same steel. A Black 2005 Carter.

The next one is also based on the same player's version of the song. I don't use tab, I simply listen and listen and in the above case, watched the video, many, times over to get the initial positions close.

After doing the next one, from there on out I'll be doing my own versions of the tunes I do. It's a whole lot easier... Because first and foremost, there's no shoes really big enough to do a rightful job, in even attempting to play as John did. But, that's my small contribution, to one of the best ever. So even being close to getting it right is a rough job, at best... Smile

Thanks again for listening........ Don
Ken Adkins

Galena, Mo
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2011 4:52 pm     look at us

Don, that was very good!
Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2011 5:27 pm    

Hey Don, my old friend from Jersey. You did a super job playing that.
Very good playing and nice pretty sound. I use about as much effects
as you did on this, but I do because my playing is nowhere as good as
yours and it sure makes me sound a lot better than I really am (Ha,Ha) Laughing
Keep up the good work, and hope you get feeling better real soon.
Carl "Lucky" Kilmer

New Jersey
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2011 8:07 am    

Hi Ken,

Thanks, and glad you liked it. Admittingly, a bit too heavy on effects for some, and for others? You know the old saying. We all hear things quite differently. One from another. So what satisfies one won't (at times) always satisfy another.

Glad you liked it regardless. Smile

Thanks,
Don
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2011 8:27 am    

Hey Carl, Us old dudes, have to use all we can and then some. Very Happy Glad you liked it.

I always ask for other's opinions, as to how they find things to be. Then I sit back and listen to see what my feelings are on what's been said. It's my way (I guess) of trying to improve my playing. And just as I state. No offense is ever taken.

I find it a good way of bringing my own attention to what's being said. Then, I determine, whether or not I choose to change what or how I play/ed a tune.

Again, knowing we all don't play alike. "That would be bad". So it ends up being a "Garden Variety" of many different ways and styles of playing. And it's fun (especially when you're no longer working at it for a living) to sit back and get other's opinions on things. So it's therefore, that I do, definitely appreciate hearing all of them.

Don't put yourself down you've been around for a long while too.. Very Happy,,,,,,,,, Keep up the good work. You've been through a whole lot too.

Your friend,
Don
Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Detroit, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2011 3:34 am    

Hi Don! Smile
On a personal level, I truly enjoyed your playing. I think for the first time out on you tube, a musician usually has to get his/her bearings to improve the quality of sound. You are getting there!
Also, I might add, if it helps, try a little less reverb. I feel it might balance your quality of recorded sound.(I.M.H.O.) Keep up the good work, I personally want to hear more. You`ve got the touch!
Bishop Ronnie P. Hall (Ron)
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2011 6:49 am    

Hi Bishop Ron,

Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate everyone's replies. I know when I ask for other's opinions, I'm going to get advice (hopefully) that will bring my attention to certain aspects, of my playing, as to where I need to be focusing my attention on. And I know they're not always going to be what some would want to hear. And yet, I believe it serves to keep an open mind, and take in, all that's said.

Maybe I shouldn't ask for advice, on how my playing sounded and just put them out there for the folks to hear, and let it go at that. But I think that's for folks who (maybe) can't take criticism to well. While on the other hand, we all like to be praised, but most don't like to hear the negative responses.

So you might say, I'm simply giving back, what I've dished out to lots of people when they've asked for comments on their (his/her) playing. And have found that for the most part, they Really never wanted the truth at all. They wanted praise, but couldn't deal with anything objectionable. So this is their chance to get back at me. So it's all appreciated, and I believe it will help me get back to where I once was (or close to it) in the long run.

You my friend, have a very unique style of playing that I find quite different, and yet very pleasant to listen to.

Keep up the great work.

And, thanks so very much for the advice as well.

Your friend,
Don
Danny Goble

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2011 6:12 pm     Don Brown, Sr.

Hey Don, I just listened to your version of (look at us). One of Vince's great songs. Real good job, keep them coming. Danny Goble (pro111custom).

New Jersey
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2011 10:02 am    

Hi Danny,

Thanks a whole lot, and glad you liked it. Going for the 6th tune sometime this evening or between now and Friday. This one will be again, a dry (no effects) steel on my Black D-10 Carter. Then I'll be switching over to the Red D-10 Carter for a couple of tunes, in order to compare how each records.

Thanks again, and hope you like my new tune, that's soon to be on Youtube too........ Don

PS: I also want to thank everyone who's listened and those who've taken their time and given me advice on how they've heard them as being too.

It's all much appreciated.

Thanks to all, and our Best to each of you. Smile

Don